Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

I need some product recommendations! I started using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day products (shampoo & conditioner and occasionally dry shampoo and styling creme). I *loved* them and the way they made my hair feel, but after a few months, my hair started falling out like crazy! It took a while to consider that it was my hair products, but I did talk to my doctor about it and he ruled out any medical causes. I started using some of the no frizz / repair / curl formulas on my three year old daughter, and she started having the same issue - so I switched shampoos around (for both of us) a few times and noticed a dramatic difference, so I have now completely stopped using the Living Proof.

That said, right now I am using Herbal Essences Volumnizing shampoo + conditioner, and am still having issues with hair loss. It's been a few months since I stopped the Living Proof, and the loss isn't as bad, but I'm definitely losing more hair than I should be. I suspect they may have an ingredient in common that I am allergic to, so I am looking for something else - anything else - that 1) will not cause my hair to fall out in clumps, and 2) help repair the damage that has already been done. Fortunately, my hair is pretty thick and I don't think I look like I'm balding, but obviously I don't want it to go any further.

So, basically, I am looking for a shampoo + conditioner for myself that will keep my hair clean for several days (I try to wash only every third day at most) and volumnize + thicken, AND I am looking for a shampoo + conditioner + treatment for my three year old, who has extremely curly, frizzy, dry hair that ties in knots like it's nobody's business. I've tried different oils on her hair, and it helps some, but it still gets all tied up and it's a nightmare to brush it out (I use a detangling comb, start from the bottom, add moisture first, etc.). Any advice or product recommendations would be appreciated!

Re: MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

Listen, I’m in the same boat. I honestly thought it was due to stress from a new job in a new state (different climate) but now that I see this I’m realizing it’s Living Proof. I have very thin - and not too much of it to begin with - blonde hair. It’s falling out in CLUMPS to the point where I’m getting really nervous. It’s also become extremely dry and and unruly. I’m pretty much afraid to brush it or even run my fingers through it. Is there a lawsuit happening? Because this is insane! I’ve used it for a month, this past week I switched over to Nexxus and it’s still falling out albeit not to the degree it was before. Something needs to be done. Please help.

I have the same hair type. I also am loosing way too much hair!  Afraid to brush it or wash it. This is awful!

It’s so odd, I was just searching for similar experiences myself! I have natural, virgin hair (yes really! I had a bit of a COVID-lockdown breakdown and took clippers to my head YIKES - hence my now almost 1.5 years later shoulder length hair is all virgin hair) 

anywho, my previously SHINY and soft and strong hair went to heck in hand basket not even 4 washes with the PHD shampoo and conditioner. 

I’m going back to Pureology. 

i love my hair it is so nice and Smoove I don’t like it if when it so hard and so sticky

OMG, I couldn't even finish reading all the comments, as I felt the urge to join in and share my experience! I have been experiencing sudden and severe hair loss and hair drying like never before and without apparent reason. My hair has been burnt, almost turning like straw type of hair. It has been becoming dull, lifeless. I am usually very gentle with my hair, do not even blow dry it or add any kind of hair product, only shampoo and hair conditioner and after shampooing, only 100% natural argan oil. Since the day I started adding Living (killing?) Proof Leave-In Conditioner, after about 4 weeks of doing so (application only after each shampoo), my hair started falling off and the hair texture changing as I described above. I never connected the both things together (Living Proof and hair fall) as the product had been recommended by my hair stylist from a very expensive and reputable hair saloon but after practically having my long hair cut short because I felt I needed to do something to save my hair, nothing changed and has been keeping on falling and mutating to straw like hair. Honestly, after reading what others are saying here, my opinion is that the company maker of this product should be punished for nearly destroying so many people's lives. Hair, especially on a woman, is such an important part of her, getting it damaged and even causing a degree of baldness in a female scalp is no joke, it affects her personal life and career, her finances to repair the problem, even her relationships besides her self-esteem. I say a big thanks to God that something just popped up in my mind while trying to find a solution to my problem that I ended up google-in up "Living Proof product and hair loss" and was able to find this thread. I wish you all the best of luck, I feel for all of you, I know how it feels to keep losing massive amount of hair and seeing the hair changing to a horrible look without any reason. I have faith that we all will be able to get our hair back hopefully, now that we know what is causing it. Cheers to all.

I feel you on this problem! That said, I am not sure it’s the product but I can see where after a process of illumination you may think so. I went through the same thing and I used this same product then and now, and the hair loss has stopped.

I don’t know if you have had Covid, but if so, hair loss is a very common side effect. That could be one reason. Also, my hairdresser told me that if you are not shampooing and conditioning and going through your full hair routine until every third day you will lose a bit more hair than you would if you were having a daily routine.  I have thin hair and was super alarmed when this happened. I promptly changed my shampoo and conditioner. I would recommend Ketastase’s newer shampoo and conditioner combo that is designed to reduce hair fall out. It’s a bit pricey, but worth it in this case. I would use that on both yourself and your daughter if she has hair loss as well.

The other solution is to take hair and nail vitamins (biotin) and get a bottle of minoxidil. 

I also think sometimes our hair goes through a “season“ of hair loss and shedding. Either way, it’s alarming and I feel for you, but giving it’s nothing medical, it will definitely pass. Just change up your hair care routine i.e. products, take a good vitamin,  and you’ll be fine.

Also One last thing, take a good look at your brush. If it has rubber tips that are falling off that could be a huge contributing problem as the tips could be ripping out your hair.  So pay special attention to that as well. 

good luck to you! #Kerastase #vitamins

I had this same issue. I got a tiny version in December and loved it. I ran out and decided to splurge on one of their very large bottles. My hair is usually very full and thick and it started falling out so much that every week I would have a ton of hair in my drain. The back of my head would feel very irritated after showers as well. I stopped using it and started using Maui because I felt maybe it was something to do with chemicals. I never finished the giant bottles of it. But I read this happening to so many people. My hair isn't as thick as it was before that but my head feels better since not using it anymore. 

Anonymous Insider

oh my gosh thank goodness I came across this thread! I am currently experiencing this, and I feel extremely ugly and sad😢 With Covid going on, I knew stress was related; I must admit though I’m not that stressed, so I knew it wasn’t the main cause! Now I will be looking into better hair care products, and I will also warn others not to use these products!

Oh my gosh - me too! I was using Diva and quit because i was noticing hair loss. Then I switched to Living Proof and it has been falling out like crazy !!!! I have never had a problem like this before. My doctor said it was probably female pattern baldness but he never even saw me so don’t know how he could come to that conclusion. Going for blood work this week. I feel depressed and ugly!

I had the same experience! Was using Deva but the poo and conditioner irritated my scalp. I had used Living Proof in the past and thought it was great. My hair was shed like crazy! Like clumps of hair when I shampooed and I am very gentle! My scalp broke out in bumps and now the top of my head looks like crap. My hairdresser told me luckily it seems to be growing back but yeah, it looks like complete crap.  I am terrified to use anything now. Grrr It makes me so

mad. 

I can relate.  I have lost clumps of hair at certain times in my life. Especially when I started a medication and when (ahem) menopause began early. I have thick, color treated and hard to style hair. I have started washing less. The Amika Dry shampoo works well for me. And I keep trying hair products from the Cruelty-Free list.  Best wishes and Happy, Healthy Holidays,

Jen 

I can't really help with your main concern, but if the product has left noticable bald spots and visibly thin hair, they have this hair powder fibers stuff at Ulta. My mom lost 75% off of her hair temporarily due to a hospitalization and that stuff really helped disguise until her new healthy hair grew in.

RE: MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

@fashionnerd13 @greytthings About 10 years ago, I emailed Sephora with my concerns abouttheLivingProof brand recommending that they pull the brand shortly after it first launched at Sephora. Back then, I was like a sheep and never complainedabout anything ever nor did I post or blog online being wrapped up in my demanding career. The fact that a quiet uninvolved person like me felt compelled to reach out to Sephora corporate with my FIRST and ONLY product complaint (I am a 20 year customer) TO DATE saysa lot. I remember I was so excited to try a new brand carried bySephora. I bought their daily shampoo from Sephora (I believe it was the perfect day daily - I remember it was for daily use but clarified also)afterreading initial glowing reviews on Sephora and how could you resist when it was fronted by Jennifer Aniston known for her iconic Rachel perfect hair. The first couple uses, my hair felt so clean like not an ounce of dirt or oil and free. About the 3rd or 4th use was when I noticed my hair (which is normally thicklustrous and oily) turned into dry stiff straw. Ok no biggie the shampoo doesn’t work for me BUT then for the first time EVER in myENTIRE life, within short time of stopping living proof, I had the worst scalp problem and sensitivities in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE that took yearsof expensive treatment and excruciatinglycurated products to calm down. This is someone who once had the toughest hair and scalp that formerly could handle any abrasive drugstore shampoo. I think possibly something in Living Proof triggered anallergic idiosyncratic autoimmune reaction in my scalp. My scalp’s never been the same since. People have been raving about living proof forever and since my horrible reaction whichI’ve never had to any other hair product EVER after it first hit market, the line went on to expand into the whole world so now everyone carriesit. Maybe they’ve changed theformulation. Maybe it was just and unluckycoincidence in time point thatwas due to high stress and hormones in my life. I myself am convinced it destroyed my scalp but I have no proof especially when the whole world adores the brand so why me? To this day since the time of the incident, I refuse to buy or use anything from Living Proof. I use only the most carefully curated shampoos with pureringredients and hair vitamins for my ultra sensitive scalp NOT by choiceunfortunately. Also I want toPRAISE BRIOGEO for making some of the best products on the market. Their charcoal scalp revival rescues my scalp. They make some of the BEST conditioners out there with cleaner ingredients. Their new hair vitamin supplement B Well Vegan Omega is stellar. A standout. Has the Sephora clean stamp too (I know there’s differing opinions of what’s considered clean or not but hey, more filters in ingredients lists is better than no filter at all). I am willing to swear by it.

Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

I just experienced massive hair loss and damage after about two months of using Living Proof anti frizz shampoo and conditioner. In the beginning, it made my hair feel the softest and cleanest it's ever felt. I loved how it washed my hair effortlessly and rinsed out so easily, cutting down my time in the shower. It would comb out nicely and be easy to blow dry and silky smooth. Then all of a sudden my hair is getting thinner and thinner. I didn't notice more hair in the drain or on my pillow, so I don't know where any of it went. I also didn't think it was from this shampoo until I started reading. Out of about 26 ingredients, the Methylisotriazolinone is the 18th listed, so fairly high in concrentration. I checked my bottle of Nexxus which I alternate with, and out of 30 ingredients it is number 30. So Living Proof clearly uses more of the MI and that's likely what causes peoples' hair to fall out, in my opinion. I'm just hoping it recovers. I wrote the company but no response yet. I got some Olaplex products and charcoal exfoliator from Briogeo. 

my sister actually contacted Living Proof company - as Sephora wouldn’t do a thing about it - and they will send her a box so she can send back the products and investigate. Someone should call her back in a few weeks. I think they realized we won’t stop just there.

she’s a Sephora VIP member who now won’t ever buy anything at Sephora again, I can’t believe Sephora customer service didn’t realize this when she asked for a refund even after the 30 days mark...

@greytthings After about a decade of avoiding any and all Living Proof products (I believe the product that gave me a problem was the “Perfect Day” shampoo), I went back and looked at the CURRENT ingredient list. @mwg1 was definitely into something. HORRORS. This has got to be one of the worst lists I’ve seen among products today. Chemistry is among subjects that I have extensive knowledge of. I didn’t need to go to the EWG ratings to know already it’s chock full of questionable chemicals.  EWG is ultra conservative and not without controversy for the validity of its claims but there is some truth to what they’re preaching. Why else is there a known link between chemicals in processed foods and cancer?  I’m really surprised they have not improved their formulation. High on the list is octafluoropentyl methocrylate which is touted as their star proprietary ingredient and is rated a 4 which to me is not a low enough rating for risk of cancer, developmental, and reproductive toxicity and immunogenicity (not to my liking but hey this is just my opinion). Ditto methylchloroisothiazolinone.  You’d think a bunch of MIT inventors would pick a better ingredient list but it’s packed full of less than desirable ones plus fragrance and who knows what else is not listed.  Maybe it was some contest they were having where hey let’s shove in as many complicated chemicals so we can to show off how smart we are. The more hard to pronounce chemicals and preservatives the better. I have never made a beauty product complaint on anything else EVER because 1) my skin and hair were very resilient at the age I was at 2) if I ever had a reaction to anything like mild to moderate stinging or irritation (nothing really intense ever happened until this incident with living proof), I simply stopped usage and symptoms quickly stopped and were easily reversible.  I did not experience hair loss with living proof because I quickly stopped usage after 3-4x only when my soft hair became crunchy brittle absolutely dried up like someone sprayed the strongest hairspray throughout my hair. However I experience a serious irreversible issue with my scalp shortly afterwards. In my whole life, it is the only product that I have ever suspected could be a factor in irreversible lasting damage. Something I never thought would be possible with such short usage and being TOPICAL and RINSED OUT. Maybe it was the perfect storm where my immune system was down from the being under high chronic stress at the time so I had an irreversible immunogenic reaction develop when exposed to an ALLERGEN which would not have happened had I been healthier despite being relatively still considered young at the time. Of course it is next to impossible for an ingredient list to be 100% clean so preservatives of some form are important but a product can be ELEGANTLY formulated to find the best balance between clean and minimizing risks of preservative (s) used considering some chemicals build up in our bodies over time with chronic cumulative exposure. Let’s not forget there are also natural preservatives available sometimes especially for foods. Natural isn’t always safe either especially with supplements but that’s for another topic.  No matter, I refuse to go near any living proof products ever!!!! For anyone with scalp issues, Briogeo charcoal drops or IGK charcoal dry shampoo are my saviors on bad days.  Again I adore Briogeo B Well vegan hair vitamin which has improved my hair.  Nothing beats a healthy balanced diet but I will swear by the Briogeo vitamins making a positive difference. Or Moon Juice.

Anonymous Insider

This is so scary!! I just purchased the Living Proof Thickening Cream mini and I loved how much volume it gave me, but now I'm kind of afraid to use it!! I didn't see any reviews saying it made their hair fall out so I'm hoping for the best. And so sorry this is happening to people, how terrible!! I hope it grows back soon!

Forgot to say hugs as I know it's freaky for a woman..like I think men are prepared.

@fashionnerd13 My husband is using the Ordinary hair serum to prevent hairloss. You rub it into the scalp. It's well priced and you can check out the reviews. I lost a bunch of hair after I switched to a vegan diet and wasn't taking proper supplements. To help reduce hair loss I also stopped colouring my hair. I know cutting your hair to shoulder length can help too. I would follow suggestions in other posts regarding trying supplements and ingredients to avoid.
28 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing