Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Foundation separates really badly on my oily/combo skin

I have oily/combo skin and I mostly get oily in my t-zone (especially around my nose and chin). I've tried so many different foundations and primer combos but it seems like no matter what I use my foundation always separates and it looks almost like "dusty" on my face. Before I do my makeup I prep my skin by double-cleansing,using a gentle exfoliator,toner,and serums. I let the serums dry down for about 10 min, then apply gel moisturizer (wait another 10min for that to absorb into my skin),then sunscreen. I allow my sunscreen to also set for about 20 min before apply primer. For primer I used a blurring/mattifying primer only on the area where I get only and I really press it into my skin and also let that absorb for a few minutes. 

After prepping my skin, I do some light color corrector around my nose/under my eyes and applied concealer. Then I set those areas lightly with powder and wait a few minutes. I then apply my foundation with both a brush and a sponge, pressing and buffing it onto my face. For my foundation, I first applied one pump and then just added half a pump or less to build up the coverage I wanted.

After I applied my cream contour,cream bronzer,and cream blush and spray it with the Charlotte Tillbury spray and again let it dry down. Then I go over my cream products with the powder versions of them and then again lightly powder my t-zone. The very last thing I did was spray with the One/Size Beauty Setting Spray to finish. 

Now when I looked close up in the mirror in natural light I already saw my face had that "dusty",separated look. It didn't look like a clean,natural skin like finish at all. Then as I wore my makeup throughout the the day I started noticing so much separation around my nose (I wear glasses too so it was bad) and very bad separation on my chin and upper lip. I don't sweat alot but it is a little warm where I live. But the separation on my chin occurred when I lightly dapped a blotting sheet on my chin, the makeup on my chin completely came off. 

These are the products I've tried:

Haus Labs Foundation 

Fenty Eaze Drop Skin Tint 

Fenty Soft Lit Foundation 

Too Faced Soft Matte Foundation 

Fenty Soft/True Matte Primer

One/Size Beauty Secure the Blur Primer

Loreal Mattifying Primer

Elf putty primer

Elf gripping primer

Maybelline Fit Me Setting Powder

Fenty Setting powder

I'm starting to think it's not the products I'm using, I feel like I'm doing something wrong in my skin prep and application but I don't know what it is. I even look at my product ingredients to make sure my products are compatible (ie:silicone with silicone) Please help.

1000028376.jpg

1000028377.jpg

Re: Foundation separates really badly on my oily/combo skin

Hey I don’t know if you’ll see this since you posted a while ago but I have the sweatiest skin on the planet. I go into Sephora and other stores and I’m like I sweat a lot and my makeup separates and every person shows me something different .. a while back I was in the store and went to the Estée Lauder section to try their primer the lady asked if I needed help and I said I’d walk around and come back. So 5 mins later I came back. Mind you all I did was go and look at other stuff I wasn’t running around.. I go back about 5 minutes later and she looked at me and was like your face is like that just from walking around the store? And I was like ya! I’m not kidding. I understand people say they’re oily/sweaty but some of us have it bad! She recommended it cosmetics bye bye pores translucent powder. I tried that on and sweat it off in 5 mins . I’m going back to what I used to do because it didn’t melt off completely or leave me patchy like the things I’ve been trying now does. For skincare I use OIL FREE moisturizer (Tatcha water cream) then the secure the sweat primer by one size but you have to follow the directions . I SWEAR by Estée Lauder double wear foundation. It is my holy grail. I still use both cream and powder blush and bronzer cream blush - Juvias place cream bronzer/contour LYS contour stick powder blush - Nyx butter blush powder bronzer - Rimmel or benefit hoola- my cheeks do NOTTTTTTTTT  move. And I use bare minerals for setting powder or Kim chi puff puff pass and then spray myself down with elf all nighter (I think that’s what it’s called it’s light green) or urban decay and then one size on till dawn. When I started to spray in between layers is when things got messy. Hope this helps!!

@kalesL96 I think it’s that you’re layering too many creamy products on top of each other. I’ve got a super oily t-zone, too, and no liquid products have ever worked for me. I think you need to switch to powder formulas for your contour, blush, color correction and foundation. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Powder Foundation is good. Givenchy has a color correction palette, but only on their website. They sell the loose version here Givenchy Mini Prisme Libre Loose Setting and Finishing Powder 2 Satin Blanc   Good luck! 🍀 

@kalesL96 Also, I’ve noticed that I’m not so oily when I use Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Treatment Face Oil 

@kalesL96 , ah you've been through the gamut for application.  I don't think it's technique, but too much technique. Maybe don't set the color corrector when powder as well as applying foundation with both a brush and sponge?  And one pump of foundation is usually sufficient . (Unless you have heavy discoloration to cover up, it's probably too much product on your oily areas.)  For example, if I use my Ami Colé Skin-Enhancing Lightweight & Blurring Foundation Stick and Danessa Myricks Beauty Yummy Skin Mattifying Water Powder Serum with Niacinamide and Hyaluronic Acid... , it can separate, even with powder, so I stop using powder with it and just lightly touch it up during the day. 

During the summer, I also use spray setting spray between base steps so that it has a chance to melt/meld and use what's leftover on my brush for my nose folds and laugh lines vs applying product directly on them.  Some separation is normal because skin is skin, so I can get away with just lightly tapping it back in with my fingers and I'm good for the rest of the day, but I get what you mean about separated cakey look.

Thank you ill give it a try without putting too much powder. I also just realized maybe my sunscreen I wore underneath my makeup might have been an issue because it wasn't silicone based like the other products I was using

🤞🏽🤞🏽 @kalesL96 ,

Also, for glasses, you can lightly dust the part touches your face with setting powder.

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos2
  • 1000028376.jpg
  • 1000028377.jpg
testing