Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst! [2020 Edition]

I think we can all agree that this year was the worst overall but I’m redoing this tag again to hear all about your favorite and regret purchases of the year.  I love to read everyone’s responses and I think it’s a great way to look back on our purchases and review all our goodies.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year.

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself)

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity?

Here’s my answers! Can’t wait to see everybody’s answers!

1) Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette - I’d been wanting a cool toned neutrals palette and this hit the spot for me. 

2) Dior Dior Forever Skin Correct Full-Coverage Concealer - It creases under my eyes and I couldn’t get a good match. I also ended up returning the Natasha Denona Bronze Face Glow Palette , which didn’t work out at all for me. 

3) PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership VII Eyeshadow Palette - Divine Rose Collection 10 x 0.047 oz./ 1.32 g - I bought this with a Rouge Reward but I probably would’ve picked it up regardless. 

4) I think PMG and ND are the most hyped brands that I bought, and they are usually worth the hype for me. CT was also a big favorite of mine this year.

5) I think I spent less on makeup this year but more on clothes as I picked up some nicer pieces than I usually would. 

6) Lorac rebranded and released a few palettes with new formulas. The Noir palette is fantastic and really underrated. My only con with it is that it’s now made in China, which I tend to avoid in makeup. Otherwise, highly recommend it!

7) I’m really sad that I missed out on the Tom Ford Meteoric quad since it appears it was limited edition. Otherwise, I still really want the PMG Highlighter from her holiday collection and the PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership I Eyeshadow Palette - Subliminal .

😎 I still did a full face most days, although maybe a little less than previously. I did have to switch to more matte foundations and using more powder products that I would normally. 

9) I think we’ll keep seeing more minimalist and matte makeup.

10) My favorite self-care activity is curling up with a book and drinking coffee with some Cookie Butter powder in it.

I’m tagging my people from the US Secret Santa below! 

@sprocketta @WinglessOne @eshoe @danielledanielle @IttyxBittyxMe @Anastasiya13 @faeriegirl @ElleElleG @SportyGirly125 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst! [2020 Edition]

Pat McGrath Mothership V Bronze Seduction --love it so much I bought one for me & one for my cousin!

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Infinity powder. It doesn't know what it is & I get so little use out of it.

Any of my Pat McGrath Labs Mothership palettes but 100% worth it!

Natasha Denona Bronze & Glam: They were both worth every penny! I love them!

More 😂😂💀

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

Viseart: underhyped -- OMG these matte shades are top shelf!

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

Charlotte Tilbury : Fire Rose 💩

The more I learn, the better my technique. My routine changed drastically: I'm a trauma Nurse--masks all day 💯

I'm hoping bold multichrome shades become more popular!

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself)

Working out, heavy lifting. It keeps me grounded and it's my destresser 

@makeitup305 love your list!! Here are my answers..

VOLUSPA Mini Spiced Pumpkin Latte Candle Pairing Gift Set 

Beautyblender Instaclean™ Sponge and Brush Cleansing Spray , it smells like car oil/ exhaust and has an oily feel to i

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Kilian Discovery Mini Set and yes!

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership VII Eyeshadow Palette - Divine Rose Collection 10 x 0.047 oz./ 1.32 g yes!

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I honestly feel like I spent less 🤷

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Too Faced Chocolate Gold Eyeshadow Palette 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Powder Foundation 

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? I'm getting faster at application

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I'm seeing bright painted eyes, neon shades

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity I love the DERMAFLASH DERMAPORE Ultrasonic Pore Extractor & Serum Infuser Icy Pink 

@lmaster  Great list!!!! I’ve been eyeing that dermafalash!!

@ather I love it and have since I bought it! 

1) Natasha Denona’s Bronze palate was my favorite purchase. The reds and coppers are exquisite. 

2) Anastasia BH’s foundation. It just felt greasy and never set. 

3) Pat McGrath mothership 2. Totally worth it!

What a great thread, @makeitup305!! Thank you for the tag, @itsfi!! 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush 07 Drama Cla$$ or Farmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya 4.0 oz/ 120 mL or Mediheal APE masks. 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Facial Cooling Globes I don't know what I was thinking, but these don't have the range of motion I was hoping they'd have, but I bought them on sale with a gift card I was VERY lucky to win from a virtual event. They are cooling which is nice. 

Also, the The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + Copper Peptides 1% Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL is not nearly as good as the original, IMO. 

Algenist POWER Recharging Night Pressed Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL is just so lovely and smells nice and makes my skin nice and soft. Absolutely worth it. Plus the 4x points was great. 

I'm always so behind on hype things, I feel. Maybe the The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum or the The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  , the former of which is but the latter of which I haven't tried. 

Who knows? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries. 

Hmmm... not sure. Maybe rediscovered the Fenty Killawatt Highlight palette. Underrated would be the Aether Beauty eye shadows and Ilia multi use pigment, both of which I first tried in a Sephora favorites kit. 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want. 

I've consistently missed and not prioritized the Melt holiday releases and this year I missed the Beetlejuice palettes. I was originally like, I don't need these, but then I saw a great swatch video and they were sold out. 

I'm trying to wear a full face more often, as it's a nice routine. It helps get me ready for the day, and taking it off at the end of the day means I'm going to do my full night routine. But also, I haven't done well at it this year because, well, the world is A LOT (and I'm very privileged, and its still be a lot).

I also got better with using powder. 

Liquid matte lippies rising from the ashes to my delight before their actual deathknell in late 2021/2022 to my heartbreak. 

I'd love more see through masks with bright AF lippies. 

Dewy skin with bright, bold colors on cheeks, eyes and lips. Blush draping. Lots of oranges, pinks, and purples. Soft 80s neon glam? 

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself). 

Video games, reading, TV. Yoga. Laughing with my partner. 

It is SO good, @curlychiquita!! 

Aether shadows are gorgeous@haleyvvvv! That Sephora Favorites set was so good, wish I would have bought two☺️

They're sososo pretty, @eshoe!! I'm so glad I got that single shadow to try first, it was a definite enabler. And that SF kit was one of the best ones this year, a definite winner.

1000% agree, @haleyvvvv 🙌🏼🥰

Thank you for the tag @makeitup305

1) Your favorite purchase of the year. I would have to say mine is the Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL . It has been so amazing to my skin, and really hydrating too. Oh and I have to mention the Glow Recipe Lip Pop Duo 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I have to say the Cle de peau swan lake highlighter, because it just looks too white, and not as blinding as I thought it would

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? I think my most expensive makeup purchase this year was the swan lake highlighter, and no it was not worth it

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Ummm I don't think I really bought any of the hyped products, other than highlighter

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years?  Definitely I spend less this year, but than again I was unable to use up as much products since I did not go out as much

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries I think the under hyped product is the Glow Recipe Lip Pop Duo I think they are honestly amazing, and love how they moisturize and exfoliate the lips.

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want: I really want the Charlotte Tilbury Highlighter Superstar Glow  and the Charlotte Tilbury Mini Brush Set 

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes, it got a bit more mellow, and focused more on skin care

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think the natural look, or look that features the eyes

*New question this year to replace the previous #5 which was whether you shopped more online or in store (I think that one answers itself)

10) What is your favorite self care item or activity? I think my favorite self care activity is to do puzzles, it relaxes my mind, and just lets me zone out.

I share your sentiments on the CT mini brush set, @Anastasiya13. That pouch is so glamorous!

@eshoe  It really is, I been tempted to get it, but still cant pull the trigger. I guess I am curious how good the brush quality really is too.

That is exactly why I held off, @Anastasiya13😉

Thank you for the tag @itsfi . Great idea for a thread @makeitup305 .

1) Favorite purchase of the year is thanks to either gratis or samples received. Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Lip Pop Lip Balm , Lancôme L’Absolu Mademoiselle Lip Balm , Lancome Teint Idole Long Wear Foundation in 310 Bisque C, and SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Glowing Skin Foundation . The other two items were purchased thanks to online influencers. First is Snozzle Pro Universal Hair Dryer Nozzle  Adapter Attachment which I attach to my Xtava Black Orchid Diffuser. 

2) A purchase that I a regret and why. Two items come to mind and they are the only two items that I returned. First item is Lord Jones High CBD Formula Body Lotion Fragrance Free . Sorry it was overpriced body lotion. It had no pain relieving results for me .The other item is Slip Pure Silk Turban . It left me with a bruise on my forehead. I tried wearing it various ways but I always had the same results.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? I am not sure what my most expensive purchase was this year but I believe that it would be one of the many PMG palettes. Yes they are worth the money.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? This is another one that I am not sure about. Perhaps it was items from PMG Rose Decadence collection. I have liked everything that I have tried from that collection.

5) Did you spend less, the same or more than other years? I believe that I spent more because I was bored during lockdown and I shopped more than I should have shopped.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/ under hyped makeup discoveries. I found a small jar of Nuxe reve de miel during lockdown. This stuff moisturized my lips like no other. I am not sure why I did not realize this when I first purchased it. The other item is Bio Ionic 10X Ultralight Speed Dryer . I prefer this dryer to my dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer . See the last two items that I mentioned in response to question number 1. Those are the attachments that I use with my Bio Ionic blow dryer.

7) A product that I have missed out on or haven’t bought yet but I really want, nothing comes to mind.

😎 Did my makeup routine change in any way? I am wearing more tinted moisturizers and lip glosses due to my work schedule change. 
9)  What makeup trend fo I think will be big next year? I feel that more clean foundation will be big to prevent maskne and tinted lip balms and lip glosses.

10) What is my favorite self care item or activity? I feel that using wash off masks are very relaxing.

@Loretta55  Awesome list! I feel you on the spent more during lockdown!!! Me tooo!! 

My bank account is not happy @ather!

@Loretta55  Mine either 😳 and I went a tad bit crazy in December because they locked us down again. I need to shop my stash more I think!!

Ditto @ather, but unfortunately I have not succeeded. I ordered the new Sephora Favorites Lashstash . Hope that I tagged the correct one.

125 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • giphy
  • Chaos%2BCosmetics%2BGEL%2BMultichrome
  • ultrablotted4
testing