Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin

Dry skin that has oil on top

Hello!

I have acne prone dry skin and have been using my topical Clindamycin prescription and #The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Exfoliating Blemish Solution 1 oz / 30 mL to cure my acne, and it works quite well, although I have breakouts often. I had dry skin before using these products, and they haven’t made it worse but my skin has a lot more dry cystic acne than normal. I also noticed a glossy oily layer above my dry skin. I am wondering if this is dry skin or combo, and what I should do about it?

Re: Dry skin that has oil on top

@Sam013 Ate you sure it’s oil and not discharge from acne? If it’s discharge, definitely speak with your doctor about it. 

To determine your skin type, give your face a good cleanse, pat it dry, and wait half an hour. If you notice your skin feels tight, then you have dry skin. If it starts looking shiny or greasy, you have oily skin. If it only happens in certain spots but not across your entire face, you have combination skin. If nothing happens, you have normal skin.

Oiliness could be a result of dehydration. Your skin will compensate for the lake of moisture by producing oily sebum. If you find the oiliness to be a problem, you can try The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

For dry skin, you can try adding The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum before your moisturizer. Hydration can help reduce the production of sebum. 

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing