cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@Loretta55 I usually just let it air dry. I work with kids so my hair is usually up in a bun all day so there's not point in styling it. Plus, it takes for e ver.

I know exactly what you mean @makeitup305. I only wash my hair if I am not working. It takes anywhere from 4 - 8 hours for my hair to air dry completely depending on the humidity level. My hair length is between chin and shoulder length. When I diffuse my hat it takes about 15 minutes to dry. 

@Loretta55 I live in AZ so it dries pretty fast now, but when I lived in FL it took a lot longer. When I sleep with it wet it gives me kinkier waves so I do that sometimes. I spent almost a year without a hair dryer and barely missed it. I bought one last month and I've only used it a couple of times- partly because of time, partly because my dog goes berserk when I do. I think she thinks it's trying to kill me.

I have not slept with wet hair because when I do the side that I slept on loses it Wave definition. I miss the SW weather @makeitup305. After my mom passed away I have not returned. 

@Loretta55 this time of year makes it worth it to live here during the summer. 

I am always cold but the AZ heat and humidity do not bother me. I feel the NE humidity is different from the SW humidity @makeitup305. I also miss the clay colored mountains of the SW.

20181122_195439.jpg

Interesting conversation with my stylist! She recommends against drugstore shampoos and conditioners because most of them are filled with icky products; however, good haircare doesn’t have to be expensive. She said the Deva products are fine, they aren’t drying out my hair, but she doesn’t subscribe to the CurlyGirl method herself. She takes a more practical approach to silicones, and says that they’re fine to use as long as you understand that they’ll create buildup and you’ll need to clarify. If a product with ‘cones gives you the best hair of your life, go for it! My main takeaway was that there’s no “right” way to care for our waves and curls, and good hair shouldn’t require ten steps and five products 😛 Don’t buy into marketing or hype, and find what works for you! 

That said, for me specifically she recommends foams and gels, as I’m naturally oily and can’t handle creams, serums, oils, etc. Unfortunately she didn’t have any specific product recommendations, but she’s going to talk to some other clients about what they use. 

@tastelikewater your stylist seems like a winner. When I had my hair glory days, I used a variety of products and didn't have any problems. I think it's frustrating when people insist only one brand of products is any good. As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not sold on Deva but I want to try some of their other styling products to determine if something will become a hair gold standard. If you get any product suggestions, I'd be curious to hear about them.

@tastelikewater I heard about the not buying shampoo and conditioner from drugstores or places like Target a couple years ago.  I only buy my hair stuff from Sephora, Ulta, Neimans, Saks or Beautylish. 

RE: Re: Ride the WAVE with me

I posted in that other thread - don't even remember which one anymore - about our hair struggles, so I'll be following this one closely 🙂

I'm seeing my stylist today who's taught me so much about curly hair, and I'm curious what she'll have to say about my Deva regimen. I suspect the high glycerin content in the shampoo and conditioner is drying me out, which is frustrating because I actually like how my hair feels right when I get out of the shower. Even when I don't touch it, the curl definition doesn't last, much like you described.

I used to post over in the Naturally Curly forum, but there's way too much information and it makes my head spin! The pineapple, the ice queen, the supersoaker, protein vs. no protein...I can't. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I'm really hoping to find a simple regimen of shampoo, conditioner, and 2 styling products. Fingers crossed for us both! 

A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.

RE: Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Preach sister! If you find that 4 step routine let us know!!!

Re: RE: Re: Ride the WAVE with me

I look forward to an update on what your stylist says @tastelikewater

By the way, I love when you share pictures. Your look is always so natural and flawless. Once I finish the no-buy I need to remember to ask you about lip products because I'm digging your shade selections.

Re: RE: Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@ShortErica You're too kind, thank you! I'm all about low-maintenance lipstick at this stage in my life. I just picked up a few to round out my collection, and now I'm instituting a makeup no-buy until I start hitting pan on the things I already own. Hair products are another story!

Today I used DEVACURL - Buildup Buster™ Micellar Water Cleansing Serum, DEVACURL - One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditioner, and Arc AnGel gel.

20181120_111654.jpg

20181120_111749.jpg

@ShortErica 

Very beautiful lady and I love your curl and color! Is that your natural color?

Thanks @Jbird1999! Yep, that's my natural color. I have a combination of brunette and red with occasionally some remnants of blonde from my youth. I remember during college my friends would debate what color to classify my hair and created Facebook groups for their causes. Haha.

Hope you find some useful info on this thread. I know Olaplex was discussed and plenty of curly hair products that others have had success with. 🙂

This is my hair dry. When I apply product to soaking wet hair, I have large ringlets that are curls. *I need to remember to take a picture of this* It kills me that most don't stay like that. I may have a couple scattered but covered by other hair. My hair also gets a curl mane around my face when I work out. So I feel like my hair still has curl potential but I don't know what to do to keep it curly.

Your waves are so pretty @ShortErica & @tastelikewater. I do not see my favorite Devacurl product mentioned which is Wavemaker. First time I tried it I saw a huge difference in my hair whether or not I blow dried my hair with a difusser or air dried my hair. Also try not to touch your hair. If you are not happy with the way a section of curl may have turned out try spraying some of the Curlmaker (formally known as Spray Gel) then scrunch away for some curl revival.

@Loretta55 The Wavemaker and Volumizing Foam came in the mini-kit I bought from Deva's site. On its own it's not quite giving me the definition and frizz-fighting I need, so I'm cocktailing it with other products. The picture I posted is Wavemaker smoothed over my waves, then a scrunch of Amika gel. I'm hopeful that after I get my hair cut tonight, I'll be able to see how the products really perform, as I'm overdue for a shaping. 

@Loretta55 Thank you. I try my darndest not to touch my hair and I always air dry. Would you happen to know the reason why my ends dry so much faster and seem to separate than the rest of the wave/curl? At the point when my ends aren't together I have been using John Frieda leave-in conditioner to spritz them lightly and make the hair cooperate which seems to work.

Yes, I will have to try the Wave Maker at some point. I think you recommended that to me in another post. I appreciate your comments!

Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing