Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|
Anonymous Insider

Foundation for woman in late 40's, something not too heavy, mostly for discoloration?

Hi, this is my first post on a Sephora forum and I'm asking this question for my lovely roommate. She's in her late 40s and has never worn foundation, so she's trying to find a product that's light and feels like it's barely there. She's looking for something that will make her skin tone more even because she has some redness, but she says that regular foundation makes her look older because it tends to settle into and exaggerate wrinkles. Maybe something below $40? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance. 

Anonymous Insider

Re: Foundation for woman in late 40's, something not too heavy, mostly for discoloration?

Dr. Jart's Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting treatment is great for evening out skin tone and reducing redness. It isn't really makeup, but more skin care,with SPF 30 and tiger grass to help calm the cause of the redness. The cream is green, but when you blend it into your skin it turns beige and evens everything out. I put it on after my regular skin care regimen, and sometimes I will layer IT Cosmetics CC cream over top, but it definitely stands up on it's own.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Foundation for woman in late 40's, something not too heavy, mostly for discoloration?

OMG Love naturals has the best foundation all natural and I love it for older skin! I'm a make up artist and I use it on my A-list celebrity clients OMG the best!!!!Naked 07 Honey.jpgroyal 01 copy copy.jpg

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi, this is my first post on a Sephora forum and I'm asking this question for my lovely roommate. She's in her late 40s and has never worn foundation, so she's trying to find a product that's light and feels like it's barely there. She's looking for something that will make her skin tone more even because she has some redness, but she says that regular foundation makes her look older because it tends to settle into and exaggerate wrinkles. Maybe something below $40? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance. 

and this is so amazing you have to try it!!

https://www.lovenaturalscosmetics.com/naked-organic-foundation-100natural

Anonymous Insider

Thank you everyone! Great responses

I am also in my late 40's with some sun damage from carelessly not wearing an SPF sunscreen.  I also hate heavy foundations and like a light feeling natural look.  I love Tarte BB cream primer 12 hour treatment with 30 SPF.  It has very light coverage but does a good job at lessening the look of obvious skin imperfections.  I believe it's 36 dollars but a little goes a long way and the tube lasts forever.  Also, I would encourage your friend to wear SPF under this every day..Hope this helps.

RE: Foundation for woman in late 40's, something not too heavy, mostly for discoloration?

It's all about the prep. 1. Wash with something gentle and moisturizing constraint lactic acid or honey. 2. Ha serum, let dry for 10 min. I like mychelle's version. 3. Moisturize let sit 4. Primer. They aren't non-toxic, but smashbox's blue hydrating primer, and IT cosmetics' mineral veil help with lines by plumping a bit. Laura mercies id good too. 5. Lightweight foundation. Do not go full coverage but also don't go super Dewey either. Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer, Tarte's bb cream, and, smadhbix's bb cream are good. RMS beauty and Josie Marian are mom toxic and the older we get, the more important that is for beauty. Apply with a slightly damp beauty blender and use only where needed. Use a dry flat top brush to buff out and off. 6. Finish with an HS powder. Only powder the t zone. She'll want to be matte without dry. 7. Use rosehip seed oil mixed into moisturizer. It has vitamin c, moisturizes, tightens. 8. Look into flash balms like Ren's beauty shot or mychelle's firming serum 9. Some good tutorials on natural makeup are by Lisa Eldridge. 10. Don't buy cosmetics through Amazon. I've had really bad luck with them. A few good non toxic foundations: gressa, Sappho, Alima, dr. Hauschka's tinted moisturizer, 100% pure cosmetics, vapour cosmetics, Pacifica bb serum, au natural, nu. Look on pharmaca dot com or detox market dot com or your local natural market or healthfood store for many of these. It's not just a matter of "going green." Parabens etc. irritate and prematurely Age skin Some good lines that Sephora carries: Ren, herbivore, Josie marsh, RMS, bite, korress Some that say they are natural but are not: kiehls, Tarte, Clinique 6. Spray with rosewater or mineral water to set. Let dry. 7. Use a colorless powder to set. Avoid undereyes 8. Throughout the day, spritz with a diy mix of rose or orange blossom water and aloe liquid or, fab on a moisturizer onto lines and undereyes. You can deactivate makeup including blush, and blend it back in. See my earlier post for more details and look at Green beauty counter dot com for recommendations.

RE: Foundation for woman in late 40's, something not too heavy, mostly for discoloration?

The only non toxic ones that Sephora carries are Josie Marian and RMS beauty. RMS beauty's uncoverup is awesome but it needs lots of blending. These aren't at Sephora but have won green beauty awards: Well people narcissist stick, Vapour Beauty stick or cream, Alima satin or matte, Pacifica serum foundation, Gressa Foundation, Sappho liquid foundation, Jane iredale, Gabriel, mineral fusion, or, nu evolution. Butter beauty is non toxic but not natural. I'm 43 and try to use all clean makeup and skincare. I've Ben doing it for about a year, and my skin looks much better. Using products with parabens synthetic perfumes, mineral oil, dimethicone, and propylene glycol was making my skin dry, irritated, and dull. Even so-called "natural" lines like Tarte and Kiehls didn't help. Turns out that they weren't natural. Take a look at some tutorials by Lisa Eldridge in simple makeup that is polished. A few good lines that Sephora does carry are herbivore, rms beauty, Josie maran, bite beauty (the lip crayon won a green award.) Juice beauty and dr perricone are also good. Look on qvc for deals on perricone first. DON'T buy any of these in Amazon as they are often not authentic. Some good brands of skincare are: Odacite, dr. Hauschka (eye balm and sat cream) mychelle hyralaunic and vit c serums, nourishing moisturizer, pumpkin peel Less pricey ones: kiss my face (face wash, body lotion, bath and body, sunscreen) acure (just about any bath or body) Fleur di Lis face grains, Burt's bee's orange face wash Look on detox market dot com , thrive market dot com, or pharmacy dot com . If you live near a PCC , Whole Foods, or other natural market, many of these products are available there. Also try plain organic rosehip oil. It helps skin firmness, has tons of vit c, and gives it a glow A good book on natural beauty is by Kat James and the green beauty website is awesome. Best of luck to you!

Maybe something like Tarte Rainforest of the Sea for under the $40 mark? Make Up For Ever Water Blend is $43, that one is super lightweight. My pricey pick would be Armani Maestro Glow. @Anonymous

I really like the Givenchy photo'perfexion foundation. It's more medium coverage but could be mixed with moisturizer for a more sheer coverage. It doesn't feel heavy at all. It's a more luminous finish, and I don't think it emphasizes any fine lines or wrinkles.

I really like the Givenchy photo'perfexion foundation. It's more medium coverage but could be mixed with moisturizer for a more sheer coverage. It doesn't feel heavy at all. It's a more luminous finish, and I don't think it emphasizes any fine lines or wrinkles.

Hi @Anonymous, congrats on your first post! 🙂

I'm in my mid-40s now, and have tried many types of powder, liquid, and cream foundations over the years.  My current favorite is Makeup For Ever's stick foundation.  This format in general is fuss-free (unlike liquid foundations) and easy to use.  And unlike powder foundations, it doesn't make your skin look dryer.  Although powder is easiest and quickest to apply, so there's a tradeoff.  You could always apply powder, then mist your face with some water to counteract the dryness.

Some things to consider when shopping for foundation, is what type of skin you have (oily, dry, combination?) and what type of coverage you need (light, medium, full?).  When I had dry skin with lots of acne, I needed full coverage liquid foundation.  Now my skin is oily/combination with no acne, so I go with light-medium coverage.  Oh, and finding the right shade can be difficult!  Is your skin tone warm, cool, yellow, pink, light, dark?  You can always go to Sephora and have an associate color match you.

Lastly, you need the right tools to apply your foundation!  You can definitely use your fingers to apply and blend liquid and creams.  I prefer brushes (especially something like this Real Techniques brush that you can find in most drugstores).  I also love the Beauty Blender sponge for blending out liquid and cream foundations (Real Techniques makes a similar orange one for much less).

s1713155-main-LheroScreenshot 2017-11-01 at 6.26.46 AM.png

s1151869-main-Lhero

https://www.sephora.com/product/ultra-hd-invisible-cover-stick-foundation-P398775?skuId=1713213

https://www.sephora.com/product/beautyblender-P228913?skuId=1151869&icid2=products%20grid:p228913

Anonymous Insider

Thanks so much for your reply! I'll relay the information to her

Josie Maran's Argan oil light works great mixed in with regular foundation. I was going to return a foundation that was the perfect shade, but it accentuated forehead lines. The SA told me to mix in some argan oil, and it is perfect now.

Anonymous Insider

Hmm, that's really interesting that argan oil would help. Thank you!

Anonymous Insider

What about It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream SPF 50+? There are a few shades to choose from.  

It Cosmetics CC cream made me look older (created more fine line than what I actually have) when I tried 2-3 times and also made me look bitgrey ashy so I did not go for it. 

I was watching Van Goss 3 min video y'day and apparently all foundations make you look older, some more and some less so you just need to find the one that works for you personally. 

I tried the Bobbi Brown skin and really liked it. It was luminous, did not make me look older. This is on my wish list while I try couple of other suggested options as well (I think one is Nars and the other is Urban Decay) before making the final decision. It's hard for me to find foundations, SAs keep matching me to too dark, too ashy or too orange shades so currently I am on hunt for one and just using the DE Umbra Tinte.

Anonymous Insider

I'll tell her about the Bobbi Brown product. Thank you for that thorough reply. 

Has she tried a color corrector? Smashbox Photo Finish Co...

Has she tried a color corrector? Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correctormaybe what she is looking for. I know it is a primer but you can wear it without foundation. Or First Aid Anti-redness serum may help

RE: Has she tried a color corrector? Smashbox Photo Finish Co...

I like au narurale's color correctors. The green is exvellent for redness and the peach or pink (depending on skin's shade,) are great for circles. Pixi also has an awesome peach concealer. One more: Alima has powders. That seems counter intuitive, but they work and aren't drying.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Has she tried a color corrector? Smashbox Photo Finish Co...

Hmm, I'm not sure, I'll ask. Thanks for your reply!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos5
  • s1713155-main-Lhero
  • Screenshot 2017-11-01 at 6.26.46 AM.png
  • s1151869-main-Lhero
  • Naked 07 Honey.jpg
  • royal 01 copy copy.jpg
testing