Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

Sunday Riley Luna vs A+ Retinol Serum

What is the difference between the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Retinoid Night Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL  and the Sunday Riley A+ High-Dose Retinol Serum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL ?   I read the product descriptions already, so please don't just copy and paste those 🙂

In other words, what I'm asking is - why would someone choose one of those two products over the other?

For reference: 26F, acne-prone for over 10 years (plus recent issues with maskne since I work in healthcare), combo skin, fine lines on forehead. getting married in a few months and want to have my skin as clear and bright as possible.

Thanks!

Re: Sunday Riley Luna vs A+ Retinol Serum

The amount and type of retinol differs between these products. As well as a difference in delivery method (oil versus serum). @AlyssaM94 

Luna is the lower % with 2% trans-retinoic acid ester in an oil. This is supposed to be a more gentle formulation because it has to go through a few chemical reactions to become the active form. Although it is an oil, SR recommends applying it right away after toning, rather than at the end of the routine. I have dry skin, and it still takes a fair while to absorb before I can layer other products.

A+ is 6.5% solution to the skin and is a combination of 5% retinoid ester blend, 1% liposomal-encapsulated retinol blend and 0.5% blue-algae. It has a higher concentration of the ester and also encapsulated retinol (which is supposed to be released slowly, but once released will act quicker than the esters). It is a medium thickness serum, so should be applied after cleansing/toning as well.

At your age, definitely talk to a dermatologist, even digitally, if you can. But generally you should be using a lower % one to start. Start once or twice a week, and wear sunscreen!

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing