Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

The Nail Stamping Thread

I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to nail stamping. Are you a veteran stamper, or just wanting to get started? Let's share our love of stamped manicures! Post your stamping plate collections, your stamping successes and failures, and favourite polishes to stamp with. 1506281330618.jpeg

Re: The Nail Stamping Thread

So cool!  Thanks for the video @Beadshopgirl💕

Thank you very much! I'll definitely give this a looksie 💋

@Beadshopgirl Good idea on this thread! I'm very interest...

@Beadshopgirl Good idea on this thread! I'm very interested in this and have always wanted to try my hand at it. (Pun intended, haha) Any beginner's kits or instructionals easy to find/use?

Re: @Beadshopgirl Good idea on this thread! I'm very interest...

@KemoLove I just wrote out a detailed post below. I'll edit it to tag you. 

Re: @Beadshopgirl Good idea on this thread! I'm very interest...

Thanks again! 💋

Who else is excited for Halloween stamped manis??? I can't wait! It's so hard to take photos of shiny metal plates!It's so hard to take photos of shiny metal plates!

Oh, these are so very pretty! Heart 

@ZombieMetroAnt You know, they have zombie stamping plates! Check out this plate from ÜberChic!I don't have this one, but I think I need it!I don't have this one, but I think I need it!

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

Where do you find these? I've just decided to try nail art, I've got a bunch of mysterious brushes so far, a lot of really cheap (but good) polishes coming, and hoping that I'll figure out the rest pretty soon! Is there any particular source you'd recommend for instructions before I make a real mess?

@Anonymous Are you referring to the ÜberChic plates, or stamping plates in general? There are lots of good YouTube videos for stamping tips, and I'm happy to help you with technical advice. 

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

Plates in general. This is the first time I've seen them, I've just been on Amazon trying to figure it out. I see that you need the plate, a scraper, a stamper. Do you need special nail polish to put on the plate to make the pattern? Or can you use regular polish? And latex stuff to put around the nail, to help clear up the mess?

If you could get me started with a list and the best place, if that's not too much to ask? I can find YouTube videos (I hope). The stuff on Amazon doesn't have high ratings but sometimes that doesn't mean anything, are there any features you should look for?

I buy my plates from MoYou London (https://moyou.co.uk or http://www.beautometry.com) and Pueen (amazon). It can get really addicting, so I usually buy them in bulk when they go on sale, but the Pueen sets have a good variety for less than $20. I tried the latex around the nail, but it smells real bad; maybe someone can suggest a non-smelly brand? I usually paint my nails an hour or so before I go to bed, and then at the end of my shower in the morning, I just scrape off the excess nail polish from the stamping. My advice is to scrape on a 45 degree angle with the scraper, use a clear stamper (I love the MoYou London rectangular one best), be quick picking up the design after you scrape, and be quickish when stamping. If you wait too long, it will not fully transfer. I prefer stamping polishes because they are much more opaque than regular nail polish. I also LOVE that MoYou has a topcoat that does not smear your design. It smells funky, but works amazing! I use a lint roller for leaning off my stamper between uses and I use a cotton ball holder (Manicure Saver Cotton Claw from Sally Beauty Supply) with acetone on it to clean off the plate between stamps. When this thread talks about more advanced stamping techniques, I will post more, but I don't want to overwhelm you as a newbie 🙂 I follow a lot of instagram nail accounts that often show stamping tutorials and the resulting manis: sveta_sanders , urbannailart, hanninator,  moyou-london are all good. If you are interested in my manis, my name on instagram is molecular_mama, but I don't have tutorials, just whatever mani I am wearing at the time.

Anonymous Insider

@PhysicalChemist

Thank you for all the good info! I just copied it all into a text file so I won't lose it.

I just wrote a long plea for help, I'm going to add your name to it. I need help, I am a total failure!!

@Anonymous If you're shopping on Amazon, there's a couple of nice sets from Cici & Sisi that a lot of people like. You also can buy the Born Pretty plates, which are good. Some of the really cheap plates out there are very shallowly etched, which can lead to sup-par results, so a well-etched plate is key. Konad was one of the first companies to popularize nail stamping, and their plates are very good, however somewhat unexciting. Their stamping polish is excellent. I highly recommend getting their Special White, and Special Black. As I already mentioned, my favourite stamping plates come from MoYou London, Messy Mansion, Clear Jelly Stamper, and Pueen. I usually purchase directly from those companies, although I purchase Pueen and MM through Nail Polish Canada. There are lots of other plate manufacturers, many of them in Europe.

I dont use stamping polish, with the exception of Black and White. I've found metallic and holographic polishes stamp very well, and even regular creme polishes, particularly if they're a little older and have thickened up slightly. Most of the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri line do a great job, but you have to work quickly because they are so fast drying. 

As for stampers, my preferred stamper is my Big Bling from Clear Jelly Stamper. I also have a couple of their other smaller clear stampers. My second favourite would be the rectangle stampers from Messy Mansion with the purple stamping heads. I also like the marshmallow-like sticky stampers I got from FUN. Honestly, I rarely use anything other than my clear stampers now that I'm used to them, because it's so great to see where you're placing the image. I have some really cheap, badly etched plates, that I can't lift an image unless I use my hard Konad stamper, but I rarely use them. I like to use gift cards as scrapers, and not a metal scraper. 

I've never used the latex, since I don't really mind clean-up with a brush. Regular sticky tape can remove the excess polish from around your nail. A lint roller is crucial for cleaning your stamper head, but you need to be cautious when using the super soft marshmallow heads. Lastly, it's handy to use clips to hold your cotton when you clean and dry your plate in between nails, so you don't get nail polish remover on your fresh manicure. 

You need to to experiment with top coats to see which ones won't smudge your art. I like Pro FX Quick Dry, Sally Hansen Mega Dry, Posche, and INM Out The Door. 

I think that's everything (at least for now). I didn't realize I was going to write a novel! 😜

I hope that was helpful!

edited to tag @KemoLove

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

I haven't even ordered anything yet and I have a question! Why do you prefer the Big Bling? Why not the Crystal Clear (also Clear Jelly)? Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I've only watched videos, but it looks like with the Big Bling you can't actually see through it because of the Bling layer? I don't have great eye-to-hand coordination (I think that's what it is), I don't think I could look at the pattern on the stamp and then position the stamp to get it where I want it on my nail, without being able to see through the stamp.

Edit: Where do you buy Konad special polish? 

@Anonymous As you can see from my photo below, the "bling" layer is just a cap that comes off, and the entire stamper is indeed see-through! I get my Konad polish from Nail Polish Canada. They ship to Canada and the US. 1506379666230.jpeg

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

Thank you, now I understand! I've watched about an hour of videos without seeing anybody stamp a nail! (They're all demonstrating on a lint roller.)

I finally ordered some stuff, it'll take awhile. Clear Jelly and Canada Nail seem to be sold out of a lot of stuff. I finally found a kit at Clear Jelly and ordered the Konad Black/White from Amazon (I don't trust Amazon for things like that, you never know if you'll get something that's too old to be used, because it's not coming from the manufacturer, or even from someone who got it from the manufacturer...). But I have lots of dark Essie colors that I can try!

Thank you, this looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

That is more than helpful! I've copied the whole thing into a text file so I don't lose it!!

It'll probably take me awhile to get all the stuff, so you'll probably have a little peace (at least from me) now. But don't be surprised if you get lots and lots of questions, I think I'm not the only one who's been trying to figure out where to start!

Many thanks! More kudos than Sephora will let me give you!

@Anonymous I'm so glad! If you're on Facebook there are stamping groups there, and I hope we can cultivate our own little stamping community right here on BIC! 

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

No, I'm not on Facebook. I think a little stamping and nail art group here would be great! Or maybe they should be separate? Not having any experience with either, I don't know if I'm talking apples and oranges or jalapenos and serranos!

But here we all start out with something in common. It's a smaller world, in the bigger world you'd be dealing with people who've never done their nails at all instead of people like me who have been manicure nuts for ages and this is a natural progression. I hope that makes sense.

Today my package of nail polishes should arrive. It's colors I wouldn't normally wear - dark greens, bright reds, dark blues (mostly Essie, maybe one Revlon, nothing more than $3). And some nudes for backgrounds, although I probably have plenty of background material already. My goal is to do a pale mani and then draw a flower on a nail. I'm starting small! 😉 If that works, we'll see what I can think of to do with all these little brushes. It's raining here so it's a good day to stay inside.

Anonymous Insider

@Beadshopgirl

I found the Konad stuff at Amazon, I think it answers most of my questions. 

This could turn into an expensive hobby, couldn't it?! And to think I was just browsing around, pretty much minding my own business, and then wham! LOL!!

Thank you!

19 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos26
  • 1506281330618.jpeg
  • Love my Konad black & white
  • It's so hard to take photos of shiny metal plates!
  • I don't have this one, but I think I need it!
  • 1506379666230.jpeg
  • IMG_2884.JPG
  • Used Pueen plate 104 and Konad White
  • 1506806805581885115534.jpg
  • IMG_20170930_213808173.jpg
  • Scraper edge
  • stamp2.jpg
  • stamp1.jpg
  • Screenshot_20171007-205828.png
  • 1507273376877.jpeg
  • 1507485845976.jpeg
testing