Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

@itsfi It, uh, wasn't what I was expecting either.  I would have thought it was just me but no one else in the family thought that it smelled chocolate-y either.

@CookieGirl1 Great work on the empties!

Time for a mid-month clean out 🗑️ YTD 69

Notes coming shortly!

IMG_20220221_182623124.jpg

Spoiler
Andalou Naturals Body Lotion: whoops, I thought I had done a good job of moving my oldest stuff up front and making sure I used it up, but I apparently overlooked this one on my last cleanout. Granted, given my experience with body lotions from other brands, I didn't expect this to completely liquefy on me like it did, but hey, I still guess I should have tried it sooner.  

Naturalicious Heavenly Hydration Grapeseed Hair Mist: this was really nice for reactivating second or third days hair, bringing back soft curls without being too oily or heavy for my fine hair. My only minor quibble is that it's almost too thick for the pump they use...after spraying once, it would take 3-4 seconds for the sprayer to pull more product up into it, so it wasn't as quick to use as it could have been. Once I finished some off though, I just added a little water to the bottle to thin it down a bit, and that helped immensely. Smells nice too, a light scent, maybe cherry almond? I've got some other stuff I'm working through right now, but I'd buy this again in the future.

Exuviance Detox Mud Treatment: one of my favorite clay masks. Dries down, but it's not crunchy or stiff or flaky, it stays flexible. I always feel so much cleaner after this one without being dried out.

FAB Hydra Firm Sleeping Cream: my absolute laziest nights mean a cleansing wipe and a sleeping cream, and this was a good one. I think I have another tube or two that I'll be happy to use at some point. 

Burt's Bees Lip Balm (pomegranate): basic staple, one I'll buy again

Ulta Body Yogurt (blueberry): ancient sample, I don't think Ulta even makes these anymore, which is a shame. This was nice and thick, plenty moisturizing, something I'd pick up again if I could.

Clinique 72 Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator: I dunno why I'm always behind on Clinique samples, but this one has been discontinued in favor of the new 100Hr one. Nice moisture, though there's something I can't quite put my finger on that I don't love about it. It soaks in well, but it almost feels like my skin has a thin layer of plastic or something over it? Can't really describe it. I've got one more I'll use, but even if this were still in production, I wouldn't buy it.

Laura Geller Inkcredible Waterproof Gel Eyeliner and Lipstick Queen Mega Star Long Wear Eyeliner: two of my favorite purple eyeliners, both sadly dried out 😥 They are both 3-4 years old now, maybe even older, so it shouldn't have been a surprise, but I was still sad over it. LQ is gone for good, but I see LG still makes Inkcredible, so I may grab another one at some point if I spot a deal, but I have another purple or two in my stash for now (and as little as I wear makeup lately, I wouldn't replace it right now anyways)

China Glaze Giggling All The Way: lovely color, but the brush is jacked beyond repair. Managed to find a full size replacement for $2 though 😛 

Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment: really thick and creamy. Surprisingly not too heavy for my oily skin (though my eyes have been much drier than the rest of my face this winter), this has been really nice throughout the last few weeks. Just opened another sample!

BBW Candle (Coconut Mahogany): the mahogany scents from BBW are some of my absolute favorites

Aldi candle (Hot Buttered Rum): burned well, next to nothing left over, and great throw. I love Aldi candles as much as I love BBW's

Ulta acetone mini x3: while I can get acetone much cheaper elsewhere, the mini bottles at Ulta are a great filler, one I know I'll use and that doesn't waste too much space. And, the little bottles are actually sealed, so you know it won't leak in transit (unlike the larger bottles, sigh).

BBW Lotion (Vanilla Bean Noel): one of my favorite BBW lotion scents. I'm not sure I could wear it every day for ever, but I really enjoy pulling this one out from time to time...it's the closest one they have to an old VS scent that I miss dearly (Vanilla Lace)

Rituals Foaming Shower Gel (Yalda: pomegranate & watermelon): lathers well and cleanses well, and smells nice to boot. I always seem to go through these pretty quickly though, getting the hang of how much I need always seems to take me a few uses, and then it's suddenly empty lol

Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Advanced Clean Dry Shampoo: this is my second can, and it's ok, but it's not making my rebuy list. The scent is good (citrus), but I find Redken just works way better for me. LP does nothing for me on the first day, weirdly, and while days 2 and 3 look much better, it can leave me flaky around day 3/4, and there's a decent amount of buildup on my scalp.

Kate Somerville Liquid ExfoliKate Triple Acid Resurfacing Treatment: a really nice acid toner. Would absolutely buy again (with a deal, because it's expensive and I have others I like just as well that are cheaper).

BBW body wash (Ginger Vanilla): I moved 8 years ago and am 99% certain I brought this with me, so I'd have to date it at 9+ years old...y'all, I will never finish off this body wash stash 🤣 This smells SO FREAKIN GOOD, warm and spicy, amaaaaaazing stuff. I think I have another bottle thankfully, but now all I want to do is hoard it so I can smell it forever 😂

IMG_20220221_182930520.jpg

The Pacifica cloths cleanse well on my super lazy nights, but TBH, I'm glad they are gone now...the fake coconut scent was fine at first, but really started getting to me towards the end of the pack. I'm fairly certain this was my last pack of them (I got a bunch on sale a while ago), so I am happy to move on to something else. Would try other Pacifica wipes though.

This is finally my last of these The Oozoo masks, and I am thrilled to be done with them; I don't like milky serums, it felt borderline slimy, and even without the little capsule serum added (that stuff smelled like lysol yuck), the lavender scent was just too strong for me. Decent moisture, so I persevered to teach myself a lesson (never stock up on sale stuff without trying it first lol), but absolutely not one of my favorite masks ever.

Biobelle and Leaders were both good as always!

@RGbrown 

The Leaders is a good mask.

@elleb810 

It is! I was sad to see Ulta doesn't carry it anymore 😥

@RGbrown, B&BW made a ginger vanilla scent? That just sounds like it would smell divine! 😍 

Okay, reading your thoughts on the Rituals makes me even more convinced that mine was expired. 

@itsfi 

Ack, just read your notes on your Rituals body wash, and yup, I definitely think it was bad! I've never tried that particular scent (I've smelled the lotion and knew I didn't like it), but what I have tried has always come out as a dense, mousse-y foam. The cans shoot out so much that I have a hard time controlling how much I get sometimes, but I've never had one that came out runny and didn't lather 😞 

@RGbrown, yeah, this was most definitely the polar opposite of dense, mousse-y or foam like. 🤣 I'll reserve final judgment on it until I try another one then. I think I have another one, different scent, from an Ulta gwp - from a more recent order. lol. 

@RGbrown I had no idea that Aldi's sold candles - let alone that they rivaled BBW!  Hot Buttered Rum would have been ideal for me.  Is it true that they're just over $4 for a the same size as a BBW 3-wick?  And, do they sell the candles regularly?  There's one by my work, but I rarely get over there.

@greeneyedgirl107 

Yup, Aldi candles are fantastic!

On the cleaning aisle, they've got a few basic scents year round. Last year, all I ever found was Vanilla and Gardenia, but after Xmas, I saw a few more scents added to that...Tropical and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Last time I bought some, I thiiink they were $3.99 (maybe $4.29?), and yup, they are the same size as the large BBW ones. While the selection is usually tiny, they are amazing!

Throughout the year, they'll do up some other limited edition candles that'll be on the "random aisle", more interesting scents or more fun containers...those usually run $5-8 or so. That Hot Buttered Rum one came from an LE set a couple of years ago, a 3 pack of travel tin style candles for $5. And for the holidays, they have great holiday scents in the basic BBW dupe jars, usually a dollar more than the regular ones on the cleaning aisle, I think. 

@RGbrown Oooh!  What good info - thanks so much!

@RGbrown Nice empties!

Thank you @Mellmars1185💕

@RGbrown I'm so jealous that you live near an Aldi; I've heard such good things about their candles!

@CookieGirl1 

I loooove having an Aldi so close (it's roughly 5 miles from home, yay)! Their candles are so so so good, before you even consider the ridiculously low price tag. I love BBW for more variety and more complex scents, but Aldi does a fine job with their limited selection 💕

My "last half of January" empties, I'm cross posting from the V2 Empties thread because I'm not sure which one is more "active". 

Key:

❤️Red Heart= I've used this product for a long time now. It's one of my tried/trues, I'll continue to buy it.

💛Yellow/Orange Heart= I've used this for a long time it's nothing revolutionary, but I like it enough to continue repurchasing.

💝Ribbon Wrapped Pink Heart= A relatively new product I've been trying but I'm liking it a lot so far.

👩Shrugging Girl Emoji= I haven't used this product enough to formulate a strong opinion about it. (It's "okay")

👍Thumbs Up= I'm liking this this product. Nothing revolutionary, but I like it enough to try it again/maybe repurchase.

👎Thumbs Down= I'm not liking this product and I won't be repurchasing.

IMG-2954.JPGIMG-2955.JPGIMG-2957.JPG

First batch of the new year 🗑

YTD 43

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20220201_204604050.jpg

Spoiler
Hempz Butter Me Up Salted Toffee Hand & Foot Cream: thinner than I like in a foot cream, but it does a pretty decent job of softening my feet. Won't rebuy, but have one or two I'll finish up without complaint

Wella Fusionplex Shampoo: true love, I never need to find another shampoo, holy grail status. Cleans well without stripping, and leaves my hair feeling soft, like I've already used a light conditioner too. I'd never not follow up with conditioner, but almost feel like I could if needed for any reason (I gave my sis some to put in her gym bag for those quick rinses after the pool, and she loves it too)

Biolage All-in-One Intense Dry Shampoo: so close to Redken Deep Clean, it may as well be a dupe. Something like the first 8 ingredients of each are in the same order, and the rest of the lists look extremely similar. Same parent company, so I'm not surprised they're sharing recipes. Absolutely fantastic, no build up for me, and leaves my hair fresh and clean looking for a full 5 days. I like the scent of Redken a bit better, but will absolutely use or even buy this one with the right sale.

Batiste Dry Shampoo (tropical): nah. I don't like the scent of this one much, it's overly fake coconut, and this just builds up in my scalp, leaving me flaky by day 3 or so. It does a good job at oil control, but overall, it's not my fave.

FAB Ultra Repair Cream (Candy Cane): I adore minty lotions, especially for my feet. This isn't my top favorite foot cream of all time, but it is a favorite minty lotion, and I enjoy pulling one of these out every now and again. 

PTR Pumpkin Enzyme Mask: true love. I can't believe I forgot about this for basically the entirety of 2021, but I am pulling my minis back out this year!

CeraVe Pm Facial Moisturizing Lotion: basic staple, perfectly lovely

Hanskin Vitamin C Glow Powder Cleanser: not my favorite powder cleanser so far. It cleansed well, but it's more of a gritty/grainy format, and while it does eventually dissolve, I'd rather have a straight powder.

Clinique Fresh Pressed Powder Cleanser: I love this stuff, trying a sample a few years ago really turned me onto powder cleansers in general, but dang, at $36 for 28 packets, it's way more than I want to spend on a cleanser. Will happily use any others I come across, but will likely never spend the money for a full size.

Peach & Lily Glass Skin Water Gel Moisturizer: a really thick, almost jelly-like gel. Decent hydration, and I noticed no scent, though these tiny tubes aren't enough for more than a handful of nights, so it's hard to say if I'd like it long term. Would try again though for a better idea.

Peach & Lily Pure Peach Retinoic Eye Cream: "cream" is a stretch here...it's more of a melting lotion consistency. I squeeze packets into a little jar, and once I did that, I couldn't pick this up with my fingertip (not that I should, but sometimes I just don't feel like pulling out the mini spatula 😛 ) because the heat from my finger melted it, and my finger would come away bare. Given that, I was always good about using the spatula, but as soon as I placed a little bit under my eye, it would start melting and most nights, I could watch it slide down my face if I was slow to catch it. Perhaps neither here nor there, as this was perfectly lovely otherwise...it soaked in well and wasn't too heavy for me, and it also provided plenty of hydration, keeping me flake-free (while I'm oily elsewhere, my eyelids have been awfully dry and flaky this winter). The texture isn't *bad* per se, but it's not my favorite, so I'd likely pass this up again in the future.  

Omorovicza Ultramoor Mud Mask: true love, my favorite clay mask ever. Too expensive to regularly buy in the full size, but I like getting minis from time to time.

Tarte Brighter Days: I like mixing this with my tinted moisturizer for a little boost of shine. I think I might have another, but am not running out to repurchase any time soon...since I haven't really worn makeup in a over a year now, it's just not a priority. If I have more, I'll use it, if not, eh, that's ok too, no sense in buying something I won't get much use out of any time soon. 

Osea Undaria Algae Body Oil: a little thicker, less dry than any other body oil I've ever tried, but this soaked in well and didn't leave me greasy. The scent is a fantastic juicy orange/citrus scent. It didn't last long on my arms, but was plenty heavy enough to keep my legs moisturized and not itchy for 24+ hours. Not looking to repurchase, I typically prefer lotions, but I would happily use more in the future.

Hempz Lip Balm (Peppermint Vanilla Swirl, and Frosted Peppermint Vanilla Sugar): I really liked both of these, the Hempz formula is decently moisturizing and both of these had a good amount of mint. I think Ulta only carries their stick balms around the holidays, so I can't get more now, but would grab more in the future with a good deal (at something like $8-9 each, they're kinda crazy with the price though).

Clinique TTDO liquid: basic staple

Philosophy Purity: basic staple, the cleanser I keep in my shower.

IMG_20220201_203658067.jpg

Normally I burn one candle at a time, waiting until it's through to start another. In December, I started a few at the same time, wanting to see which scents I liked best so I could maybe grab more on clearance, so I had several to finish up in January!

Ulta generally does a really good job with their candles, and there were no serious complaints from me on any of these. Pumpkin Spice was a little sweeter/more marshmallow-y and less spicy than I would have thought based on the "spice" name, so I likely won't rebuy it in the future, but it burned well and had great throw. Glistening Snow was very light, not quite as good at filling up my space as the rest of their line usually is, but it was a nice scent that smelled crisp, so it was great for days when you just want "fresh" and not overpowering. Sparkling Leaves was good, my fave of the three here, crisp fresh air, with a touch of spice, a hint of floral that wasn't overly floral, and nice throw.

Huntington Home is Aldi's house brand, and they do up some really nice candles too. Holiday Cranberry is really good if you like the fruity/spicy genre, it's a classic holiday scent. First Snow was really interesting, I caught menthol and pine (? I think? I'm still a little confused by it, actually). I normally hate pine, but mixed with the fresh minty tones, this was actually pretty fantastic, so I grabbed a couple more. The Winter Fireside had great potential, a smoky/spicy scent, but sadly, it was the weakest of the bunch. It's the first wood wick candle I've tried from there, and I dunno if that played a role in the weaker throw of this one or not. 

IMG_20220201_204030262.jpg

That Lancome Renergie Lift cream mask can eff right off. I saw "cream" on the package, but though nothing of it, just assumed it would be a normal sheet mask and that "cream" was some sort of marketing tactic, maybe code for milky or something, but nope, it's a whole dang jar of actual cream smoothed onto a sheet. This is waaayyy too much for my normally oily, though perhaps dehydrated in winter skin, and the scent is an overpowering heavy floral to boot. I stuck it on my face anyways for some silly reason, but tossed it after a minute, maybe two, and wiped that mess right off. Nope nope nope.

Not a fan of the other Lancome mask either, though thankfully it's a standard serum. It wouldn't be quite so bad for me if the fragrance wasn't so heavy...otherwise it's a nicely hydrating sheet that does a decent job.

Soap & Glory is overly floral scented for my taste, but otherwise nice. The rest are all good to great...will miss Biobelle when I finally finish these off!

@RGbrown  Loving your empties. I'm a candle person too. I like to stock up from Bath & Body Works candle day, but have been interested in the Aldi candles so thanks for the honest review. The Leaders sheet masks are some of my favorite and that collagen builder mask looks really interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it.

@AMK721 

I have been really impressed with most every Aldi candle I've tried, they aren't just "good for the price" but just plain good, even though they are typically $3-5! Their selection throughout the year can be slim pickings (all I found throughout the entirety of 2021 was Vanilla and Gardenia, and they are good, but I would have loved more variety), but I grabbed a bunch from the holiday collections to ration out over the year.

Full disclosure on the sheet mask, I have no idea how often Leaders revamps their line, but I'm working on a batch of masks that expired in 2021 (I'm behind again lol), and I have no idea if they still make this one anymore. 😋

@RGbrown I was actually going to ask about those ALDI candles but saw that @AMK721 covered that. I actually haven't been to an ALDI in a while, this makes me really want to go and check out some of the candles. I'm technically on a no buy but if/when I run through another candle or two I'll allow myself to replace it with a couple of new ones. 

@RGbrown  Great job on the empties! It seems like you really like the purity foils! I am also a candle lover!

2 Replies
testing