Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Best Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid?

I'm looking for a facial cleanser with Salicylic Acid. I've heard of Salicylic Acid getting rid of blemishes and keeping new ones from forming. I've been using the Alba Botanica Coconut Milk face wash with the Alba Botanica hibiscus toner, and the Alba Botanica oil free aloe and green tea moisturizer. (I bet you can tell I love Alba Botanica) But it feels like the products are making my skin worse, my pores are widening and my skin is way oilier. Any recommendations? 

RE: Best Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid?

I love the cleansing oil from Lancôme. Remember oil attracts oil. It will be a gentle cleanse with a comfortable finish while still tearing acne.

@Beckyzelaya Yes! CeraVe SA Renewing Cleanser. The SA stands for Salicylic Acid. It’s gentle yet very effective. I use it everyday. Best part....$10 at the drugstore.

Re: RE: Best Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid?

Thank you so very much! My wallet will definitely like this product. I hope my face likes it as well.

Re: Best Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid?

@Beckyzelaya

Salicylic acid (also known as BHA) is indeed helpful in unclogging pores; it's an oil-soluble exfoliant that can work below the surface to help clean your pores from the inside out. However, since you just wash a cleanser right back off, its effectiveness will be limited if that's your only exposure to it. I'd recommend looking for either a liquid or lotion version instead, and stick with a gentle cleanser. Paula's Choice makes several versions of BHA; I don't know what your budget is like, but there are also drugstore versions available if that's more up your alley...I'm fairly certain Neutrogena has a BHA toner among other items.

As for oiliness in general, two changes in my routine fixed that for me almost immediately...I used to be an oil slick, but can now consider it under control, and I feel more like "normal skin" most days. 

1. Cut out any alcohol in your routine. I'm on my phone and BIC gets very grumpy when I try to swap tabs, so I haven't looked up your items to see if there's alcohol in them, but if there is, ditch them. Alcohol dries your skin out so that it just keeps producing more and more oil to compensate.

2. Add a little facial oil to your routine. I mix 3-4 drops with my moisturizer and it has worked wonders for me. Tarte Maracuja is good for a start, or SW Basics (and this one is fairly cheap, $28 iirc...available at Ulta and Target). A 1oz bottle will last practically forever (ok, maybe not forever, but likely a year or maybe even more), so the cost will be insignificant over time.

Good luck!

@Beckyzelaya Yes, I agree with @RGbrown!

Wow! Thank you so for much for the insightful information. I never really paid attention to the alcohol content in skincare products. But now I'll keep an eye out for them. I had always avoided putting facial oils, cause my face is super oily, but I'm willing to try it out. My bank account will definitely appreciate these particular products. I really appreciate your help!

I couldn't agree with this more. I'd focus on using a basic, gentle cleanser and then follow with a salicylic acid serum or treatment which will stay on your skin and provide more benefit. 

Thanks so much.

Try the Myra’s acne cleanser it’s very good for acne if you use it consistently morning and night

Re: RE: Best Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid?

I'm definitely consistent with my skincare routine. I'll look into it. Thank you!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing