From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

What kind of foundation is the most forgiving?

For a novice, which type of foundation would you say is the best place to start? Liquid, stick, powder... water based, or silicone based? Would really appreciate your help comparing the pros and cons of coverage, as well as application methods (beauty blender, fingers, brushes). Thank you guys so much!!

Re: What kind of foundation is the most forgiving?

It really depends on your skin type (dry, normal, combo, oily) and your preference level for coverage (sheer, light, medium and full).Foundation should look like you - meld into your skin and not a mask. Shade matching is very important - too light and you can look ashen, too dark and you can look muddy.  Also match to your undertone (pink or yellow) for the most natural look.  It's very hard to match on your own, easier if you take someone with you. 

A powder foundation is easiest to start with unless you have dry skin, in which case you might want a liquid or cream. If you don't like the finish of a powder, you can spritz it with a finishing mist.

Liquid vs cream (eg, like Hourglass or Maybelline Stick) is likely a matter of preference and skin type (creams often not so good for oily skin as they can clog pores if too creamy).  I prefer foundation brush or beauty blender vs fingers. Application is lightest with a beauty blender, then brush, then fingers (whatever you use, keep them clean). Also, sometimes the formula of a foundation works better with a blender or brush, usually the manufacture recommends the best way to apply (see the "How To Use" section when you look up a product on Sephora website).

If you live near Sephora or Ulta, have a SA help you.  If not, stop by a local drug store, Walmart or Target with a friend and pick a shade that's closest to your facial skin (don't match to your hand or wrist).  For powders, I particularly like Cover Girl or L'Oreal True Match. If you need a lot of coverage and want to try a liquid, L'Oreal, Revlon and Maybelline are all good first time foundations  (there's a bunch of different ones geared toward skin type and base preference) until you settle on what you like and you may find you like them so much you don't need to buy expensive ones.

RE: Re: What kind of foundation is the most forgiving?

Yo this in depth andwer is a godsend and you are a life saver!! I have a routine already but I have two friends just starting out and it's so hard to help them cuz I basically just stumbled from one cheapest-drugstore-foundation to another and then got colormatched and got reccommendations from a pro in-store. Thank you so much!
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing