Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: @fieldsofclover you don't really need to do that re the c...

@GG84I'm living dangerously and doing it at home 💰 There's only so much mixing I have the attention span for in one sitting so I'm just aiming to not have my bit of new growth end up too ashy... I'm not laboring under the delusion that it will come out the same as the swatch, at least 😂

Speaking of short attention spans, I might just end up doing it later tonight 🤔

Edit: it definitely won't fade up to a pink, I'm just shooting to have it finish closer to chestnut than burgundy on this first round.

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

( @darlyndar I'mma recolor on Thursday, I think 🤔 )

I’m obsessed @fieldsofclover. Your cut and color look amazing on you!!! 

@darlyndar I have the best stylist now! I just went in the first time and was like "so I'm kinda thinking something like X..." and she was like "Got it". Then boom, it was perfect! And it's short enough that I can do my own color again 😂💰

I'm going to work my way up to like a bronzey medium brown... I might lowlight after that, but I don't plan to go much lighter because I need the contrast.

THE HAIR THREAD

New favorite brand! Tried AG Hair (from Canada, got it at Ulta) and it is so good... I have purple hair and have always had to choose between washing my hair only 2x a week, or praying to make it a full month before I need to refresh my color. Excited to spend so much less money on dry shampoo in 2018!

Y'ALL. I just got one of the Amika Blowout Babe thermal b...

Y'ALL. I just got one of the Amika Blowout Babe thermal brushes, and I had to stop and take a photo halfway through because I can't believe how well it works! This is dry day-old hair (I have a 3A curl pattern), with day-old B&B Primer and Spray de Mode hairspray. Worth every penny!!

Re: Y'ALL. I just got one of the Amika Blowout Babe thermal b...

@fieldsofclover I love the difference it makes.  You found a good one!  Really settled the curls.  I love your haircut - very flattering and pretty!

Thanks @Fernleaf! It's so hard to find someone who can really walk that fine line of editorial-but-wearable, but my stylist is a real pro... I'm a client for life now!

Anonymous Insider

That is a sleek and gorge blowout @fieldsofclover!  Love it!

Thanks @myinsidevoice! I did not think I was going to be...

Thanks @Anonymous! I did not think I was going to be this excited about this thing, but I am blown away by how easy/fast it is.

I have a question: what do you do to make your hair not suck on non-wash days?? I recently started trying to wash my hair only every three days, but it feels so nasty and greasy on days when I don't wash it. I've tried several dry shampoos, but my hair is so fine (lots of it, but fine) that it just does nothing after the first hour or so. I've also tried rinsing my hair with water and re-applying my styling products and re-drying. That helped a little, but I've never tried to re-curl it or anything. Can you do that? Or maybe can someone just give me an idea for a daily wash and condition that won't destroy my hair? I want to take care of it, but I can't even wear it down the day after washing. I want volume and shine and strength, and I don't know how to get that without a daily wash. Pls help

I’ve recurled day old hair before, and it worked fine. I also try to sleep with my hair tied back at the base of my neck with one of those ribbon ties so it doesn’t leave ponytail marks in my hair. However, I only do every other day washing, and usually can’t go beyond 2 days without washing because of how fine and oily my hair is. I like the lush jumping juniper, ogx thick and full in the purple bottle, and and the function of beauty Personalized shampoos and conditioners. My hair’s in pretty good shape, according to my stylist, although I use heat tools and color it rose gold. 

@amdg528 I would always sleep with my hair in a ponytail...

@amdg528 I would always sleep with my hair in a ponytail on top of my head (the "pineapple") and tied into a satin scarf... then you're not laying on it at night so it buys you a lot more time, plus you get more volume on day 2/3/4. That lets you be more strategic about use of dry shampoo on temples/part/hairline instead of just always feeling like you need to put it everywhere!

Spoiler
test

So I'm trying to learn to love my hair but I'm having a super hard time! It used to be really easy to get my hair to a state I liked, but now I feel like all it does is fight me. I used to box bleach it myself, dye, and cut it often but now I just don't want to deal with it in the awkward length and faded colors. Should I just go to a professional and have a complete makeover? Should I bleach it again? Cut it all off? I'm at a total loss. Natually curly, 4C hair that's a deep brown, currently dyed pink and blue, flat-ironed mostly straight. Also best maintenance items for such hair??

@GothWife I would dye it back to my natural hair color an...

@GothWife I would dye it back to my natural hair color and not use any heated hair tools for a while. If you must heat style you should roll your hair and either let it air dry or dry under a hairdryer. Try to avoid heat to the hair as much as possible. Wash and deep condition your hair weekly and use treatments before you wash such as Madam CJ Walkers pre treatment sold at Sephora or Nexxus Emergencee Treatment at least every other week. You should see a difference in a month.

Re: @GothWife I would dye it back to my natural hair color an...

Thank you so much! I didn't dye it my natural color, but a deep navy, and have avoided heat styling and I'm already seeing a difference.

Last year I was still learning to deal with frizzy/ wavy...

Last year I was still learning to deal with frizzy/ wavy hair. It was finals week and my mousse wouldn't tame my hair. So I walked into my classes in sweats, sweatshirt and wild hair. Everyone else was so put together and nice looking that day too! I've luckily learned since then that braiding my hair at night helps along with a anti-frizz product in the morning.

Re: Last year I was still learning to deal with frizzy/ wavy...

I just started braiding my hair at night too and use a home made mixture of oil for my hair in  the am. Have you ever tried sleeping in a silk scarf, I hear that works well but yet to try it out. 

I just wanna say I get super annoyed when i’ve been wearing my hair down and it sops up my foundation and the foundation won’t come out of my hair without me actually washing it.  This should be in the beauty pet peeves thread but I figure it’s hair related so why not put it here. 

Hello ladies.  A few questions as I never do anything with my hair color but I’m feeling a bit creative lately. 

1 - has anyone used lime crime unicorn hair and, if so, any tips for applying and how long did it last for you? I have medium brown hair. I am not lightening it first so I know it won’t show as well. 

2 - I cannot have unnatural hair color at work. Where would you suggest doing a little color so you can have fun with it but it also doesn’t show when hair is down?  I was thinking bottom half of one side 

thank you ❤️

2 Replies
testing