cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Trying to capture the curls on the non-part side of my hair. Got a couple ringlets going which is nice. But my hair isn't as defined since I didn't take as much time putting product in. Oops! Here's to tomorrow!

^^look a couple ringlets^^look a couple ringlets

Off topic, I like what you are doing with your brows here, you seem to have some extra contrasting color that is making your light-colored eyes pop more than usual. (Apologies if it's just the lighting or something!) @ShortErica 

@gingerleigh I think you actually caught me on a day when I applied the Ulta tinted brow gel. Hahaha! So good eye and thank you.

Your hair came out good @ShortErica . I feel the next step that you need to add is adding volume to your hair. Possibly a stylist needs to add more layers underneath or maybe it is time for another hair cut.

I definitely didn't fluff it out yet cause it is still a little damp in this picture. I do need layers around my face and have been saying for ages I am going to do it @Loretta55. I just hate paying big bucks for hair cuts and generally don't trust hair stylists.

Do you get a Devacut @ShortErica? I guess that I have been lucky with finding good hair stylists. 

My last cut was my first DevaCut. I felt the stylist did listen to me really well. Some things I liked and others I didn't but was planning to give her another go. Well, she's no longer with the salon so I'm back to square one. Plus the DevaCut is quite pricey especially when it basically a trim I need.

I think you have been lucky with stylists @Loretta55 and I'm a bit jealous.

Sorry to hear that the stylist that you liked is no longer with the salon that you went to @ShortErica. I started getting Devacut when Sephora started to carry the Devacurl line in 2013. Back then one of the GWP’s was a 3 pack containing No Poo, One Condition and Ultra Styling Gel that was 1 ounce each. Each of the little pouches lasted me 2 - 3 shampoos. I was getting frustrated with my hairdresser at that point who was looking for more of a media presence after doing some styling at NY Fashion week. I felt that I would get a great haircut then a very subpar cut. I went to the Devacurl website and researched stylists in my local area. I found my stylist through the Devacurl website. My stylist had advanced training so I gave her a shot but It took awhile until I got the results that I was hoping for. 

@Loretta55 I went through the DevaCurl website too. I picked this salon because they did both DevaCuts and Ouidad and I wanted to discuss the differences and what would work best for my hair. As soon as I said wavy they immediately just said DevaCut only which was a bit of a turnoff. I'm not sure I'm sold on a dry cut since my hair never dries the same way. So I don't know if I go back to the salon again or find something else.

Anyone near a Publix..cause you might want to check it out. For some reason DevaCurl Low Poo was marked to $10.99, saving $11. Just an FYI if you use it - save some money!

What do you all use to combat humidity poof? My hair looked great when I left the house, but by the time I got to my school twenty minutes later, it was huge and fluffy. I had to rewet my head to salvage it! Note to self: bring sample size of hair product to keep in my desk. 

Hmm...when my hair was curly I just a lot more gel to keep it all contained and avoid frizz. Now, my hair just isn't as frizzy (I guess I've got to look at the positives) except it can go a bit crazy after playing sports outside. What product(s) were you using @tastelikewater? Is this a new thing or a consistent thing that's always happened when it is humid? I know @Loretta55 is still on the search for a product for frizz.

@ShortErica Humidity poof is nothing new to me, sadly! Gel normally does the best job of keeping it at bay, but it's not always the look that I'm going for. That day I was using the Davines Love Curl Cream, which leaves my hair feeling super soft. Normally that's a good thing, but it might not have the hold I need for the humid weather ahead. 

Maybe a combo could work @tastelikewater? Not all gel but enough to combat some frizz with the cream still leaving your hair soft. Hmm..

I just purchased a couple of IGK products from Ulta so I could stack some good Beauty Bag offers @ShortErica . Someone on the Lipstick thread discussed some IGK products for frizz so I am hoping for good results.

@ShortErica - You had posted sometime back about seeing my hair.  I don't like to post pictures of myself for privacy reasons, but I have posted a pic or two of my hair since I can hide my face.  I washed my hair this morning, used the Verb Ghost Mask that I received in the gratis box from Sephora, applied Verb Ghost Oil, and let air dry.  No styling products or hair spray today.  This is also my natural hair color.  I haven't high/lowlighted in years.  You can also see that I'm not joking about being "pasty white" either!  I'll post another pic(s) when I use styling products so you can see the difference.

20190518_083934[1].jpg

Thank you for posting a photo @Titian06. We have a similar wave/curl pattern. How long does it take for your hair to dry when you air dry?

@Loretta55 - It takes around 2 hrs to dry and a little longer if I add a styling product.

Maybe I need to try no style products @Titian06 because my minimum air dry time is 4 hours.

@Loretta55 - I have fine hair.  It might even be considered thin, but I try not to think about that!  😄

Thanks for sharing @Titian06! I'm curious how styling products will change the result. I've added some color despite sunscreen but am still fair to light. How are you enjoying your gratis?

783 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing