Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

@makeitup305 yay i'm glad you like the conditioner ! i often lose patience too. i literally have to 'schedule it in' (as i typically will do a 30 min - 2 hr hair mask session, depending on how much time i have), and find the blow drying process so tedious. my favorite thing to do is do it in bed w/ netflix and subtitles. definitely helps pass the time !

i have not used any of the new devacurl masks ! i'm so devoted to the heaven-in-hair that i have not felt a need to stray, but of course i'm curious ! please report back to me what you think. adding a hair mask and using one condition as a leave-in has really helped my routine.

@jemly - Your hair looks awesome!

I've been wanting to thank you for a couple of weeks now.  In a thread with DevaCurl last month or so, you talked about how great their products are, especially Believe in, and posted a picture.  I think you called it your grungy boy look!  I bought it on my last order.  OMGosh, it is exactly what I was looking for, but would never have given it a thought if I hadn't listened to you!

My hair has gone from being kinda frizzy and stringy with half-hearted S waves/curls to frizz-free, bouncy, loose, spirally S waves/curls (basically it looks like yours, but in dishwater blonde).  My second-day hair also looks awesome now too!

Thank you so much @jemly!

@Titian06 oh my goodness i'm so thrilled to hear this !!! yayyyyyy ! thank you for letting me know !!

Looks fantastic @jemly!

@sister13 thank you !! devacurl saves the day, yet again

I ran out of my Devacurl Delight One Condition and I'm th...

I ran out of my Devacurl Delight One Condition and I'm thinking of going for the Ultra Moisture or the Original next because I felt that it wasn't moisturizing enough. My hair is long, thick, and wavy and I only wash it twice a week so I want something that will provide enough moisture. Any idea which might be better?

Re: I ran out of my Devacurl Delight One Condition and I'm th...

@makeitup305 i definitely recommend the one condition regular ! i used the one condition decadence for about a year. i thought it was the best thing. but when i ran out, i grabbed a sample i had of the regular one condition, and decided i liked it even more. it is just as moisturizing (for my fine but plentiful curly hair) and doesn't weigh my hair down at all, which allows me to use it both as a regular conditioner AND leave-in. 

@makeitup305  I saw Deva Curl mentioned under Trending, so I thought I'd offer my experience.

I just started using the original shampoo and conditioner and the Wave Maker.  My hair doesn't feel conditioned/moisturized after using them.  In fact, it doesn't look very good at all on the first day of shampooing.  However, the second day is when my curls seem smoother and less frizzy.  The thing I like least about these products though is it makes my bathtub slippery.  What can I say; I'm kind of a klutz.

@Ispend2much6 I've been using Devacurl low-poo and one condition delight for about a year and I really enjoy them, the shampoo especially. I saw a post on the Devacurl chat that said you can partially rinse out the One Condition for extra moisture and I think that helped. I still would prefer a more moisturizing one, since I only wash my hair 1-2 times a week. I haven't noticed it making my tub slippery though.

I'm on mobile at the moment and a little hard for me to navigate so I can't remember who I wanted to "@" this to but recently I had recommended the Peter Thomas Roth product Hair to Die For. I used up probably three bottles of that stuff when I was going through some major hair loss a few years ago (grief, stress and the side effect of a medication). It's not a miracle product but I did think it was pretty good. ANYWAY, I just saw that Macy's currently has it at half off for $29. Wanted to pass it along to the hair ladies. 

If nothing else, I remember that it smells really nice and you'll end up giving yourself a good scalp massage which will help stimulate growth no matter what.

hey I waa just reading through the posts and I think I am...

hey I waa just reading through the posts and I think I am going through a similar experience it would be great to know this might be the cause of my hair loss. I lost my brother less Sept right after the dr placed me on xanax, a couple months later my hair has been falling out...a lot. My dr says its not the medicine and blames it on my thyroid problems that Ive had for years and never had hair loss this bad. Maybe ur experience was different just wondering since u mentioned greif as a cause.

@starsandbucks Don't worry about it!  

Image result for hearts gif

I have the same problem and I just started to use  before the shower I put coconut oil and wait for 1/2 hour and then Kerastase shampoo,serum therapy for after shower, and intialiste for 3 days per a week and also Moroccan Oil mask ,too much work but it really works in short time!!my hair did not group for 10 years and was unhealthy but now its going to be good!!

jemly wrote:

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

RE: THE HAIR THREAD

So my hair had gone through a process it was dark, and we went to blonde the process was 2 years in the making. I am at a color I really love right now but I feel like my hair isn't growing anymore along with being frizzy. I have naturally curly hair so I do like to leave it in its natural state 3-4 times a week as to not damage it extra. What do you ladies recommend for bleached blonde hair for growth and frizz control moisture.

Re: RE: THE HAIR THREAD

What are the products you're using right now? 🙂 Every two weeks, I'd mix a bunch of Olaplex into my hair mask and leave it on for as long as I could humanly manage. The mask helped with moisturizing my ends while the Olaplex ended up working to repair the hair bonds. I'm almost out of my little bottle so I'm contemplating bringing home a bottle of the Redken version- after one use, I think I agree with my stylist that it works better. Pure coconut oil is also an incredibly decent option at a leave-in treatment. It's easily accessible and it works. One of my saving graces for when I was bleaching my hair quite frequently was the Redken Anti-snap. It's weird listing brands that aren't sold at Sephora, but I grew up in Redken salons. My hair desperately needed the extra protein, so I'd use that every time I washed my hair before putting on my Morroocan Oil.

@liz089 Honestly, the best thing for bleached hair is straight up coconut oil!  

I like to give myself a hair mask before any washings to really help hydrate and protect hair from shampooing.  Then after washing and conditioning I like to rub a quarter sized amount between my hands and work it into the ends of my wet hair.

@liz089 i have been LOVING the DEVACURL heaven in hair treatment. you could totally still use it on days you straighten or whatever, so don't let the branding misguide you. 

i use it once or twice a week. i usually leave it under a shower cap for anywhere from 20 min - 2 hours, before rinsing and going in with my normal conditioner. my hair has been more or less transformed.

Thank you, ill give this a try

RE: THE HAIR THREAD

After years of bleaching my already dry hair I decided to have all the damage cut out because it had stopped growing and felt like straw. My hair was chin length and I don't have a great picture of that but this is the difference one year of hair care makes! I use a weekly deep conditioning treatment and have loved Ouai as well as the new Sephora collection coconut hair mask. IGK products have made a huge difference with all of their vitamin rich ingredients. I use Smoke and Mirrors-Mistress-Down and Out-Instafamous-and their spray in hair mask. The Dry Bar straightener has also made a huge difference with the mineral infused plates that do less damage and help prevent frizz. I use Verb's leave in spray to detangle and heat protect as well as Living Proof's style extender so I can go longer between styling. My hair is shiny for the first time in years and I can actually brush through it without hitting any tangles! Hair health is hard work but so worth it.

@mkramer taking that leap to cut off damaged hair can be so scary, but you did good, girl ! i bet you find it grows faster (if that's what you want, of course) since the breakage will be at a minimal. 

my hair could probably stand to lose a couple inches--but i've been working years to grow out a shaved head, so i've noticed myself emotionally holding on to length that does me no favors. thanks for sharing your experience !!

I asked for black fading into charcoal hair and this is the first step to getting it and keeping god integrity of my hair.  It just started shining again.  I'll be rocking purple for the next month or so:)IMG_1548.JPG

446 Replies
testing