cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Bomb Lip Balms!

46C5BE82-B1A3-4F8F-8955-65D7191A2DC5.jpeg

EDIT: This started out as a way for me to chronicle my journey to find my favourite lip balm. The thread quickly gained traction and many people chimed in with their favourites, so I decided to change the point of this thread to be more of a resource to help people find their favourite too.

If you’ve got a favourite, please feel free to post it here. If you’re on the hunt for something, have a read through all the posts. Hopefully you’ll find your favourite holy grail lip balm too!

———

ORIGINAL POST:

I’ve been on the hunt for my absolute favourite, holy grail lip balm lately. I decided to provide reviews for ones I’ve tried here in case anyone is interested.

My criteria for lip balm is it needs to restore a feeling of moisture in my lips, provide additional benefits like calming irritation or including SPF, come in small, pocket-friendly packaging, and cost less than $10. I don’t mind scents or flavourslong as they’re pleasant. If anyone has lip balms they love, I’d been interested in trying them out.

———

Nivea: Delicious Drop (Peach & Vanilla)

Cost: $7

Pros: Smells absolutely heavenly, soft, buttery texture, restores moisture, has SPF, tear drop shape for wider application

Cons: Difficult to find outside Asian shops, no calming ingredients for irritated lips

Verdict: Love, love love the scent! Will definitely purchase again and use on good lip days.

Lovisia Lip Cream (Pikachu Yuzu)

Cost: $15

Pros: Smells fresh, citrusy, and invigorating, soft texture, moisturizing, super cute, nostalgic packaging

Cons: No SPF, no calming ingredients for irritated, chapped lips, pricy, difficult to find outside Asian shops

Verdict: Very nostalgic but price and  lack of SPF makes it hard to justify buying again. A maybe for days when I need a feel-good throwback to my childhood.

Blistex Deep Moisture Renewal

Cost: $4

Pros: No scent, has SPF, very moisturizing, cheap, easy to find in local drug stores

Cons: No calming ingredients for irritated, chapped lips

Verdict: My current go-to if I need lip balm. I’ve already gone through a few of these.

Benton Honest Lip Balm

Cost: $11

Pros: No scent, consistency is not too think or sticky feeling, long lasting moisture, vegan

Cons: Difficult to find outside of Asian shops, no SPF or calming ingredients for irritated, chapped lips

Verdict: I prefer stick formulas. Probably won’t repurchase again unless they develop a stick formula.

Shiseido Water In Lip

Cost: $10

Pros: Very moisturizing with hyaluronic acid, cooling effect for irritation, SPF

Cons: Has a cough syrup-like smell (goes away quickly), hard to find outside of Asian shop

Verdict: Will repurchase again for days when lips are irritated and red.

The Crème Shop x Hello Kitty Macaron Lip Balm (Cool as Mint)

Cost: $8

Pros: Minty scent, contains vitamin E, very cute packaging

Cons: Thick consistency, no SPF, packaging might be cute but not the most compact

Verdict: Won’t repurchase, but will definitely keep the packaging to re-house other lip balms in (it lies flat, so it’s great to keep in my car on hot days when lip balm gets a little melty)

Blistex Lip Medex

Cost: $5

Pros: Very cooling for irritated lips, easy to find at drug stores, lots of lip balm in container means it will last a long time

Cons: Smells like Vaporub (actually a pro when I’m sick), clunky packaging, no SPF

Verdict: Used to be my go-to when my lips were in rough shape. Have found ones I like more, won’t repurchase.

Eucerin Aquaphor

Cost: $3

Pros: No scent, Seals in moisture, easy to find at drug stores

Cons: Doesn’t restore moisture when lips are dry, no SPF

Verdict: It’s alright. Won’t repurchase unless I desperately need lip balm and there’s no other option.

Vaseline

Cost: $4

Pros: Seals in moisture, can found almost everywhere, shouldn’t cause any irritation

Cons: No other benefits outside sealing in moisture

Verdict: It’s versatile and takes forever to empty. I think it’s going to be a while before I repurchase.

Carmex

$8 for 3

Pros: Has SPF, seals in moisture, easy to find at drugstores, very cheap

Cons: Has a scent I can’t describe (not terrible but not amazing either)

Verdict: It’s meh. Won’t repurchase.

Covergirl Clean Fresh (clear)

Cost: $5

Pros: Contains hyaluronic acid, easy to find at drugstores, comes in other shades

Cons: Really thick consistency, no SPF, doesn’t feel like it adds moisture back (despite containing hyaluronic acid)

Verdict: I really wanted to like this one but it underwhelmed and underperformed. Won’t be repurchasing.

Koaino Eco Lip Balm (Unflavoured)

Cost: $6

Pros: Simple, all-natural ingredients,  seals in moisture, packing is paper-based makes it compostable

Cons: Smells like greasy popcorn, doesn’t restore moisture, no ingredients to calm irritated lips or SPF, hard to find anywhere

Verdict: Not a fan of the scent, won’t repurchase.

Sephora Collection Clean Lip Balm (Coconut, not pictured)

Cost: $10

Pros: Clean, coconut scent, restores moisture, smooth texture, some of the packaging is paper-based, comes in many flavours

Cons: No SPF or calming ingredients for irritated lips, doesn’t seem to be available anymore

Verdict: Not listed anymore, so couldn’t repurchase it even if I wanted to.

Re: Bomb Lip Balms: The Search for my HG

Thanks @alexasteph! FAB has been hit or miss for me. I know they’re formulated with sensitive skin in mind and I’ve used a toner and priming moisturizer from them without issue, but when I tried one of their face moisturizers, my skin could not handle it! It was red and irritated! Now I’m a little cautious about their products. I’ll keep the Jack Black one in mind though. 😁

@alexasteph - Just added the FAB to my Loves list for the sale!  I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. 😱

@Titian06 I definitely recommend it! I’ve purchased and repurchased it a few times now. Even though it isn’t an overnight mask, I use it as one because I haven’t found a lip mask I like. 

@JoSometimes wow, you've definitely tried a lot!  Have you tried the one in the tube from Naturium?  I've heard quite a few people say that it's like the one from Summer Fridays but better.

Thanks @CookieGirl1! I tried to get some of their products shipped across the border when they first launched. It was a logistical nightmare and I had to call in a favour from my cousin. I took a quick look just now and it looks like they’ve improved cross-border shipping.

I have very dry lip’s also @JoSometimes. Unfortunately it is trial and error to find what works. Lately I have been using Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine Vanilla and I find it very moisturizing. After illness I noticed that LAWLESS Forget The Filler Overnight Lip Plumping Mask was not helping me. I went back to Nuxe Reve De Miel which I find most moisturizing. Unfortunately none of my suggestions contain SPF but both the SF and Lawless are pleasantly scented.

Yes, it’s been quite the hunt @Loretta55. Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve heard good things about Summer Fridays.

@JoSometimes  Thanks for the reviews! I’m glad Vaseline works for you. Anything that doesn’t contain petroleum won’t moisturize as well as Vaseline. I’d use Vaseline as lip balm if I liked the texture. 

Instead, I use Aquaphor Ointment. Not that Lip Repair balm stick in your photo; I don’t like that balm because it contains no petroleum. I use the regular ointment that comes in tubes and jars. It’s petroleum-based (also has mineral oil which is derived from petroleum) and contains glycerin and lanolin (2 very good hydrators), plus skin-soothers panthenol and bisabolol. Aquaphor Ointment comes in various sizes, including small (10 g) travel tubes I keep in my bag. 

Some folks prefer CeraVe Healing Ointment which contains ceramides and no lanolin. 

For sun protection, I top Aquaphor Ointment with Vanicream’s SPF lip balm. It’s the only SPF balm I can handle on my lips: no sunscreen smell or awful taste. I wish I could just apply my facial sunscreens on my lips, but they taste yucky. 😂 

Thanks @WinglessOne! I have used the ointment too (it’s actually propping up the jar of Vaseline). I didn’t realize they were different until you pointed it out. Checked the ingredients and sure enough, they’re different!

Thanks for sharing, @JoSometimes !  I love the container for the Macaroon Lip Balm. 😍  I was a diehard user of Vaseline until someone on BIC mentioned LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Peach .  You can barely, if at all, smell it and there's no taste.  It keeps my lips from drying and cracking.  On the other hand, it's too expensive at $18 and there's no SPF.  They are easily stashed everywhere...ask me how I know! 🤣

I also have the SEPHORA COLLECTION Lip Sleeping Mask Strawberry and in gingerbread.  Both have a fairly strong, but not necessarily unpleasant, smell and no taste.  However, the more you use the tube the more the product oozes out.  Both tubes are gooey messes.  I also don't find either one particularly moisturizing. 

Thanks @Titian06! I’ve heard about the gooey mess they make but the reviews all seem to be positive otherwise. 

@JoSometimes Good luck! You've tried a good amount already. I hope you find it, and thank you for sharring this whole experience.

Hum, have you tried SunBum lip balm?

I used it last summer, from what I remember it was affordable with good spf. The con, it had a wierd taste. ( I know you said pleasant taste, but what if it was just the one flavour I had.. or not,  it could be all of them 😅) but you know,  I'd use it again to protect my lips in the summer ☀️ no burns or anything at all 😉

Screenshot_20230325_191911_Google.jpg

That one had a good taste at first than it would be bit off after awhile on the lips. 

I find the Sun Bum lip balm to feel like a non moisturizing oil on my lips @CynthieLu .

Thanks @CynthieLuEczema + cold Canadian weather = chapped lips. Another thing I’ve dealt with most of my life. 

I’ve seen a few post asking for lip balm recommendations, so I thought I’d post what I’ve tried.

And thanks for the recommendation! I have seen sunbum’s stuff before but mostly seems to pop up in the summer. 

It's so true, it's all over come summer time. @JoSometimes 

I layer vaseline over my lip balm when I go out side in the winter(double shields lol) and run my humidifier inside during the winter months to keep my skin from drying out tooo much. Every little bit helps 😉 

@CynthieLu I bought this lip balm also in the banana flavour 🍌. I like how smooth it glides on and that it has spf. Mine also had the same fee about the flavour. While it smelled amazing, the taste was not exactly how the scent was.

Have you tried Lanolips yet? It isn't at Sephora and its just a little over $10 ($13 I think?) but it is hands down the most hydrating, comfortable lip balm I've ever worn. And, in the morning when I wake up its still on. I used to work for Sephora and have tried I think every lip balm the stores carry, lol. Many great ones but nothing that compares to lano for me. 

Thanks for the suggestion @dride25! I can’t seem to find it anywhere in Canada. It looks like it was sold at Sephora Canada once upon a time, but not anymore. Seems like I would have to ship across the border or get lucky and find it at a small, independent shop. Will definitely keep an eye out for it. 

It is great, hopefully they will bring it in somewhere in Canada. And, I do want to say that while lanolin can be an allergen for some folks...any ingredient in any product in any line can be an allergen for any person at any time. And I say that as a licensed skin pro with 12 years in the industry, and about 10 of those working on Sephora's education team. Titian is correct that it is not a vegan ingredient. ❤️

@JoSometimes - Since you have sensitive and irritated lips, keep in mind that lanolin is a skin irritatant and allergen inducing to many people.  I would have to avoid it even if I weren't vegan for those very reasons.

Thanks @Titian06! I’ve used Aquaphor before, which I know has lanoline in it too. Didn’t have any issues with it. Will keep that in mind though.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 327 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos6
  • 46C5BE82-B1A3-4F8F-8955-65D7191A2DC5.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20230325_191911_Google.jpg
  • Screenshot_20230328-211521.png
  • CattyT3_0-1687102317860.jpeg
  • 6863220080722-Hunny-Pot-Kit-HunnyPot-1_800x1200.jpg
  • IMG_3309.jpeg