Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

What to incorporate in my routine?

Hi! Ive been trying to get the basics of skincare and use new products which some actually worked for me. For example, I used to have a lot of acne around my forehead but it’s less targeted there now which I don’t have to worry about as much. However, my new problems are pores and blackheads mostly around my cheeks and nose, sometimes on the forehead. Also previous acne marks. I’m not really sure how to overcome these and I need some help figuring out my routine. Such as what products to use and when or how many times a week, Etc. 
EFA79F3F-7E47-4F10-922E-6992BAD1BFBB.jpeg

Re: What to incorporate in my routine?

@Breadsticks what products are you currently using in your routine? would you consider yourself to have sensitive skin?

without knowing what else you have in your routine that you like, here are some general suggestions for your concerns!

blackheads - salicylic acid will be your best friend! as a bonus, you can fid this ingredient in a number of formulations, so you can incorporate it however you like (cleanser, toner, serum etc). some recommendations i have are  IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Breakout 2% Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment #The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Exfoliating Blemish Solution 1 oz / 30 mL #Caudalie Vinopure Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Toner 6.7 oz/ 200 ml Caudalie Vinopure Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . the inkey list has some great products as well. as long as it has that ingredient!

for acne flares, definitely use pimple patches. there are tons of great options, whichever you choose, but they help keep your pimple from being touched/more bacteria getting in, and heal faster, which will reduce any marks or scarring. the Peace Out Acne Mega, 2.0 is a BIC favourite, but there are many drugstore options too. i also love the Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Booster 1.0 oz/ 30 mL (the whole Dermalogica Clear Start line is really incredible actually!)

for previous acne marks, you have a few options. some contain AHA or BHA's (which are acids and should not be overdone or used at the same time as the salicylic acid. id recommend one at night and one in the morning if youre using them on the same day, and probably only a couple times per week). recommendations with acids: OLEHENRIKSEN Glow2OH 7% AHA Exfoliating Dark Spot Toner First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads with Glycolic + Lactic Acids  . if you're new to acids, be careful working your way up, as your skin may be sensitive to them!

niacinamide is also a great brightening ingredient, and can be used more regularly, as it isnt as harsh as the acids. some recommendations are Fenty Skin Watch Ya Tone 5% Niacinamide Dark Spot Serum with Vitamin C 1 oz / 30 mL Refill The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL #The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum 

lastly, this one is a bit of a splurge, but i used this religiously for a few years and it totally changed my skin - Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum . the entire Vinoperfect line is targeting towards evening out skin tone and reducing hyperpigmentation, and it did an amazing job. both of my cheeks were full of marks from previous acne, almost to the point where my skin looked dull and gray. i started noticing a difference after a few months, and people started commenting on how glowy and even my skin was around 5-6 months of use.

@cianni Thank you so much for all the recommendations!! I definitely seem interested in some products you shared with me.

if you wanted to know, I am currently using:

#Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant (About 2-3 times a week in the PM)

#Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Lotion (For AM)

#Cerave Moisturizing Cream (For PM)

#Good Molecules Niacinamide Serum (PM)

I’ve also been trying #Rescue balm for my post blemishes which I’m not sure if it’s been  working or not.

I did consider my skin sensitive at first especially to CeraVe’s foaming facial cleanser and some other products. But now my skin feels like it’s able to handle it. 

Thanks again for your time!!

@Breadsticks anytime!! just as a tip from a fellow sensitive-skin person: foaming cleansers tend to be a little more aggressive on the skin. i dont know the name of the ingredient, but whatever ingredient is used to "create" the foam isnt always sensitive-skin friendly!

also i didnt see an SPF in your AM routine - trust me, it's sooo important to incorporate something that is at least spf 30. not only is it great for anti-aging, skin health and of course skin cancer prevention, but it'll help existing hyperpigmentation and dark spots from getting worse! anything comedogenic (means it wont clog pores) will be perfect!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
Photos1
  • EFA79F3F-7E47-4F10-922E-6992BAD1BFBB.jpeg
testing