Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Protein overload

Spoiler

Hey beautiful people! 

over the past few months I began my transition back to my natural curls, using products like Olaplex, Deva curl and some oils on my scalp. I found that my hair was becoming very dry/brittle and my ends were breaking in small pieces. This shocked me because I thought I was doing a great job at taking care of my hair. After some research, I discovered that my problem was ‘Protein Overload’. From the info that I gathered, it seems as though the only way to repair the hair is to use heavy in ‘moisture’ products ( particularly ones that are “protein free”) 

I was hoping that some of my curly haired sisters and brothers could help me out. Has anyone dealt with protein Overload before? Do you know what products I need to be looking for? 

Thank you for your time💘👩🏽‍🦱

@Anonymous @damage @proteinoverload 

Re: Protein overload

HIGHLY recommend this curl origin overnight mask DOUBLE MOISTURE OVERNIGHT MASK - Curl Origin it does wonders. leave it in overnight only once a month to avoid hydral fatigue . Use it once a week for 25- 40 minutes then wash out . Adding heat while deep conditioning is also a game changer because it helps the product penetrate and deliver moisture to the hair from the inside out. You can use a hooded dryer to to this steamer are also excellent but cant be used every weak as your hair will become over moisturize. Most importantly stop using protein until your moisture levels have been balance and when it is the right time to resume try sticking to once a month especially if you have low porosity hair. ( if you don't have heat or colour damage you do not need olaplex)

Re: Protein overload

I haven't dealt with this personally but I would think you'd be looking for a deep conditioning mask like  adwoa beauty Baomint™ Deep Conditioning Treatment 16 oz/ 453 g . I feel I should mention I have curly/wavy hair so if yours is curlier/ has a different texture an oil may be a better option for you I just know it'd be too much for me. I'm not a hair scientist or whatever, but generally if your problem was too much protein I would maybe stay away from Olaplex as I think all their stuff has protein/ more strength building ingredients that may not help your problem

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing