Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

Olaplex Introduces No. 9 Hair Serum

ZombieMetroAnt_0-1648240772909.png

"The product, which is devoid of silicones and boasts both protective and styling claims, launches on March 31 on Olaplex’s website and with sephora.com. It is priced at $28."

Spoiler
"We don't want sku proliferation, we want sku innovation," said Olaplex CEO JuE Wong.  

Hair care’s buzziest player is adding a new product to its lineup. 

The launch comes at a time of explosive growth for the brand, which raised a $1.8 billion IPO last year, valuing the business around $16 billion. In 2021, the brand more than doubled net sales to $598.4 million. 

As reported by WWD, the brand is betting on international expansion, such as its partnerships with Sephora and in professional businesses in Europe. It is predicting between $796 million and $826 million in net sales for 2022. 

“When Olaplex started in 2014, we did not launch anything new until four years later,” said JuE Wong, chief executive officer of Olaplex, nodding to its shampoo and conditioner launches. “But as evidenced by NPD tracking data, we had the top shampoo and conditioner in 2021. It had longevity. Our objective when we launch something is, it has to be best-in-class, while also being incremental and not cannibalizing to our business.” 

On the brand’s most recent earnings call, Wong called out the shampoo and conditioner, as well as the No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask, as some of its bestselling products for 2021. 

Despite the brand’s exponential sales increases, its assortment remains tightly edited. “What we don’t want is sku proliferation, we want sku innovation,” Wong said. “And we look at everything we do as having a treatment component.”
The product also boasts a range of claims. Olaplex tested the product to prove that it protects hair from pollution for 48 hours. It also uses a red algae extract to provide UVA and UVB protection, alongside the brand’s proprietary bond-building technology. It also protects against heat damage. 

“It also has a curved retention memory and a body retention memory as you style your hair,” Wong added. “I would love for a customer to be able to pick and choose their regimen. But at the same time, not to have to fluctuate between, say, No. 0 and No. 3. Our objective is to make it easy for existing customers, but also continue to acquire new customers to the Olaplex family. We are excited about this No. 9 launch because protection is the one thing people are most concerned about besides repairing their hair. This gives them optionality.” 

Wong posited that a streamlined yet customizable assortment was the best way to simplify purchasing decisions, adding that while other products have styling benefits, they are fundamentally different from No. 9. 

“We wanted to make this easy for the consumer, that if they love our products and want to protect their hair, they don’t have to keep putting on other products to build it up because that can weigh down the hair,” Wong added. “This is why we encourage No. 6 [Bond Smoother] and No. 7 [Bonding Oil]. If you look at them, they are part of a styling regimen, but with different benefits. No. 9 is a nourishing serum, protecting you against pollution, and No. 6 and No. 7 hydrate your hair.”
Wong didn’t comment on specific sales expectations for the serum, although industry sources expect its revenues to reach $15 million by the end of 2022.

@ZombieMetroAnt I wonder how this will be different from Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother 3.3 oz/ 100 mL .  I mean, I know 6 is a cream and 9 is a serum.  And 6 has silicones and 9 does not.  But in terms of how it would/could make my hair look better, I'm curious.

Does a 'Hair Mascara' exist that can cover/touch-up the odd Silver and white hairs? Without flaking or ick ingred.? Prefer clean' formula, quick & easy, in coppery-Auburn or warm Brown shade. I shampoo 3x wk, btw.

@MvLL I've tried a few products for this, the best I've found is the Bumble and bumble Bb. Color Stick Brown , I've used a few 'spray' type products and they always leave my hair feeling ... sticky/crunchy.  I try to just put it in where the grey is visible.  I've tried straight up brow powder and eye shadow, but they never really worked out well. If you find something that works well, please let me know!

Thanks! @missjeanie. The B&B crayon looks quite promising. Silvery strand-covering is a new thing for me, but I don't want to 'blanket' all my hair.

@MvLL I wish I could say it was new for me... Alas, I was early to start going grey. 

Hey all

anyone know the difference between the aquis original turban (yellow label) and the lisse  luxe turban (orange label)? TIA

Hello Lovelies I need some help. I've has the Oribe Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse for a few months. Every time I use it my hair becomes a crunchy mess, where I can't get my fingers through more then an inch. I've looked at Youtube videos and tried different ways of applying it but it always ends up a mess. Have any of you used it? Do you have any recommendations?

If not I have wavy, frizzy hair. There are times I'm basically too lazy to style it and would like to naturally let my hair dry. Any product recommendations that can help better define my waves so when it dries down I doesn't look like Hagrid's beard?!? Thank You!

I’m all over the Touchable Texture Whip by Devacurl @Aaliaa. I love to use this when I want my hair to air dry. It really helps to enhance my natural wave/curl (somewhere around 2A-2B) and it doesn’t make my hair crunchy at all, it just looks and feels really natural and pretty. It also helps to tame frizz and smells delicious 😋🍏 

I comb through my hair in the shower to detaingle, wrap my hair in a cotton T to absorb the excess water, and then I’ll scrunch a small amount of product into my hair and leave it to let it dry. 

I found that brushing it through or touching it too much would disrupt the curl and cause more frizz. 

So glad you shared your technique with us. @bakeamuffin!  I've been reading your posts recommending this product, and I think I need to give it a go!  Do you put any other products in your hair with the Texture Whip?

@greeneyedgirl107 I use it alone, typically I’ll skip my leave-in conditioner unless my hair is feeling super dry and then I’ll apply the conditioner first and scrunch in the Texture whip afterwards. It’s a great creamy product that hardly feels like it’s in your hair at all, I’m so glad I discovered it 😄

Thanks for the clarification, @bakeamuffin🙂

Thanks @bakeamuffin! I haven't tried anything by DevaCurl so I'll definitely check it out.

@Aaliaa I have a sample of it on hand, I can pop it into a mailbox for you if you’d like to try it? It’s a pretty generous sized foil sample, probably enough for 4 or more uses.It’s a pretty generous sized foil sample, probably enough for 4 or more uses.

Oh wow thank you @bakeamuffin! Thats so generous of you, I'll PM you.

So my last couple years with purple hair have been real, but I think I'm ready to go back to the land of the brunettes again for a while! My natural coloring in general is pretty neutral with a slightly warm undertone (I'm a "clear spring" according to the seasons thing) and I've realized lately the purple is sort of boxing me out of warmer makeup colors that work with my skin undertone but won't jive with my current hair (bronzes and clearer peachy tones).

Anyway, I don't want to use a color remover or Color Oops because that's way overkill, but I am going to push my hair to fade a bit before I recolor it... I got a bottle of Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Three (for chlorine and hard water deposits, not color-safe!) and I'm just going to wash with that a couple times every time I shower for the next few days to speed up the whole process. Tried it today and the lather was pink, so I think we're in business!Screenshot_20180306-004009.png

@fieldsofclover you don't really need to do that re the c...

@fieldsofclover you don't really need to do that re the clarifying. It will just dry out your hair. If you are getting it done by a stylist we know how to use the colour wheel to neutralize. Edit nvm I didnt read the full thread, sorry. I wouldn't wash it to a pink unless you're colouring with an Ash.

what did you buy? what volume developer?

what did you buy? what volume developer?@fieldsofclover

Re: what did you buy? what volume developer?

@GG84 I just got a Garnier consumer kit this time since my hair has always come out close to the target color with those (and stayed in decent enough condition). The box makes a big deal about how it's not for very dark hair, so it can't be more than 20v. 

Theoretically it's a 4 "deep chestnut brown" but they run a little light and I figure it will come out more red. Current color is a VV though, and I've only come back from red-violets before so I'm kind of curious to see what will happen... not worried about it coming out unwearable, at least, since I've already worn every possible shade between 😂

Re: what did you buy? what volume developer?

@fieldsofclover Its always 20 in those unless blonde. In theory a golden brown would have been best, worst case scenerio you have lots of red undertones which isnt horrible or you pull very ashy. Or you look like a lucious brunette. Time will tell! 

8 Replies
testing