Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

*new group located here: Deeper Shades

Have a deeper hue and want to know how a product might look on your skin tone?  This is the place for you!

Image result for shades of brown

Several ladies expressed interest in having a BIC group dedicated to WOC.  Such a group would serve as a central reference point for swatches, color matching and the like, which can often be difficult to find.  While I have no idea whether such a group will ever be created I figured it would be nice to at least have a thread.

It should go without saying, but  **Ladies (and gents) of all hues are more than welcome **

💋💋💋

Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

Thanks for the swatches. I was thinking about getting the Hourglass palette. I have the ambient face powder and I love the glow it gives. I hate I missed out on the edit palette from last year but I heard it’s coming back 🤞🏽

@Mrsmakeuplover1  In case you missed this year’s Hourglass Ghost Unlocked palette (which seems to be a re-release of last year’s Unlocked palette in this year’s Ghost casing) at Sephora and Hourglass direct: Beautylish still has it in stock as of 5 minutes ago. 😉 

Thanks for the swatches @WinglessOne! I thought the Viseart blushes would have more punch based on how they look in the pan. The Hourglass looks more like highlighters than blushes. 

@sephoraaddict918  You can get a bolder punch of color from most of those Viseart blushes if you don’t diffuse them as much as I did in my swatches. But I’m surprised numbers 1 and 5 aren’t nearly as vibrant on my skin as I expected. I mean I figured number 1 would be super light on me, but good grief, I almost can’t see it! 😄 

Hourglass swatches are hard to convey via still photos. I’ll have to share photos of me wearing Lucid Glow on my face in different kinds of light (daylight vs. my stupidly warm bathroom lighting vs. fluorescent lighting) to better show it off. Brilliant Nude is definitely a highlighter shade on my skin tone. I think it’ll work great in my hollow tear troughs, to bounce some light off those shadows without looking too much like highlighter. 

Generally speaking, though, I doubt Hourglass’s Ambient Lighting blushes are meant to give bold color on any skin tone. They’re supposed to behave like the Ambient Lighting powders while providing a soft flush. Most of their previous blush shades were so subtle on me, they were invisible. (I have the same problem with NARS Orgasm.) But I’m very pleased with the 4 shades in the Ghost quad, especially since I can easily layer or ombré them. Folks looking for boldly pigmented blush shades will be disappointed in this quad, though. 

Update on Fenty wear... I'm not fond of the new foundation; however, I think it's for dry skin. The shades are more accurately described this go 'round and I was able to use the same shade as I would before. It wasn't heavy (persay) or tight. It felt more like a moisturizer than a foundation. On my skin, it felt greasy but I do believe it is true to it's "hydrating" claim. It did not transfer more than the original. The oiliness did not show in my pictures. I did end up taking it back. I LOVE the pencil though. It was so easy to use and stayed put. I used it with my ABH pomade.

Good to know it lives up to the hydrating claims @HazelEyedQueen , I can easily pass since I don't have dry skin.

I think it will be loved by women that prefer dewy and/or...

I think it will be loved by women that prefer dewy and/or have dryer skin. For me, I love a good matte look

Ok Beauties... I was, finally, able to get my hands on a few beauty Bakerie items I wanted to try. Sadly, the foundation and spray weren't for me but the caramel flour powder was. I didn't like how "not like me" my skin looked with the foundation. The spray wasn't horrible, it just wasn't better than the Mac Fix+ or UD All Nighter (IMO). I felt like my skin looked oily/shiny with the foundation. I do believe it was made more for dry skin.

I have been wanting to try the Beauty Bakerie Setting Powder since everyone has been raving about it for so long. It is currently on my list to get during Ulta's next 20% Prestige Sale. Did you use Caramel to set your entire face or just the concealer @HazelEyedQueen? I like a slightly highlighted under eye, but I definitely want to avoid the dreaded flashback.

Thanks for the info @HazelEyedQueen and @WinglessOne!!! I currently have the translucent on my list to try first.

I use three of their powders for a complete beat. I set t...

I use three of their powders for a complete beat. I set the priner with their translucent powder. I use the on top of my concealer and I use brown all over. I haven't experienced flashback m⁸

@sephoraaddict918  I have the translucent Flour powder and often use it to mattify my oily nose area. I dust it over a mattifying primer that I use only on my oily zone. It passed my flashback test, so I assume the tinted versions would as well. 🙂

I've always wanted one of the Sephora palettes and had, previously, tried catching them with points. However, after trying the SEPHORA COLLECTION - Sephora PRO Editorial 2.0 Palette in store, I'm, kind of, glad I didn't. The mattes are beautiful. The glitters... notsomuch. That orange though...🤤

Hi @HazelEyedQueen ,

I love the Warm Pro Palette. Have you tried spraying the shimmer/glitter shadows with a setting spray to see if that helps them pop more? That orange shade is amazing! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

I did not try that. When Sephora opens here, I'm try that...

I did not try that. When Sephora opens here, I'm try that step if they have it.

@HazelEyedQueen That orange is POPPIN'!! I like the sparkle in the purple shade, but the other colors from the swatch are ... YAWN. 

Agreed. I thought it was going to be...more? if that make...

Agreed. I thought it was going to be...more? if that makes sense.

While on vacay, I picked up a couple of things. I wanted to get the MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Hydrating Makeup Primer with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 1.52 / 45 mL that everyone raves about but I can't use any of their products since they use hemp and cannabis products/byproducts. So, I noticed the new VIOLET VOSS - Bright Vibes Neon Pressed Pigment Palette . I love a good bright palette. I didn't know Sephora was releasing their own lash line. I purchased the SEPHORA COLLECTION - #LASHSTORIES Foodie and Ouch. I'm taking the pencils back. I thought they were $4, not $10. But I'm excited to try everything else.

Those swatches tho ... giphy

They're gorgeous! They felt soft as well without being to...

They're gorgeous! They felt soft as well without being too powdery.

Mellt’s new Radioactive palette. It’s not the palette I went to buy tonight, but it’s the one I happily left with. Finger swatches in Sephora’s overhead lighting. This bad boy is crazy pigmented and this photo doesn’t do it justice. 

Melt Cosmetics Radioactive palette.Melt Cosmetics Radioactive palette.

testing