cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this yearโ€™s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking ๐Ÿ’– with you all this year!

tenor

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: โ€œZโ€ and โ€œAโ€

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & Wโ€™Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somervilleโ€™s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

@Shosh85, Oooh, new masks from TCS fusion line! ๐Ÿ˜ Thanks for the heads up!  Some of those combinations sound really good. I think itโ€™s amusing (and counterintuitive at the same time) that their new releases sometimes pop up at TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Winners before they even appear on their own website. 

@itsfi  Yeah, I'm not sure how that works, but I'm not mad ๐Ÿ˜‰ If I know there's a chance of finding it at TJ Maxx, I don't feel so pressured to buy them at full price. The fusion line has some great masks, so these do seem more promising. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

New thread will be up tonight or tomorrow for the second part of the year!

A couple of masking sessions from this week; an "A" and a "duel" Searching for a "Z" to round out

the weekend.

Pine.jpg

Spoiler

Dl1.jpg

Spoiler

I know I've asked you this before lol but where did you find the nugg? And a rose version?? @eshoe ๐Ÿ˜†

@lmaster I found my first packet at a little boutique, @lmaster, but Iโ€™ve also found them at TJ Maxx. I believe I sent you a packet of the ๐ŸŒน, might be in your stash๐Ÿ˜‚

Ohhhh yes!!! @eshoe I have it in the zipper pouch!!! Thank you thank you

Ha well I used to keep my products tucked in โ€˜safe placesโ€™ all over the house, @lmaster. I had to consolidate because I couldnโ€™t find things when I would remember I even had them๐Ÿ˜‚

I pulled it out @eshoe I'm using it this week!!;๐Ÿ’œ Me too ๐Ÿคฃ I understand the struggle

@eshoe So happy you loved the sheet mask! The whole line is really great and I love that they all smell delicious! Have you tried any of the masks from this line?

What a fun duel! The Fresh powder is sooo good! - I love that scent! ๐ŸŠ

I am pretty sure this was the first one Iโ€™ve tried, @Shosh85 - and I have the other one you sent which Iโ€™m just as excited about! More masks to try, especially if they have just as yummy scents.

A Creme Shop coconut duel! ๐Ÿฅฅ82AC5140-B42E-4323-8A51-1100CFBD2F5A.jpeg

Spoiler

The Creme Shop Coconut Oil vs. Coconut Water

Material

Both were medium thickness cotton

Serum

Both had a gel serum.
The Coconut Oil mask was fully saturated with a little extra in the package

The Coconut Water mask was on the dry side with nothing extra in the package.

Scent

Both had a light coconut scent

Fit

Both fit the same - too long at the chin and forehead, too wide at the temples and the space between the eyes was also a tiny bit too wide

Wear Time

Coconut Oil: 25 minutes

Coconut Water: 20 minutes

Tack

Both were a little tacky, but absorbed in less than 10 minutes

Results

Coconut Oil: My face felt refreshed, soft, moisturized, slightly plumped and had a nice glow.

Coconut Water: My face felt refreshed, soft and lightly moisturized

Who wins?

The winner of this duel goes to Coconut Oil. It had much better results and more serum.

Repurchase?

Coconut Oil: Yes, but I wouldn't pay full price or go out of my way for it.

Coconut Water: No

Coconut Oil Ingredients:

Spoiler
D8CDC9B9-93FF-4E01-8B3C-472648E3861A.jpeg

Coconut Water Ingredients:

Spoiler
4C50B543-5249-4155-963A-9FC48A03F928.jpeg

Coconut!! Great choices for a duel theme @Shosh85! ๐Ÿฅฅ Iโ€™m usually partial to masks with coconut water in them as I can use the hydration year round and masks with coconut oil in the cooler seasons when my skin leans more dry and is need of hydration and moisture. 

@itsfi  I totally agree! I feel like anything with the word "oil" in the title is most likely a mask for colder months. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The Coconut water mask was near its expiration date, so I'm wondering if it would've been less dry had it been a fresher mask ๐Ÿค”

@Shosh85 another great duel!! Thanks for these reviews

Thanks @lmaster, mask dueling is pretty fun! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 I loved that you compared the oil vs. water variations of this mask! I wonder how much of a difference it would have made, had there been more serum in the water variety. Wondering if you have tried the TCFS coconut oil mask, and how this stacks up against it.

@eshoe  I have tried the TCFS coconut oil mask and I think I actually like a the Creme Shop one more. From what I remember they both hydrated and moisturized, but the TCFS mask kind of left a greasy/oily feel. I did make a note to try it again in the winter/colder months before I completely write it off though. 

Thatโ€™s very helpful feedback, @Shosh85! I really liked the TCFS one, so I will be on the lookout for TCS now. Thank you!๐Ÿ˜Š

@eshoe  I need to buy another TCFS Coconut Oil mask and try it again when it's colder - plus it's been a while and I need to refresh my memory. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My favorite TCFS mask is the Coconut Ceramide mask- that one will always be a repurchase.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Oh, you know @Shosh85 - I bet thatโ€™s the one Iโ€™m thinking of. Yep, just did a quick search and itโ€™s the ceramics one, not the oil, that I really liked. Probably had the best coconut scent form I mask Iโ€™ve tried yet!

@eshoe  The Coconut Ceramide mask was the first TCFS mask I tried and because I loved it so much I went through and tried all the masks from the brand - and I still ended up liking the Coconut Ceramide one the best. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

2 Replies
testing