Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Question for all the fragrance junkies - can anyone recommend a scent they love that has notes of dates in it (the fruit)?

Thanks!  I've been looking, but it doesn't seem like it's too common.  Have tried the SL one that does (arabie?), but the other notes in it don't agree with my skin.

Mocha, what an intriguing question.  I can think of a few...which notes in them strike you will be personal.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Al Oud by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Enfant Terrible by Javoy Paris 

Aziyade by Parfum d'Empire

Date is so subtle...and seems defined by the other elements in it.  Are you looking for spicy, sweet, exotic?

Now I'm going to be obsessed with dates!

Thanks Megan, I will have to look into these!

I think I have a sample of Al Oud in that picture handful up top, so I will dig it out and try that first.  

The smell of fresh dates is one of my favorite things.  It is a bit sweet, yet also has an astringent, woody savoriness to it.  So, I'm searching for something a little sweet and a little spicy.  I definitely don't want a super gourmand scent, nor a heavy oriental.  

Arabie had nice date notes to it, but the other spices drowned me and it ended up smelling like curry 😞

I read about something last night called Farah, but it doesn't look to be the easiest to track down.  

Still, you've given me some starting points 🙂

Hi Mocha,  I am a total fragrance newbie, I just got into it a few months ago. Anyhow, I think you might be referring to Farah (it used to be called Haram) by Brecourt. I got a sample vial of it from Indiescents. I haven't tried it yet it but I'll test it out today and report back.

That is indeed the one I was referring to!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it 😉

Based on your description of what you're wanting, I think you should sample Brecourt's Farah if you have the chance. It may be spot on. To me the date seems more dried date than fresh date though, so it might disappoint there if you have a specific date scent you're craving.

The date is definitely there, really nicely blended with the Tonka, and that combo is the dominant part. I'm also getting some patchouli in with those two, which I often don't like, but it adds a really lovely little edge It's simultaneously dirty and clean. It keeps shifting between the two, and that tension is seriously sexy here.

Besides those more constant notes, I'm catching ever-shifting whiffs as I move around. Sometimes it's a really nice warm wood, all reds and no whites, deeply cozy. Sometimes it's an incense that is one of the better ones I've smelled so far, wispy unfurling with no sharp/acrid smoke at all. Sometimes it's gourmand & sweet, with the gourmand staying refined. Sometimes it's spicy, most of the spice a cinnamon that is how I wish cinnamon to be but rarely is. (On my skin it almost always becomes intolerable Screaming Craft Store Potpourri.) All in all, it's a fascinating (but not overwhelming) little drama unfolding on my wrist, which I can't stop sniffing. It's bolder than I generally like my perfume (I love the super subtle), but I think for most perfume lovers it'd be right on point.

I haven't smelled what happens in the drydown yet, but I anticipate good things. After an hour, the woods seem to be emerging more.

Initially I got a note I can best describe as Wintogreen Lifesaver. It was pretty dominant and at odds with the other notes. My skin does really interesting things with fragrance though. (For example, one that smelled lovely on two of my friends was dead-on one-note My Little Pony plastic on my skin.) At any rate, the Wintogreen died down, thankfully.

For me I don't think I want a full bottle, as it's just a sliver on the other side of the 'too sweet' line, but I will happily wear this sample a few more times to explore it further. (I'm really not into much sweet, and my skin loves to pull the sweet out heavily if there is any, so that's my bias.)

You have sold me on this.

I am definitely getting a sample of this.

Also, I'm going to look into their sampler, because I am in Canada, and it would be nice to get something that doesn't take so long to arrive 😄

Nice! I'm in Alaska, so everything takes forever. : )

Indiescents has 1.5 ml sprays for $5.00. I'm not affiliated with them at all, but I've placed a few sample orders and been really happy with them. (Shipping is a bit steep though at $6.00 for just-sample orders.)

They also have a monthly sampler series of 3 scents for $15 shipped (ships from Canada). I've gotten it for a few months and the choices have been excellent, and lots have been new releases. Also, you get a $15 credit each month for the store, which you can use on samples (not the monthly sampler though.)  For me it is a nice compromise of having some things chosen for me that I probably wouldn't have considered, and getting to pick out a few myself.

Since I'm just learning fragrance, I tried a bunch of the subs at first (Olfactif, Scentbird, and Scent Trunk) but when I got a bit overwhelmed with too many samples, I cancelled the others and kept Indiescents.

Mocha, I'd love to hear your thoughts once you do. I'm wondering too about some of the middle eastern brands.  I can dig up the names of some sites that carry them if you're interested.  I'm pretending to work so didn't start trying to find them but spent some time a while ago researching related brands.  I'm thinking some of those must have scents with dates.

I did a video a while back on Arabian Oud Kalemat (no dates).  In the comments are a number of sites that sell this brand and others.  The video isn't relevant so I'm not posting it here...but I'll PM you the link and you can see a bunch of related sites in the comments.  It's been a while since I was on them...but if nothing else..the fragrances are gorgeous.  I did order from some and loved them.

just going to leave this here... 😄

moschino fresh.JPG

Hahahha I like the Moschino doesn't take itself too seriously.

The only worry is mistaking actual Windex for this. 😄 I wonder how big this bottle/spray(?) is?

OMG. seriously??! 

thanks for posting this!

Have you seen the teddy bear perfume? The head comes off and reveals the spray. They are clever!

I remember someone else posting about that one! The beheaded teddy kinda freaked me out haha. But definitely creative! And gutsy for perfume 😉

HA Moschino!! I don't own anything from the brand but I just adore their approach. 

Oh moschino.... :S

I don't know what's weirder, this or their collection of McDonald's accessories (ick)

boop.

I just received my Black Friday bag from Luckyscent. I also ordered a few more samples that have been on my wish list. Here's my order:

image.jpg

I had my hubby pick which one I should try first. So I'm wearing Lavs by Unum. He said I smell like a Greek Orthodox Church. It reminds him of his youth. His best friend was Greek and he attended many events with him. I'm digging it. 

Spoiler
Contents of Black Friday bag:
image.jpg

so lovely !! please keep reporting back !

7 Replies
testing