Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

I think you're totally fine with lack of hair wash considering it's curly and lovely. The greasiness was a little more apparent at my roots before I sprinkled on some dry shampoo, but I think it's more me being hyper aware of it than anything haha.

Thank you! It's taken me quite a bit of time to grow them out haha. Last time I wore my bangs as actual bangs was last July!

Shout out to Malday for turning me on to the OI hair line. I love the shampoo, conditioner, and the milk. It stinks, but it's wonderful. The stank lingers in my hair for days though lol

Hahaha you're welcome. It does have a very strong herbal smell, which I don't mind, but I can understand how it would be off-putting.

is this the line from davines ? i've heard such good things. a decade ago i had a roommate who used davines stuff and she'd let me use her conditioner and i remember how much i adored it.

It is! Davines OI is my HG line, the price hurts my heart a little though, and it doesn't seem to be available at too many retailers. I think they carry it at a salon my friend works at so I'll probably ask her to pick some up for me rather than order direct.

Their direct website currently has a promo where if you spend $50 you can get a full size of the milk with code OIMILK.

Birchbox also sells it and they usually have discount codes.

It was OOS on Birchbox last I checked but I'll just have to stalk it haha.

I just found this little collage I put together a while ago of my grow-out progress. The last photo is from back in November so it's a good bit longer than this now. But to anyone in the growing out phase - I feel you! (Also, my ends looks a little bit crispy but really just need to be brushed thru. They're *mostly* healthy.)

IMG_0805.JPG

Very healthy and pretty!

@starsandbucks so lovely ! i think your hair looks very healthy too !!!

Not sure if it is an appropriate to post here.  Costco has T3 for $69.99 plus shipping.  I'm tempting to get one to speed up drying my hair before bed.  Do you have one? Is it worth the price?  TIA

I had a T3 for many years and didn't think it was all that great. It over-heated a lot and would just stop working. Eventually it just fried and died. However, this was many years ago so I would suspect quality control to be better now. But I moved on to an Elchim 4 years ago and I LOVE it. I mean, I'd be tempted to trade it in for a free dyson, but other than that I've never had a moment where I've wanted to get rid of it. 

PS I had a T3 straightener that I used almost everyday for over 10 years and it was a champ so T3 does make good product. 

My hair history in spoiler 🙂

Spoiler

I have really thick, coarse hair (which back in high school, my best friend affectionately referred to as horse hair) that goes down to my back. I'm having some trouble with sparseness. I think this is because when I'm at work, at the gym, or feeling warm in general, I twist my hair into a really tight bun or else it slides out of the clip. I really don't like having hair in my face. I also prefer having a deeper side part, and am noticing the sparseness mainly where I part my hair (on both sides).

Does anyone have any product recommendations for hair growth? The sparseness is at the front of my hairline, where I part my hair. (I change this every few months or so.)

@Joannimation

I have thinning hair and started using Pura D'Or Hair Loss shampoo/conditioner in mid-Feb. I'm starting to see a decent amount of new growth (though right now it's all obnoxious short stuff that sticks straight up or out lol). Ulta sells it, and it seems to make pretty regular appearances on Haute Look as well. 

Thanks, @RGbrown! How often do you use it?

@Joannimation

I use it every wash (which is every 2-3 days). 

@RGbrown Do you use the blue or the golden bottle?

@DaintyDiva the blue one 🙂

@RGbrown Thanks! 😄

I've had a weird relationship with hair...

I've always had it long, the shorter was probably chin length and that was in elementary. I felt 'ugly' if I didn't have longish hair.

About six years ago I had to have neurosurgery and I got a significant buzz on the right side of my head. It was from the top of my skull to my ear and further back. It was really interesting seeing myself like that... at first I felt completely hideous and wanted to shave it all off. My parents suggested not to because they know me better and I was already overly emotional because of the surgery/treatment.

Going through that period with having a part of my head bald with a massive scar and a bump was interesting. I remember at first I wanted to hide it... but I went out a couple of times out scar and stapes in full display. Getting a lot of looks of pity and repulsion as to I should I hide my current condition. It was a really excellent learning experience. I really let it bother me but after bit you realize that those ppl are pretty fortunate to be able to act like that, never themselves going through a similar experience.

Now I'm just kind of indifferent to my hair and what effect it has to my sense of worth... my only motto is 'least amount of effort please' LOL

I love getting my hair blown out when it's colored/cut but having the energy to actually do that home is not for me. I have a tendency to buy products and tools that just sit in drawers. 😄

Now I'm kind of going back and forth what I want to do with my hair. I let my blonde hair grow out and just recently got it done by a new stylist. (I had previously gone to the same stylist since 2004!!!) We decided to do a sort of bayalage to it... but I think next session I will have her lighten my base.

I've been wanting to go platinum for a couple of months now... I'm just not sure I'm that committed to maintenance.

Basically I want decent hair without trying to hard. Lucky my texture is wavy so a couple of products in and air dry and it looks some what presentable. Haha.

testing