Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst! [2020 Edition]

I think we can all agree that this year was the worst overall but I’m redoing this tag again to hear all about your favorite and regret purchases of the year.  I love to read everyone’s responses and I think it’s a great way to look back on our purchases and review all our goodies.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year.

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself)

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity?

Here’s my answers! Can’t wait to see everybody’s answers!

1) Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette - I’d been wanting a cool toned neutrals palette and this hit the spot for me. 

2) Dior Dior Forever Skin Correct Full-Coverage Concealer - It creases under my eyes and I couldn’t get a good match. I also ended up returning the Natasha Denona Bronze Face Glow Palette , which didn’t work out at all for me. 

3) PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership VII Eyeshadow Palette - Divine Rose Collection 10 x 0.047 oz./ 1.32 g - I bought this with a Rouge Reward but I probably would’ve picked it up regardless. 

4) I think PMG and ND are the most hyped brands that I bought, and they are usually worth the hype for me. CT was also a big favorite of mine this year.

5) I think I spent less on makeup this year but more on clothes as I picked up some nicer pieces than I usually would. 

6) Lorac rebranded and released a few palettes with new formulas. The Noir palette is fantastic and really underrated. My only con with it is that it’s now made in China, which I tend to avoid in makeup. Otherwise, highly recommend it!

7) I’m really sad that I missed out on the Tom Ford Meteoric quad since it appears it was limited edition. Otherwise, I still really want the PMG Highlighter from her holiday collection and the PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership I Eyeshadow Palette - Subliminal .

😎 I still did a full face most days, although maybe a little less than previously. I did have to switch to more matte foundations and using more powder products that I would normally. 

9) I think we’ll keep seeing more minimalist and matte makeup.

10) My favorite self-care activity is curling up with a book and drinking coffee with some Cookie Butter powder in it.

I’m tagging my people from the US Secret Santa below! 

@sprocketta @WinglessOne @eshoe @danielledanielle @IttyxBittyxMe @Anastasiya13 @faeriegirl @ElleElleG @SportyGirly125 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst! [2020 Edition]

Great notes, @veronika23! I think pilling might be the word you are looking for🤔 I’ve had that happen with a sleeping mask and I could never tell if it was actual sloughing or just the product. Thank you so much!

Yessss!!! It's pilling!  Thanks @eshoe !!!  😊  I think it feels a bit more worth it if used as a night mask but it can get sticky lol 😂

Thank you very much for all that you do @CC3616. I am jealous that you can have microblading performed because I am a poor candidate for it. I am prone to keloids. Congratulations on your marriage. 

@Loretta55 Thank you! I'm sorry you aren't a good candidate for microblading, I was very sparse to start so it has defiantly changed my life! 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year.

Charlotte Tilbury supermodel brow. Probably my favorite of all the brow products Ive tried

2) A purchase you regret- why? Fenty cream gloss bomb in mauve wives. Comes out to pastel lilac on me.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Bought a lot of ND & Pat palettes. All great. The most "expensive" to me (because I paid greater amount for it, came from the UK) was a herbivore set I got from cult beauty. After I saw how much it was, I kicked myself & instantly regretted it but not after I saw everything irl😍💙💙💙

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Charlotte Tilbury lippies with the special cap. Researched the heck out of which shade to get, ended up with super you. Its my perfect nude😍

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years?

Less? 😳too scared to look though😂

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

Amore pacific foaming cleanser, everytime my face acts up..i remember i havent been using this as much.😥

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

Hmmmm ....colour pop hocus pocus palette. I remembered that it came out to late. I was going to get it for my mini though, not for me.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? I wore makeup less often. I don't wear makeup on a daily basis & when in person activites decreased -I had less opportunity to wear stuff

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? Dont really follow trends so 🤷

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself)

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity? Sheet masking, this year I hope to increase it even more.

Thanks for the tag @itsfi  it was fun

@sonnydee That Fenty mauve gloss pulls so wildly different on everyone, I know I was disappointed but because it went the opposite away from purple for me. Sorry it did not work for you 😞

Your photo of #fenty beauty by Rihanna gloss Bomb in Mauve Wives helped to enable my purchase of it @haleyvvvv . ( unable to tag) Sorry that it did not work out for you @sonnydee .

I'm glad it was helpful and I hope you like the shade, @Loretta55!! It is lovely, but just not, mauve-y enough for my liking.

I do agree that it is not mauvy enough for my liking either @haleyvvvv. It is still pretty. I also thought that unbuttoned was not mauvy enough either in the stunna line.

1.   Your favorite purchase of the year.

I pulled up my purchase history and I'm going over my list and it looks like a big bulk of the things that I ordered were gifts for people.  The item I was most excited about was the Anastasia Beverly Hills Amrezy Eyeshadow Palette -- it was the only thing I was able to go into store and get the day of launch.  I still use this palette whenever I want a low-fuss shadow look that I absolutely adore.

2.   A purchase you regret- why?

giphy

This is the look I'm giving myself everytime I think about ordering the J* Cremated eyeshadow palette.  That was my last purchase from his brand (I'm 99% sure at least.)

3.   Most expensive thing you purchased?  Was it worth the $$?

I did really good at consumerism this year.  For $250 I got Skinfix Tattoo Aftercare Balm and a tattoo that I'd been humoring for the past two years-  Tupac 2.11 (aka. Tupac - Keep Ya Head up).  It gives me major cool points whenever I try to make a new friend and it'll be a reminder of everything that matters to me, human rights issues and my own mental health.  

The most expensive single item that came my way in 2020 is perceived as something rap related by mostly everyone in my life.  That's the Sol de Janeiro Biggie Biggie Bum Bum Cream.  I 100% recommend.  

4.   Most hyped product you bought.  Was it worth it?

I think everything on my list got some buzz but I finally got the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter 1 - Fair and I'm so glad that I finally pulled the trigger.

5.   Did you spend more, less or the same as other years?

I probably spent 65% of my average amount. I started shopping at some other retailers which was nice.

6.   Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries?

Can I consider tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mL an underrated skincare find?  Lol.  I swear, Stephanie Nicole was the only person I ever heard talking about it.  

7.   A product you missed out on/something you're sleeping on but really really want?

I'm still trying to talk myself out of the HUDA BEAUTY Pastel Obsessions Eyeshadow Palette Lilac Obsessions and the Dior BACKSTAGE Glow Face Palette .  

8.   Did your makeup routine change?

I think everyone's makeup routine changed, at least a little bit.  Lip products are basically obsolete in my daily life.  Emphasis on the brows/lashes and very minimal everything else.  

9.   What makeup trends do you predict will be big this year?

I'm thinking 2021 is going to have a few things up it's sleeve for us.  Unlike 2020, I think it's going to be more pleasant surprises.  

Spoiler
Chaos%2BCosmetics%2BGEL%2BMultichrome

I think this is going to be the year multichrome products really come to the mainstream.  I think ND was just sticking her toes in and the rest of the brands are going to try to follow suit.
Spoiler
ultrablotted4
I think low maintenance, sheer lip stains are going to be all the rage for mask etiquette.

10.  What's your favorite self-care item or step?

I'm sorry but the only self-care thing that my little heart needs right now is a little lot of extra moisture.  I wash my hands way too much and hand creams and body moisturizers/butters are the only thing that I need.  

Aaah, that multichrome gif, @Nickelliebear1, such pretty swatches!!

Yes to extra hand cream! 

@CC3616- you're telling me.  I used to have lip balms in every nook and cranny and now it's lip balm and hand creams.  

@Nickelliebear1 hahaha same! hand creams for days. 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year. Probably still the PMG Star Wars collection.  I still look at everything and fawn over its magnificence.

2) A purchase you regret- why? Nothing comes to mind that I ‘regret’ but I was disappointed in the Fenty mascara.  Was that a 2020 release. Haha, everything is a blur

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?  PMG celestial palette.  Yes.  But her palettes usually are.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?  The PMG Star Wars?  Yeah it was worth it:)

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years?  Likely less since I barely shopped over the holidays and there was no Japan beauty binge this year.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries - The Peter Thomas Roth Pro Strength Niacinamide Discoloration Treatment did wonders for the freckling on my chest and shoulders.

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want The colorpop Sailor Moon collection- but I’ll be okay if I never find it.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?  I stopped wearing it most days.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?  Bright lipstick and bare eyes as mask wearing fades away and we aren’t focused on just eyes anymore. Instabrows will fade into oblivion replaced by natural shapes and shading.

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity?  Masking and sunscreen if we’re talking beauty.  Yoga if we’re talking sanity. 

@heartsmyface I am mind-boggled by the PMG Star Wars collection being in 2020! It feels both really recent and really really long ago. 

I need to get back into face masks! I have a bunch but am weirdly not using them, despite being home ALL. THE. TIME.

@NotCrocker   Haha, right?  I had to go through my order history to give an accurate response and was shocked. 

The masking has been a challenge for me too!  I think it’s that my time management skills are waning.  I have so much time that I end up not valuing it and just end up wasting it.  

@heartsmyface  I really hope you are right about instabrows going away. I just can’t get them right. Maybe my patients aren’t quite what it use to be too. 

@ather   Meh, im pretty sure you just block fill in with a brow stencil and take a spoolie to the inner brows and brush up until they ombré out.  The stencil is key to get that Uber symmetry.

I have a hard time with them too cause my brows are dark right to the inner corners so I’d have to shave them or cut them really short to get the ombré effect.  I’m okay with taking some off the tails but I’m not committed to doing that to the inner brows for brows I know I won’t want everyday.  

@heartsmyface  Thanks for the tip! I may have the same problem as you. And I still have no tails from the early 2000s when barley no brows were in. I think that’s why I hesitated on trying new brows. Lol. And I’ve been pretty lazy with makeup lately. We’ve been locked down since the beginning of December. The only place I go is to work. 

@ather  Same with the laziness.  Every now and then I apply makeup to remind myself I CAN still clean up well if I need to, and that no, I haven’t lost all my skills yet. 😆

At least you’re getting out of the house even if it is for work.   I went for a hike the other day (Omg i need to do that more often) but other than that it’s just to the grocery store for necessities.  

125 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • giphy
  • Chaos%2BCosmetics%2BGEL%2BMultichrome
  • ultrablotted4
testing