Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

*new group located here: Deeper Shades

Have a deeper hue and want to know how a product might look on your skin tone?  This is the place for you!

Image result for shades of brown

Several ladies expressed interest in having a BIC group dedicated to WOC.  Such a group would serve as a central reference point for swatches, color matching and the like, which can often be difficult to find.  While I have no idea whether such a group will ever be created I figured it would be nice to at least have a thread.

It should go without saying, but  **Ladies (and gents) of all hues are more than welcome **

💋💋💋

Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

Swatches of Fenty Beauty by Rihanna We're Even Hydrating Longwear Waterproof Concealer 

Apologies, they were intended to be in sequence, but when I hit 450, I realized a few weren't in the right testers, which solved my confusion about why some were so light... But, I was also annoyed immensely.

1000001526.jpg

This was 498 to 410, but it's not in sequence.  😑

1000001523.jpg

Top to bottom, 370n, ?, 315w, 310W.  I forgot what they side one was.

I saw a remark somewhere that these concealers run yellow.  I beg to differ, they run very orange and reddish (at least in the deeper shades).  When I went to wipe off my swatches, I looked very tanned.  If they were yellow, I'd be more sallow looking.

Natasha Denona Berry Pop Collection: my swatches of the lipstick and cheek trio. Unlike the My Dream cheek trio, this one works on my medium-deep skin tone. 

053DD6C7-93F6-46E0-8669-AC3F9DBA5729.jpeg

994DF69F-3AE0-4416-B6E3-88651D838A72.jpeg

UPDATE: If you already have Natasha Denona Bloom Cheek Palette 0.48 oz/ 13.7 g , do you also need the Berry Pop Cheek Trio? I took some comparison swatches in natural indirect daylight… 

Top: ND Bloom palette. Bottom: ND Berry Pop Cheek Trio.Top: ND Bloom palette. Bottom: ND Berry Pop Cheek Trio.L to R: Bloom Glow Extreme, BP Dream Glow, Bloom Duo Glow, BP Tinted Glow Cream Base, Bloom Cream Blush, BP Cream Blush.L to R: Bloom Glow Extreme, BP Dream Glow, Bloom Duo Glow, BP Tinted Glow Cream Base, Bloom Cream Blush, BP Cream Blush.

Berry Pop’s cream blush feels thinner and lighter than Bloom’s. I mean sure, my Bloom palette’s old, but that cream blush has always felt kinda thick. BP’s cream blush feels almost like a gel powder. 

I didn’t swatch-compare Bloom’s Glow Cream Base because it’s not very close to any BP shade. Though as you can see, neither are Bloom’s 2 other “Glow” shades. 

Oooh, nice. @WinglessOne do you find the cheek trio pulls warm?  The search here appears warm, but is that lighting or photo compression?

@danielledanielle  Good question. I waited til daylight to take more photos because I wanted to compare the cheek trio to the Bloom cheek palette. I just updated my post with those additional photos. 

The BP trio does pull warm, though the highlighter’s closer to champagne neutral. 

@WinglessOne, A+ swatches with extra credit!  I should have expected a warm palette, but everything I've seen up until now made it look so cool toned.  Ty!

Wasn't sure where to post, but saw these and thought they were cute. Now available at Target- The Wrap Life. They've got more options on the website.

makeitup305_0-1700973653906.png

Cross-posting from the November hauls thread. 

Pat McGrath Labs Mothership X Moonlit Seduction vs. Natasha Denona Star palette: 

Do you see the similarities? Remember when I said Star’s too neutral for me? And now I have Star 2.0? :D Good grief.Do you see the similarities? Remember when I said Star’s too neutral for me? And now I have Star 2.0? 😄 Good grief.

On both photos, left swatch column is Mothership X and right swatch column is Star. I swatched both palettes’ duochromes fully across my arm to show their shifts, since those 2 shades are very different.On both photos, left swatch column is Mothership X and right swatch column is Star. I swatched both palettes’ duochromes fully across my arm to show their shifts, since those 2 shades are very different.

I bought Moonlit Seduction (last year’s Mothership release) this month. Once I had it in my hands, I thought “huh… is this the warm half of Star?” Hence the comparison swatches above. Sure, Mothership X and Star aren’t 1-for-1 matches, and Star has 8 more shades than X. And X’s metallics mostly swatch better than Star’s, while Star’s mattes pack more punch than X’s. That’s either good or bad, depending on your matte and metallic formula preferences. 

But still, there are enough similarities that if you’re thinking about buying Moonlit Seduction and already have Star, you may want to reconsider. Eh, unless you prefer Pat’s shadow formulas over Natasha’s or reeeeally want X’s duochrome. Honestly, Star’s probably not the only palette with this overall color story. In fact, I suspect at least one of Pat’s recent (VII onward) Motherships is similar to this one. Conversely, if you’re wanting to buy Star but already have Moonlit Seduction, maybe give that more thought. 

@WinglessOne I have both and had never made the connection. Nice catch! You can always throw in some other ND shades to switch it up a bit maybe?

@makeitup305  I’m surprised I didn’t notice the similarity until I had X in my hands, at home. And sure, you could always swap shadows* among Natasha’s palettes to create a closer Mothership X dupe—though the creamy matte formula won’t perform the same as the mattes in X, which seem more buildable and arguably easier to control. What Natasha doesn’t have (that I can recall right now) is the duochrome in this Mothership. But I’d be shocked if there’s not an indie dupe of that one available as a single. 

*I personally don’t like to do that because I know I’ll forget to put shadows back in their proper palettes, and there will come a day when I want to use a palette as-is but can’t because I can’t remember where I put some of the shadows. 🤦‍♀️ 

@WinglessOne The closest ND shade is Calypso Blue (from the Blue-Purple 28-pan palette). The shift is the same but X is much sparklier, and the sparkles are more blue and reflective in the sun. I will say, ND looks smoother and it’s older than my X. Blissful from Huda Rose Quartz is also similar but it also lacks the sparkle. Clionadh Grisaille and Carving have a similar “vibe“ but the shift is different and I think the PMG is Terra Moons Hourglass Nebula, though it shifts more bright green. There are Terra Borealis from TM might be even closer but I don’t own that one. 

This is a quick swatch I took this morning of ND vs PMG. PMG is closest to my wrist.

IMG_3119.jpegIMG_3120.jpeg

I understand what you mean about not switching shades with ND. I never wrote down what shades were which when I moved them around and now I wouldn’t be able to put them back properly if I tried lol. It would take a lot of googling and looking up swatches to even get close. However, I love some of the color stories I’ve put together and it makes me happy to come up with new ways to configure them. Since I don’t really post my looks anywhere, I guess it doesn’t matter. I do wish I had put down the shade names, though, if only for reference in my own collection. 

Swatches of Natasha Denona Xenon Palette PXL_20231024_232544179._exported_1146_1698190354900.jpg

Indoor soft white LED lights

L to R: Rime, Cygnus, Stellar, Blizzard, Greu, Ebb, Superionic, Sposh, Snowbow, Night Sky, Contrail, Snirt, Névé, Flurry and Skift

You can see the blue hue of Ebb better here.

PXL_20231024_230906365.jpg

 bright indoor fluorescent light, (Névé, Flurry and Skift not swatched here

This is an excellent idea and much needed forum.

Someone asked me to convince them they don’t need Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit Unlocked Palette Snake since they already have last year’s Tiger palette, because I have both palettes. Here are the swatch comparison photos I took for her. I included a couple standalone blushes and 2 from the Universe Unlocked palette, and this excercise reminded me I should use Universe Unlocked more often. 

BIC/Lithium keeps randomly cropping these photos. Click to expand them to full size. 

Sun Beam’s a bit redder/cooler toned than Burnished Glow, but they’re close.Sun Beam’s a bit redder/cooler toned than Burnished Glow, but they’re close.Hourglass blush comparisons.Hourglass blush comparisons.

Those blushes are absolutely gorgeous on you, @WinglessOne ! 🤩

Aw, thank you @Titian06 ! 

Thanks for the comparison swatches @WinglessOne .  If I saw this last night, I may have passed on Snake, but I didn't , ah well.  Hope it helped your friend decide.

@danielledanielle  Aw, I hope you still enjoy Snake (or can easily return it if you don’t). It’s not a huge departure from Tiger, but I’m calling’ it different enough to justify keeping in my collection. The rose/coral blush shades are very non-Tiger, but I can probably dupe them with my NARS blushes—though those 2 powder formulas aren’t the same. 

Swatches of Danessa Myricks Beauty Groundwork: Defining Neutrals - Palette For Eyes, Brows, Face & Lips 

Top row is the Shape n' Fix powders, bottom is the Velvet Pomade 

Shades are from left to right:

Sandstone, Desert, Mirage, Chiseled, Sculpted, Stone, Core, Harvest, Bark and Tourmaline

Daylight (before sunset)

PXL_20230919_215337323.jpg

Cross post from Swatch Request Thread.

PXL_20230812_203738106.MP.jpg

PATRICK TA Major Headlines Double-Take Crème & Powder Blush Duo She's Giving 

PXL_20230812_203100935.MP.jpg

GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI Spark The Fire Plumping Lip Balm 

think it's LOL, LUV and OMG from left to right

PXL_20230812_202612981.jpg

PATRICK TA Major Headlines Double-Take Crème & Powder Blush Duo She's Flushed and She's Wanted

PXL_20230812_202240469.MP.jpg

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush RiRi 

PXL_20230812_202238146.jpg

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush Raisin Standardz and Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush Big Melons 

PXL_20230812_003011184.jpg

 this is a mess of things, my bad

The two skinny lines

Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Matte Lip Blur Liquid Lipstick Ruby Blur 

Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Matte Lip Blur Liquid Lipstick Walk Of No Shame Blur (bottom)

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Eaze Drop Stick Blur + Smooth Tint Stick Foundation 14 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Eaze Drop Stick Blur + Smooth Tint Stick Foundation 15 

15 is at the bottom, as it goes towards my wrist, it's blended with 14.  14 is at the top.

PATRICK TA Major Headlines Matte Suede Lipstick She's Not From Here (?) left most

At the lower right are

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Perfect Strokes Longwear & Waterproof Gel Eyeliner True Brown 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Perfect Strokes Longwear & Waterproof Gel Eyeliner Compassion (?) It's the reddish one

Went on a Swatch Quest at my nearest Sephora's because F&F 😂.  Only thing I couldn't find was haus

labs lavender haze, which I'll just pull the trigger on at some point.

Pleasant surprises: Big melons, ruby blur

Probably will pass on: Eaze sticks.  Once I went out of the store lighting, it was dry/settling and while 15 looked perfect at first, then looked orange. Raisin standardz, no it's pretty, but a deep plum which can go bruise on my skin tone easily.  She's giving is pretty, but I realize I rarely go for a blue pink blush.

For reference, I'm medium/tan (depends on the brand), with neutral olive undertone.

Now that Glossier's at Sephora, lemme finally do what I said I would a couple years ago: post Glossier Cloud Paint Gel Cream Blush swatches on my skin tone. I own all 8 shades. Here's how they look on the outer side of my arm. 

Photo taken in my kitchen's warm lighting with a color temperature correcting ring light.Photo taken in my kitchen's warm lighting with a color temperature correcting ring light.

I use Dusk, Beam, and sometimes Puff to tweak the color of other blushes. They're also nice base layers for light toned powder blushes. Dusk and Beam also help color-correct some of my hyperpigmentation. I've worn Beam and Puff on their own a few times, and they require building up on my skin tone. 

The shade I use most as a standalone blush is Haze, followed by Dawn and Storm. All shades have a very natural skin finish on my face. I still say Cloud Paints give me the most natural looking flush of any cream blush I've ever used. It's easy to go overboard with the darker shades, partly because it's so easy to squeeze too much product at once out of the tube. Cloud Paint's not a thick textured blush: it has a thin, gel, almost watery texture. Also, these blushes don't last all day on my cheeks, but they don't fade on me as quickly as they apparently do on other people (from feedback I've heard). I usually get a good 4-5 hours out of them before they start to fade, and I can extend that wear time with a good translucent hydrating setting powder. 

1,121 Replies
testing