Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

My strands look so much less stringy now!My strands look so much less stringy now!Hello to all my curly, wavy, spiral, and other textured hair babes! If you're like me, you've been very curious about "DevaCuts" which are dry haircuts meant to help your natural texture flourish. DevaCurl was kind enough to offer me an appointment (pinch me!) while I was in NY and the timing could not have been better - I hadn't cut my hair in 1.5 years. 

I arrived at the SoHo DevaChan salon and was greeted by my stylist, Susan. We went straight into the consultation and she asked all the right questions to ensure I would love my DevaCut. Susan was a wealth of knowledge and you know I took advantage and asked so. many. questions. After she understood my hair goals (shorter! healthier!), Susan got to snipping my hair while it was still dry - something I hadn't done before. This technique ensures my haircut suits my natural curl patterns, which was a big ah-ha! moment for me. It also explains why my previous cuts looked great after salon blowouts but don't translate when I wear my hair naturally. Susan sectioned my hair, cut about five inches, and then I was off to get washed and styled!

Now onto the product and styling process! 
  1. I headed to get my hair washed with DEVACURL - No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser which was massaged into my scalp. The peppermint oil in this formula is mesmerizing and reminded me of a spa!
  2. After we washed that out, we used the DEVACURL - One Condition® Original Daily Cream Conditioner all over (my scalp needs all the moisture!) and washed it out
  3. After that it was time to start styling but we kept my hair wet. I repeat, the styling process started with very wet hair! 
  4. First we used DEVACURL - Heaven In Hair® Divine Deep Conditioner for moisture and then added DEVACURL - STYLING CREAM Touchable Curl Definer to prep and define my curls
  5. We spread the product through my hair while wetting it slightly. This is equivalent to styling in the shower, folks! Maybe I'm a newbie but this was revolutionary for me because I am really good at overdoing it with too much product. PRO TIP: feel your hair before you exit the shower - your strands  should feel like a wet noodle that's a little slippery! 
  6. Next I flipped by hair over so it was being styled upside down - I had a towel on my lap and shows to catch the falling water and we used the towel to gently absorb some of the water. Not quite a scrunch with the towel, but almost 🙂 
  7. Still upside down, Susan added a large amount of DEVACURL - ULTRA DEFINING GEL Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler and coated the front and back of my hair while, then gently distributed the remaining gel into my hair
  8. Time to sit right side up! I slowly came up and Susan parted my hair they way I wanted it to dry
  9. Next, she added metal clips to my roots to ensure my hair dried as efficiently as possible and to give my roots some volume 
  10. Finally I sat under the dryer on low heat to get an air dry effect - Susan recommended I let my hair air dry as much as possible since my hair is dry and it will curl better the moisture it can retain
Flip massage scrunch.png

Once my hair was dry, Susan removed the metal clips and immediately told me not to freak out because my hair looked wet. She must have been able to read minds because I was freaking out a little bit.. There have been many mornings where I have globbed on too much gel and been left with crunchy curls so I usually avoid gel entirely! No wet-looking, crunchy mess here because Susan carefully broke up my curls by massaging my hair from the root for volume and then lightly scrunching my curls to break the cast of gel - upside down of course!  Once she was done I was SHOCKED at the results. My hair had never been so curly in my adult life - I had ringlets I hadn't seen since elementary school!

They also left me with a few tips that I think anyone with texture should consider: 
  • No small bristle brushes, brushing with your fingers is best
  • Style your hair while it's still wet... Upside down! 
  • Leave some moisturizing product in and think "wet noodle" when leaving in conditioner
  • Be careful when picking your towel if you let it touch your hair - opt for a microfiber option like the DEVACURL - DEVATOWEL™ Anti-Frizz Microfiber Towel
  • Expedite dry time by adding metal clips to your roots
  • Use all the gel! Your hair should look wet once it's dry and you can easily break it up - the ultra-defining gel is a game-changing formula but you need to know how to use it properly
  • After drying, ideally without any heat, break that ultra-defining gel up carefully to avoid wet-looking curls
  • If your hair gets flat during the day just flip your hair and massage your roots for some added volume
  • If you like to refresh your curls with water or find yourself frizzing out midd-day you need DEVACURL - DevaFresh Scalp & Curl Revitalizer - this is world better than wetting my hair in the bathroom or spraying it down with a spray bottle of water! They gifted me travel-friendly minis of all of the products used on me and included this as a bonus. It was full-sized and I consolidated this magical potion into two smaller bottles so I could bring it home with me ❤️

If you are not yet the master of your natural texture you may just need to visit a DevaChan the next time you're in NY or to seek out a DevaCut-certified stylist. They can help you discover the right product and cut for your hair type and texture. This was a game-changing experience and I feel so much more empowered and knowledgeable while styling my hair - I cannot thank @devacurl enough for this life and hair-changing experience! 

DevaCurl Cut Before and After.png

Have any other Community members visited a DevaChan salon or scheduled a DevaCut? I would love to hear about your experience and learn which products you're loving!

Re: My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

@KatieBT Your hair look amazing and Deva Cut sounds like such a great technique. I need to look up if I can find DevaCut certified stylist somewhere in my area.

@KatieBT Your hair looks GORGEOUS! I'm so happy that you had a great experience. 

@devacurl I'd love some advice, because I have yet to find a combination of products that provide consistent results. A mixture of 2a/b, low porosity, thick but fine, oily roots but dry ends. It feels "gunky" very easily, and I haven't been able to pinpoint what ingredients to prioritize/avoid. I'm very much a wash-and-wear kind of girl, so I'm looking for the most streamlined routine possible. Thank you!37C193EF-5B95-4161-85B8-FFA8F0DD7FF0.JPGIMG_4708.jpg

We recommend Delight Low-Poo and One Condition. To style, try out Wave Maker and Ultra Defining Gel for lightweight moisture and body and hold 💚

Looks great @KatieBT ! Welcome to the dark side, though! You will now be able to identify other folks who do Deva and have an instant connection with them. It's like having a secret handshake. I've met more people by chatting about our curls and Deva products. Hahaha! And you will never look at hair products the same way again. Be gone silicones! And if you veer from getting a Deva cut, you will feel like you're committing hair adultery. 🙂

But anyway, I'm glad you're loving it. Your curls are definitely poppin'. Enjoy!

Let us know if any of you curlfriends have questions for us! We love chatting with everyone!

Hi @devacurl ! I was wondering if you could give us a little more info on DEVACURL - B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumper. It seems to be one of the most misunderstood products in the Deva lineup. I have a lot of fine curly hair and try to use it after DEVACURL - Heaven In Hair® Divine Deep Conditioner (rinsed out thoroughly) and before DEVACURL - ULTRA DEFINING GEL Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler. Sequencing correctly?

DEVACURL - B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumperis a great curl plumper and super lightweight gelée and a GREAT cocktailing product!

It sounds like you have a good application process going on but if you want to play around with it try mixing it in with your gel or even DEVACURL - Heaven In Hair® Divine Deep Conditioner, you may like the results 💚

Thank you for all of your help @devacurl.

Paging @jozkid! Not sure if you have any questions for @devacurl .

Thanks @Loretta55 ! I appreciate the tag!

Also paging @ShortErica  & @tastelikewater .

@devacurl what is the best way to refresh waves when you go a few days between washes? Do you have recommendations for dryer scalps?

This is a great question! Our newest product DEVACURL - DevaFresh Scalp & Curl Revitalizer is perfect for this! It is formulated to to refresh hair between wash days, provide moisture and definition, and has 24 hour odor technology 💚

Absolutely in love! 

RE: My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

Looking gorgeous Katie

Re: RE: My DevaCurl Haircut Transformation

Thank you so much @Sarav27 🙂 

Hi @KatieBT,

What an amazing cut! Your hair is so pretty! #hairgoals

Best,
Rebecca

Aw thank you so much @RebeccaBT ❤️ 

@KatieBT  your hair looks amazing, Susan totally helped to bring your beautful curls back to life! I have been wavering on getting a devacurl cut, and you're selling me!

@bakeamuffin thank you so much! I can’t recommend this service enough - there’s so much to learn about every persons own hair texture and how to best take care of it. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • My strands look so much less stringy now!
  • DevaCurl Cut Before and After.png
  • Flip massage scrunch.png
  • 37C193EF-5B95-4161-85B8-FFA8F0DD7FF0.JPG
  • IMG_4708.jpg
testing