Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

My strands look so much less stringy now!My strands look so much less stringy now!Hello to all my curly, wavy, spiral, and other textured hair babes! If you're like me, you've been very curious about "DevaCuts" which are dry haircuts meant to help your natural texture flourish. DevaCurl was kind enough to offer me an appointment (pinch me!) while I was in NY and the timing could not have been better - I hadn't cut my hair in 1.5 years. 

I arrived at the SoHo DevaChan salon and was greeted by my stylist, Susan. We went straight into the consultation and she asked all the right questions to ensure I would love my DevaCut. Susan was a wealth of knowledge and you know I took advantage and asked so. many. questions. After she understood my hair goals (shorter! healthier!), Susan got to snipping my hair while it was still dry - something I hadn't done before. This technique ensures my haircut suits my natural curl patterns, which was a big ah-ha! moment for me. It also explains why my previous cuts looked great after salon blowouts but don't translate when I wear my hair naturally. Susan sectioned my hair, cut about five inches, and then I was off to get washed and styled!

Now onto the product and styling process! 
  1. I headed to get my hair washed with DEVACURL - No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser which was massaged into my scalp. The peppermint oil in this formula is mesmerizing and reminded me of a spa!
  2. After we washed that out, we used the DEVACURL - One Condition® Original Daily Cream Conditioner all over (my scalp needs all the moisture!) and washed it out
  3. After that it was time to start styling but we kept my hair wet. I repeat, the styling process started with very wet hair! 
  4. First we used DEVACURL - Heaven In Hair® Divine Deep Conditioner for moisture and then added DEVACURL - STYLING CREAM Touchable Curl Definer to prep and define my curls
  5. We spread the product through my hair while wetting it slightly. This is equivalent to styling in the shower, folks! Maybe I'm a newbie but this was revolutionary for me because I am really good at overdoing it with too much product. PRO TIP: feel your hair before you exit the shower - your strands  should feel like a wet noodle that's a little slippery! 
  6. Next I flipped by hair over so it was being styled upside down - I had a towel on my lap and shows to catch the falling water and we used the towel to gently absorb some of the water. Not quite a scrunch with the towel, but almost 🙂 
  7. Still upside down, Susan added a large amount of DEVACURL - ULTRA DEFINING GEL Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler and coated the front and back of my hair while, then gently distributed the remaining gel into my hair
  8. Time to sit right side up! I slowly came up and Susan parted my hair they way I wanted it to dry
  9. Next, she added metal clips to my roots to ensure my hair dried as efficiently as possible and to give my roots some volume 
  10. Finally I sat under the dryer on low heat to get an air dry effect - Susan recommended I let my hair air dry as much as possible since my hair is dry and it will curl better the moisture it can retain
Flip massage scrunch.png

Once my hair was dry, Susan removed the metal clips and immediately told me not to freak out because my hair looked wet. She must have been able to read minds because I was freaking out a little bit.. There have been many mornings where I have globbed on too much gel and been left with crunchy curls so I usually avoid gel entirely! No wet-looking, crunchy mess here because Susan carefully broke up my curls by massaging my hair from the root for volume and then lightly scrunching my curls to break the cast of gel - upside down of course!  Once she was done I was SHOCKED at the results. My hair had never been so curly in my adult life - I had ringlets I hadn't seen since elementary school!

They also left me with a few tips that I think anyone with texture should consider: 
  • No small bristle brushes, brushing with your fingers is best
  • Style your hair while it's still wet... Upside down! 
  • Leave some moisturizing product in and think "wet noodle" when leaving in conditioner
  • Be careful when picking your towel if you let it touch your hair - opt for a microfiber option like the DEVACURL - DEVATOWEL™ Anti-Frizz Microfiber Towel
  • Expedite dry time by adding metal clips to your roots
  • Use all the gel! Your hair should look wet once it's dry and you can easily break it up - the ultra-defining gel is a game-changing formula but you need to know how to use it properly
  • After drying, ideally without any heat, break that ultra-defining gel up carefully to avoid wet-looking curls
  • If your hair gets flat during the day just flip your hair and massage your roots for some added volume
  • If you like to refresh your curls with water or find yourself frizzing out midd-day you need DEVACURL - DevaFresh Scalp & Curl Revitalizer - this is world better than wetting my hair in the bathroom or spraying it down with a spray bottle of water! They gifted me travel-friendly minis of all of the products used on me and included this as a bonus. It was full-sized and I consolidated this magical potion into two smaller bottles so I could bring it home with me ❤️

If you are not yet the master of your natural texture you may just need to visit a DevaChan the next time you're in NY or to seek out a DevaCut-certified stylist. They can help you discover the right product and cut for your hair type and texture. This was a game-changing experience and I feel so much more empowered and knowledgeable while styling my hair - I cannot thank @devacurl enough for this life and hair-changing experience! 

DevaCurl Cut Before and After.png

Have any other Community members visited a DevaChan salon or scheduled a DevaCut? I would love to hear about your experience and learn which products you're loving!

Re: My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

@KatieBT Your hair looks gorgeous 

Thank you so much @SportyGirly125 🙂

@KatieBT Looks so beautiful!!

Thank so much @Samtian !

@KatieBT  Wow, your hair looks amazing hon.

Thank you @Anastasiya13 - it feels amazing too after cutting some of those dead ends off 😄

@KatieBT  I bet. I love how my hair feels after cutting the dead ends.

AHHH! Katie, your hair looks so fabulous. DevaCuts are so awesome. ❤️

Thank you so much @marydiva - have you gotten a DevaCut before?

Yes!! So many times. I will say - I just got my first non-Deva cut in years (although the stylist was trained in a curly hair salon for years), and it's my best haircut of all time. The DevaCut was amazing, but what this new stylist did is MAGICAL. (I'm on day three of not washing my hair right now, and I have never been able to do that before!!). 

@KatieBT Your hair looks great! Thanks for the in-depth review! I haven't had a devacut but I've been using the DEVACURL - Low-Poo Delight Weightless Waves Mild Lather Cleanser and the DEVACURL - One Condition Delight Weightless Waves Conditioner for a couple of years, along with the DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM™ Coconut Curl Styler. I have medium thick wavy hair, which is pretty short right now (for me) but I consistently used it when my hair was waist-length as well. My one issue has been that when I had long hair, the One Condition Delight did not feel moisturizing enough, and I even tried the DEVACURL - One Condition® Original Daily Cream Conditionerand the DEVACURL - One Condition® Decadence Ultra Moisturizing Milk Conditioner and even then it didn't give me that deep feeling of moisturization that I was looking for. I didn't like the feeling of leaving a little bit of product in either. I love their DEVACURL - Melt into Moisture Matcha Butter Conditioning Mask and DEVACURL - Deep Sea Repair Seaweed Strengthening Mask as well as DEVACURL - SET IT FREE® Moisture Lock Finishing Spray. I didn't like the DEVACURL - Wash Day Wonder™ Pre-Cleanse Slip Detangler (but my friend LOVES it) or the DEVACURL - MIST-ER RIGHT® Dream Curl Refresher. I recently got the DEVACURL - Leave-In Decadence™ Ultra Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner and really want to try the DEVACURL - WAVE MAKER™ Touchable Texture Whip, hopefully those work out!

Hi there love, it sounds like you need something a little more moisturizing than our One Conditions but something you can keep in your hair in needed, luckily for you  DEVACURL - Heaven In Hair® Divine Deep Conditioner  provides just that! 

It's a step up from One Condition and it is perfect when you need a little extra moisture boost, so definitely give it a try! 

@makeitup305 wow you’re a DevaExpert!! Have you tried leaving in just a bit of the deep conditioner and then adding in a styling product? I can see how it may not feel great to leave conditioner sitting on your hair alone - especially if there’s a lot in your hair. I was so hesitant about this step (“you’re leaving the conditioner in?!?”) but Susan told me that adding the DEVACURL - ULTRA DEFINING GEL Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler ensured the moisturizing product would be locked in and then you’re coating the curls with that gel. Even after you break up the gel it doesn’t feel gross or heavy which is such a big pet peeve of mine on my fine hair. The key is to play around and figure out how much to leave in - I do end up washing most of the conditioner out. 

The touchable texture whip sounds divine, I need to add that to my list!! 

This is great information! 

@KatieBT I always forget to leave some conditioner in. I need to remind myself next time. I actually had a sample of the Ultra Defining Gel but just passed it on! Maybe next time 😛

Please don’t give up trying Wash Day Wonder @makeitup305. The first time that I tried it I was not happy with the results. I then scrunched it on a tangled section of my hair and waited a moment then it detangled it effortlessly. Once I started using this method, it became life changing for me. 

DEVACURL - Wash Day Wonder™ Pre-Cleanse Slip Detangler

@Loretta55 I tried it all kinds of ways and just didn't see any helpfulness, even after leaving it in a bit. It just didn’t feel any better. I ended up passing it on to a friend and she loves it so maybe next time I get a sample I'll give it another shot.

@Loretta55 sounds like I need to look into this detangler. What are the biggest game-changers you’ve tried from DevaCurl? I know you’re a a pro so would love to hear about your faves. 

The first product that truly made a difference in my curls was Wave Maker @KatieBT . I was already getting DevaCuts for 3 years at that point but this one product really helped to define my curls/waves pattern. At that point there were not as many options as there are currently but I felt that if I kept up with using the DevaCurl products I would see results.

The other product that truly made a difference is Wash Day Wonder. Prior to using this my shower looked like I left enough hair behind to literally look like I could have made a wig. I still do lose a lot of hair but this product definitely decreased the amount of hair left behind.

Please get DevaCurl to come to BIC for a question and answer session @KatieBT. I have a few questions that I would like to get answered. My main question is that now that the weather is getting cooler it is not the safest to let my hair air dry. How would they recommend that I dry my thick hair safely and quickly? I did purchase their blow dryer about 5 years ago and I was not happy with the results. After 20 minutes using the lowest setting using the diffuser, my hair was still wet. My husband who has thin hair took that dryer off my hands.

Our DEVACURL - DEVATOWEL™ Anti-Frizz Microfiber Towel would be a big help in getting that excess water out! 

If you'd like to try diffusing with our dryer again it's best to use it on the lowest heat setting and on the lowest speed setting so it doesn't cause unwanted frizz, we wish it could be faster, but alas, diffusing for a long time is a process that almost every curly person knows to well! Here's a tip: apply the DEVACURL - FLEXIBLE HOLD HAIRSPRAY Touchable Finishing Styler to your curls before diffusing to help speed up the drying process, it's a little trick that stylists use in our salons sometimes 🙂 

Thank you very much for the advice @devacurl. I am not sure when to use the DevaCurl DevaTowel. Should I use after I apply all stylers and Ultra Styling Gel or use it to remove some of the excess moisture before hand?

Also could you please explain the difference between Heaven in Hair and Melt Into Moisture. I use Melt Into Moisture once a month as a deep conditioning treatment.

65 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • My strands look so much less stringy now!
  • DevaCurl Cut Before and After.png
  • Flip massage scrunch.png
  • 37C193EF-5B95-4161-85B8-FFA8F0DD7FF0.JPG
  • IMG_4708.jpg
testing