cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

The Ordinary

Hi there,

I need some advice about Ordinary skincare products which I got some days ago, unfortunately, the person who recommended me to buy these products didn't explain appropriately how to use them and just said mix all of them and apply on your skin twice a day, now my face looks like it burnt 😢

I send you a picture of the products that I got and it would be highly appreciated if you explain how to use them during the day. #Ordinary

IMG_20210917_101527.jpg

Re: The Ordinary

Hi @Samira64 ! Ouch, sorry your skin’s reacted badly! Stop using all of those products until your skin feels better. For now, you should just use a gentle cleanser, maybe a very gentle skin soothing product if your skin's very painful (depends on what your skin tolerates: centella asiatica, colloidal oats, aloe vera, and licorice root are good soothers; taking an antihistamine can also help, along with using a cold compress on your face), a good moisturizer, and daily sunscreen. 

When your skin’s healed, introduce these new serums to your face one at a time: pick just one serum, use it for a while to see how your skin reacts, and then introduce another serum. Don’t throw all 4 serums at your skin at once. Eventually you can try layering some of them: apply one serum, give it a few seconds to soak into your skin, and then apply another serum. 

Order of introduction, were I using all of these on my own skin: 

Spoiler

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL: Should be safe for daily use, but try using it just a few days a week at first and watch for any bad skin reactions. Always apply this one to damp skin: this helps hyaluronic acid sink into skin and gives it more moisture to pull in. 

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum Niacinamide’s a great ingredient, but 10% is stronger than some people’s skin can handle. In case you’re one of those folks: use this just a couple days a week—and just once a day—for a while to see how your skin reacts to it. This can be used daily if your skin tolerates it. 

The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLLike the previous 2 serums, give this a trial run of a few days a week to see how your skin handles it. Should be safe for daily use unless you’re sensitive to any of its ingredients. Note that this serum contains a form of hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate), so you might not need to layer the hyaluronic acid serum with this alpha arbutin serum. Depends on how dehydrated your skin is. 

The Ordinary Retinol 1% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLRetinol’s a form of vitamin A, which can be very irritating and drying. Start very slowly with this serum. Use it once a week for a few weeks. Then increase usage to twice a week (but never twice a day) for a while. Keep gradually increasing use until you’re at a comfy-for-you frequency, like daily or every other day. Never use it twice on the same day. 

Most folks use retinol (and other forms of vitamin A) at night. You can use it in the morning instead, but note that sunlight can cause vitamin A to break down because it’s light-sensitive. Since The Ordinary instructs folks to use this serum at night, I assume it’s not formulated to prevent that sunlight breakdown. So, just use it at night. 

Oh, and you might experience a sudden acne breakout within the first month of using retinol. That’s most likely retinol “purging” gunk from your pores. (Vitamin A boosts your skin cell renewal cycle. In the process, it can also speed up your acne cycle.) If it lasts longer than a month and comes with red burning skin, then it’s probably a bad reaction instead of acne and you should stop using this serum. 

Once you’re past the intro period of each serum: you don’t have to use all 4 serums on the same day or at the same time of day. For instance, you could use alpha arbutin and niacinamide in the morning, and retinol and hyaluronic acid at night. In fact, a hyaluronic acid serum can help keep your skin hydrated while using retinol, since vitamin A can be drying. If you find retinol’s too irritating, try applying it after your moisturizer to buffer the side effects. 

The exact order and days you use these serums depends partly on the rest of your existing skincare routine. Without knowing all products (brand + product name) you currently use, I can't suggest a step-by-step routine for you. Though I will say this: if you already use a retinol or other vitamin A product, then you shouldn't also use The Ordinary's unless you plan to use it someplace you don't use the other one. (I use a retinol serum on my neck and under my eyes, and a stronger retinaldehyde serum on the rest of my face.) 

Hope your skin feels better soon! 

What products (cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen) are you using in your routine currently, @Samira64

Just to get you to know my skin type is oily and sensitive to use any skin care product it reacts with appearing some acne, but regularly I don't have active acne, and one more thing to add, I'm 36 years old.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_20210917_101527.jpg
testing