Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

Hi Everyone! First time posting here. I just purchased Biossance’s Squalane Phyto Retinol Serum and after one use (overnight), I woke up with a terrible reaction. My face/eyes/mouth were swollen, red and burning. It progressively got worse and now on day 2, my face is still swollen and I’ve now broken out  with whiteheads ALL over the place. It’s burning and painful. This serum is the only change I made in my skincare regimen, and I generally do not have very sensitive skin. This is the first time I have ever experienced a reaction, and I have used retinol before without any issues. 

Please help! How do I fix this? What can I do to treat it? Thank you in advance!! I really appreciate your help!!

Re: HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

I had the same thing happen to me with Biossance Squalene and Vitamin C Rose Moisturizer. My face was red, sore and puffy. I am not prone to sensitivities at all so I stopped using the cream. I remember a few months back I tried another brand of Squalene / Bakuchiol and Vitamin C and it didn't the same thing so allergies to either Vitamin C, Rose or Squalene must be pretty common after reading on this thread! 

Take care everyone! 

#Biossance #squalene #vitaminc #rose 

Thank you for posting this! I’ve loved the omega repair cream and used it for over a year. All of a sudden I started getting this raised, red, peeling reaction on my upper lip. It was like a constant flaking and raised plaque. Finally… I realized it had to be my moisturizer. I’m so confused at how my holy grail product became a nightmare to use! Reading this makes me feel so much better that it’s not just me. Your reaction sounds terrible, I hope you’re feeling better!

I agree with @kmroulston 💗 be cautious about what products you're mixing 💞 always start with clean skin 💕 @kimberlyP99 

IMG_5415.jpegMe too!! This happened several months ago and I wasn’t exactly sure what the problem was. I discontinued all Biossance products immediately and it eventually healed. Well, stupid me went out of town and had some samples of Biossance and tried them. Same story. Argh. So it’s definitely Biossance that is doing this. Same reaction as many have mentioned tiny painful/itchy puss filled bumps. Last time after the bumps it was like a burn. I’m sure that’s next. Ugh. I’ve never reacted to a skincare product like this. 🥴 

Me also. Purchased numerous Biossance Squalane products and had horrible read ruin, sunburned skin, bumps and itchiness. So sad, was so excited to try them. I’ve never had allergic reactions to beauty products. These were the only new products I used that day/night. The picture is not when it was at its worst. I’m a high school nurse and students and coworkers were asking what was wrong.

02431381-1B4B-4536-A2E3-027C66A7EA70.png

ME TOO!!! I'd been using the Biossance with rose oil and other Biossance products with squalane. No problems until one night I used the Biossance Squalane & Zinc cream. (I also had a very yummy Indian dinner with cashews and cashew cream, so my doctor thought that was the cause. After a few weeks, I very cautiously tried cashews and *that's not it*.) I had a "burnt" feeling and appearance - swollen, red, itchy beyond belief, little blisters - lasted for nearly a week. Last night I tried putting a bit of the squalane cream on my face and woke up in the middle of the night to all of that TIMES A MILLION.  The pharmacist reminded me that allergic reactions don't stay the same intensity: if you're allergic to something, your body is trying to tell you something so the reaction if it's exposed to the allergen again is a lot worse. I only put it on half my neck and there is a clear demarcation, however, the reaction (itching, uncomfortable) is spreading throughout my body now, even though I took the prescription antihistamine at 5 this morning. I wish I had just tried it on a tiny spot on my arm or something. Now I am absolutely frightening to look at: bright red face (and half my neck), incredibly swollen, itchy and blistered. I've got heavy-duty night-time prescription antihistamine and hopefully that will help.

#https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/biossance-squalane-zinc-sheer-mineral-sunscreen-spf-30-pa-P479...

The pharmacist says I'm just lucky I didn't go into anaphylactic shock. 

I just had an allergic reaction to the Biossance squalene + mineral sheet sunscreen… it was initially fine at first, but yesterday it made my cheeks/neck/earlobes itchy, red, and inflamed. My earlobes are swollen. 

hello, all I can advise you is to go see this video of the two professors specializing in this field, it's been like a while that I follow them, they really have good advice. 
https://exe.io/GEftakx (just skip thos ADS)

Me too, I have sensitive skin and all the advertising on the beauty stat box said squalane is quick absorbing, no greasy feel, non-comedogenic, non- irritating, non- sensitizing. The company said this is a single ingredient 100% Squalane. So I thought great here is a product I can use. Wrong! Severe swollen face neck eyes just from a couple of drops.

Hi Kimberly,  I feel for you!!

1.   Benadryl - Read label to make sure it's ok for you to take (the "cautions" part on the side).  Follow the directions.

2.   Pillowcase - change your pillowcase and bedding to avoid putting your face into contact with the allergen again.

3.   Go to Shopper Drug Mart.  Buy Avene Tolerance cleanser and the matching lotion or heavier cream based on your skin type.   Only the Tolerance line.  Just those 2 items will help.   (Super short ingredient lists)

A similar thing happened to me with another product.  The above is what I figured out after having tried different things.

If you have to go out in public - use the avene body sunscreen on your face (it's titanium dioxide only) topped with Dermablend makeup and set with their powder -  gently.   Use this until your skin settles itself down from the allergic reaction.

Use Benadryl as you think is necessary  -  or go visit your family doctor.

Keep the Avene and Dermablend stuff for the future in case of something similar.

Have patience, and be gentle with your skin.  Take Care!!   Ann

it wasn’t this one but i tried biossance squalene + bha pore minimizing toner and i woke up to the same terrible reaction. my face was swollen and i started breaking out like crazy over the next few days and i had to immediately return and switched back to something my skin is used to. the breakout stopped but it took forever to get rid of the scarrings and cystic acne that developed.

i also found myself to have a mild reaction to rose oil/ products that contain rose extracts. when i first started my skincare routine i was gifted the fresh deep hydration moisturizer and picked up the matching rose toner because of how pretty the bottle is. i broke out continually for a few months but always thought it was due to my skin being already bad and acne-prone. i then get more invested in building a routine, which coincidentally excluded rose extracts and for the first time in many years i’ve managed to clear up my skin and making it look healthy. lesson learned: i need to be careful with ingredients that i might be reactive to and notice which ingredient specifically caused troubles to replace it in my routine 🙂

The same thing happened to me with a prescription retinol! 

So glad to have found this post. I've tried several of the products but I believe I've narrowed it down to the rose oil. That one did a number on my face. At first, I did get some irritation thinking perhaps it was the lactic acid or retinol. I then changed to using those every few days. I went on a trip and did not use the rose oil for about 10 days. Upon returning, I resumed using the oil. BAM!! Next day, full face irritation and rash; redness, dry, scaly skin, swelling, lips dry and cracked. It was horrible. I didn't know what until it dawned on me it was the rose oil. I've tried the other products with no reaction, but this....oh boy, never again. 

I also have had a bad reaction to the rose oil! Itchy red burning rash swollen eyes my neck in so red it almost feels burned. Went to the Dermatologist and he called in a prescription cream. I purchased the whole line🙈

I had a bad reaction as well . Burned skin . Couldn’t use rose 🌹 oil or retinol . Months later still going to Dermatologist. 

B072B80A-CFC9-4F6D-BACA-4F2C2A6B56F3.jpeg

I just had the same reaction to biossance squalane oil - my face was incredibly swollen so bad that my eyes were almost swollen shut. And now my skin is burning with a rough texture and is still swollen. I did not have any reaction the first time I put it on, so didn't think twice about the second application. DON'T BUY. 

same here  Severe allergic reaction.

I had the exact same reaction, but after using it for over a month consistently. I found it hard to believe, because it was working and I used probably half the bottle, but then 3 different times I was having skin reactions. I made sure this was the only "NEW" product I was using to test my fear/theory that it was the BIossance + Squalene vit C product that at first I was obsessed with, re: the results of dark spot removal.

Used it once 3 days ago and woke up to a swollen face and my eyes are almost shut with blurred vision. Going to see an ophthalmologist in two days because my vision is still having issues. I think I'm done with commercial beauty products for a while. This is the worst allergic reaction I've ever had to a product. Something is going on with my body and I'm becoming sensitive to the chemicals in these products. My skin is extremely dry and scaled and HURTS. Thank God I can wear a mask to hide my disgusting face and even my neck is burned. Definitely done with this brand forever.

Same here. Never have reacted to anything before and reacted to both the face and eye. Eyes swollen, face broke out now for several weeks and I never break out 

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • B072B80A-CFC9-4F6D-BACA-4F2C2A6B56F3.jpeg
  • 02431381-1B4B-4536-A2E3-027C66A7EA70.png
  • IMG_5415.jpeg
testing