Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hello lovely masking mavens! Please continue posting on the Q4 Thread which can be found here:

Spoiler

Many thanks to the wonderful @Aaliaa for beginning this thread and excited you are here. 

To Post:

Spoiler
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. Feel free to post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge; they are guidelines and just something we do for fun. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcomed!

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

Mask Hacks -
Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!

Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somervilleโ€™s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

Female-owned companies, for reference:

Spoiler
Amika (Co-Founder Vita Rayhkman)
Annieโ€™s Way (Annie Wu)
Beauty Pie (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Biobelle (4 sisters)
Bite Beauty (Founder Susanne Langmuir)
bkr (Co-Founders Kate Cutler and Tal Winter)
bliss Spa/bliss Skincare (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Briogeo (Nancy Twine)
By Terry (Terry De Gunzberg)
Captain Blankenship
Drunk Elephant (Tiffany Masterson) 
Esker (Shannon Davenport)
Glossier (Emily Weiss) 
Glow Recipe/Sweet Chef (Sarah Lee & Christine Chang)
Herbivore (partners Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow)
Honest Beauty (Jessica Alba)
Indie Lee
Josie Maran
Jane Iredale
Juice Beauty (Karen Behnke)
June Jacobs
Kate Somerville
Kora Organics (Miranda Kerr)
Dr. Loretta
NuFace (Carol Cole)
Odacite (Valerie Grandury)
Omorovicza (husband and wife Stephen and Margaret de Heinrich de Omorovicza)
Ouai (Jen Atkin)
Pacifica Beauty (Brook Harvey-Taylor and husband Billy Taylor)
Pai (Sarah Brown)
Peach & Lily/Peach Slices (Alicia Yoon)
Pixi (Petra Strand)
Purlisse (Jennifer Yen)
Rael (Yanghee Paik)
Sand & Sky (twin sisters Emily and Sarah Hamilton)
Saint Jane (Casey Georgsson)
Sara Happ
Skin Laundry (Yen Reis)
Soap & Glory (Founder Marcia Kilgore)
Soko Glam (husband and wife Charlotte and David Cho)
Sol de Janeiro (Heela Yang, Co-Founder)
Summer Fridays (Founders Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores Ireland)
Jill Stuart
tarte (Maureen Kelly)
Tata Harper
Tatcha (Vicky Tsai)
Charlotte Tillbury
Wander Beauty (Co-Founders Divya Gugnani and Lindsay Ellingson)
Joanna Vargas
Yadah Cosmetics (Founder and CEO Anna Kang)

DelayedNeglectedDragonfly-size_restricted

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge Schedule

Spoiler

WEEK     LETTER       THEME

Jul 1 - 7          A           Hydrating Masks to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning! Meetup: Crรจme Shop -My Melody Softer than Cookies -  Saturday July 6th. Thank you @lmaster!  

Jul 8 - 14        B           Masking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happy 

Jul 15 - 21      C           Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 

Jul 22 - 28      D          โ€™Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders! 

Jul 29 - Aug 4 E           Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 

Aug 5 - 11       F           Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash! Meetup: Biobelle #Peachy mask Saturday 8/10

Aug 12 - 18     G           Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why? Meetup: Biobelle Pineapple mask Saturday 8/17
Aug 19 - 25     H           Drugstore & Grocery Brands Week 

Aug 26 - Sep 1 I           Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask 

Sep 2 - 8          J          Rainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hue Thanks to @Sonnydee

Sep 9 - 15       K           Autumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 

Sep 16 - 22     L           When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that  Glow Meetup: Lookatme Watermelon Saturday 9/21 thanks to @GalPalVal17 and @ShortErica
Sep 23 - 29
     M          BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 

Sep 30 - Oct 6 N          Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 

Oct 7 - 13        O           French Pharmacy Week 

Oct 14 - 20      P           Ends of the Earth - masks that use ingredients from or are made in far away places 

Oct 21 - 27      Q          Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 

Oct 28 - Nov 3 R          Duel Week V2.0 & Mask Meetup thank you @mrsmouse for suggesting the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask!

Nov 4 - 10        S          Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 

Nov 11 - 17      T          Gross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients? 

Nov 18 - 24      U          Flash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the time 

Nov 25 - Dec 1 V          Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 

Dec 2 - 8          W          Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their ways 

Dec 9 - 15        X           Sample Dive - I know we have them! 

Dec 16 - 22      Y           Holiday Party Prep Mask 

Dec 23 - 31       Z          Masks you discovered in 2019

First Half of 2019:

Spoiler

Jan 1 - 6     A    Masks you discovered in 2018 - What new loves did you discover last year?
Jan 7 - 13    B   Favourite Mask of the โ€œMasking Week Challenge 2018โ€ 
Jan 14 - 20  C   Favourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?@itsfi
Jan 21 - 27  D   
Clean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilt

Jan 28 - Feb 3 E  Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin
Feb 4 - 10    F     Vitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and minerals@Kim888
Feb 11 - 17  G     Special Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourself@itsfi
Feb 18 - 24  H     Gross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!@Aaliaa
Feb 25 - Mar 3 I   Spring Flowers - floral ingredients or scents that add a spring to your step
Mar 4 - 10    J      Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8th
Mar 11 - 17  K      Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Mar 18 - 24   L     Sample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!@itsfi
Mar 25 - 31  M     Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??
Apr 1 - 7       N     BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members
Apr 8 - 14     O     The Oozoo Week - share your Oozoo and Neogen loves!

Meetup: The OOZOO Capsule Rose Petal -  Saturday April 13th. @Shosh85
Apr 15 - 21    P     Luxe it Up or a Pretty on a Penny - the $ and the $$$$ of Masks
Apr 22 - 28    Q     Sample Dive - I know we have them!
Apr 29 - May 5  R  Sephoraโ€™s โ€˜Best Sellingโ€™ Masks 
Meetup: Sephora Collection Honey Face Mask -  Saturday May 4th. Thank you @missjeanie!  May 6 - 12      S     Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar
May 13 - 19    T     Summer Masks to refresh and sooth during sunny months May 20 - 26    U     Fruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skin@Keana1
May 27 - Jun 2  V   Guess this Mask - using only a pic or description, see if you can stump fellow BIC masking mavens. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask- Your pick Saturday June 1. Thank you @faeriegirlMeetup: Mediheal Vita Lightbeam Essential Mask EX Wednesday 5/29 thanks to @ShortErica & @Shosh85  
Jun 3 - 9         W     DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry. 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 2.0
Jun 10 - 16      X     Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Meetup: Bawdy Butt Mask 3.0
Jun 17 - 23      Y     Masks you've discovered so far in 2019. 
Meetup: Yadah All Day Mask Pack - Your pick Saturday June 22. Thank you @ShortErica!           Meet up: Bawdy Butt Mask 4.0 - The Finale 
Jun 24 - 30      Z      Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Masking Surveys Thread: Curious about others' masking habits? Join the fun w/ @ShortErica: 

Spoiler

Next Mask Meetup Info: Crรจme Shop - thanks to @GalPalVal17 date and mask TBD in October ALSO just added: Halloween Wish Formula Bat Mask Meetup thanks to @mrsmouse ! Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.56.17 PM.png 

Spoiler
We have scheduled monthly meetups as well as impromptu sessions because you cannot compare masks only once a month :D. Please check the 2019 Schedule to see what meetups are coming up next. If you have an idea for a weekโ€™s Meetup or a particular month, tag me so I can add it to the schedule.

April: The Oozoo Rose Capsule, April 13th
May: Sephora Collection Mask - Honey Mask, May 4th (Thank you @missjeanie!) 
June: Bawdy Butt Mask Month. Let's try all four masks, one a Saturday (Thank you @faeriegirl!) On the 22nd we will also be trying out a Yadah mask - your pick, thanks to @ShortErica
July: @lmaster suggested a Crรจme Shop Sanrio Mask for our July 6th meetup, and you all voted for the My Melody Softer Than Cookies.

August: Biobelle Tutti Frutti Collection - the Peach is on deck for our mid-summer masking! Join us Saturday August 10th to compare notes on this mask. Then Saturday August 17th we will be comparing the Biobelle Pineapple mask. Thank you @lmaster@Shosh85 & @PrettyPaint for suggesting Biobelle!
September: @ShortErica and @GalPalVal17 are interested in everyone's thoughts on the Lookatme Watermelon Face Mask. Join us Saturday, September 21st for the fun!
October@GalPalVal17 suggested a Crรจme Shop Mask, will update with more info. ALSO: October 31st join us for the Wish Formula Bat Eye Mask thanks to @mrsmouse!

Re: 2019 Mask of the Week Challenge

@lmaster I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed these!! They sound so wonderful! I tried the Panda one not long ago and enjoyed it as well!! I think the only thing that was "just ok" for me was the scent, it wasn't bad, just not fantastic โ€“ but I do have super picky nose, so it could just be me! Haha! ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ˜‚

This panda one was two eye masks, shaped like your typical under eye mask. Was the one you used like a while face mask?

@lmaster I used this exact one. I'm not talking about the one I just recently used... I really like pandas! Haha! This one I used back in September.

Oh ok, @Shosh85  I didn't notice a scent,,, but I also didn't try to smell them either lol I know it's odd, but I don't usually smell things quickly bc I'm a mouth breather, ๐Ÿ˜‚so unless it's a very over powering scent, I won't even notice unless I make a point to smell it.

@lmaster Haha! I totally get it! It had a citrusy vitamin C smell, but a little like pledge to me โ€“ wasn't a bad scent and not overbearing, just not great! 

Ok @Shosh85  I did order some from Ulta..I'm so going to smell them ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

@lmaster Haha! I should order them again and re-smell them!! I'm just super sensitive to scents, so it's probably just me๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘ƒ

@lmaster wow! These sound like excellent masks! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I feel like Iโ€™ve seen that panda ๐Ÿผ mask before; I just canโ€™t recall if it was on the mask thread or if I had placed it in my online shopping cart! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰ The panda mask looks like it contains some really good ingredients.

@itsfi I received these from beauteque monthly this month, they were calling my name ๐Ÿ˜‰

@itsfi ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™€๏ธ I reviewed these a while back.... you have a great memory! ๐Ÿผ

@Shosh85 oh I'm loving these

Sounds like two winners! Glad these both worked so well for you, @lmaster!

Thank you @quspork these were great!! 

Hey that Panda mask is the same brand that makes the Bat mask you liked @lmaster ! Sounds like a great mask. Did the Frienvita one come in a Facetory box? It looks familiar for some reason๐Ÿค”

@eshoe I think it was beauteque monthly.... But I did cancel that one, so I shouldn't get anymore from them, but I'm glad I did this month

Thanks @eshoe starting a new thread! I have a pretty A1 lineup for this week theme, vitamins and minerals ๐Ÿ˜ but first - have any of you tried this?? Iโ€™ve been seeing a few pop up at my local winners/Marshallโ€™s for about half the price and was intrigued. I mainly didnโ€™t pick it up because I was concerned it had been discontinued or had poor sales to end up there, but seems to be still available full-price on the site so now Iโ€™m less sure. The reviews are mixed 885B79CA-72B3-4E1E-827D-159BF78CA0E6.jpeg

@cianni  I had a deluxe sample of this awhile ago, but never really noticed any sort of difference between when I used it and when I didn't. I did try with a variety of masks and it just didn't do anything for me, unfortunately. 

@quspork Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m not the only one who felt this way about this one. I remember reading all these rave reviews for it and I just thought โ€œhuh? Maybe itโ€™s just me?โ€ ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Definitely not just you, @itsfi! I'm glad some people thought it helped with their masking, but it just ended up being a "meh" product for me. Ah well! 

Youโ€™re welcome @cianni! I havenโ€™t heard of this one but it sounds like you have a few helpful responses already๐Ÿ˜Š

@cianni, I received a DS in a sub boxes around the time the product first launched. For me personally, it didnโ€™t add anything to my routine that I couldnโ€™t get with using a toner or essence before my mask. I ended up not using the entire DS.

I think Origins may be reformulating and/or redesigning the look of some of their products and that may be the reason there are more Origins products at Winners, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

@missjeanie 

8 Replies
testing