Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

I need some product recommendations! I started using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day products (shampoo & conditioner and occasionally dry shampoo and styling creme). I *loved* them and the way they made my hair feel, but after a few months, my hair started falling out like crazy! It took a while to consider that it was my hair products, but I did talk to my doctor about it and he ruled out any medical causes. I started using some of the no frizz / repair / curl formulas on my three year old daughter, and she started having the same issue - so I switched shampoos around (for both of us) a few times and noticed a dramatic difference, so I have now completely stopped using the Living Proof.

That said, right now I am using Herbal Essences Volumnizing shampoo + conditioner, and am still having issues with hair loss. It's been a few months since I stopped the Living Proof, and the loss isn't as bad, but I'm definitely losing more hair than I should be. I suspect they may have an ingredient in common that I am allergic to, so I am looking for something else - anything else - that 1) will not cause my hair to fall out in clumps, and 2) help repair the damage that has already been done. Fortunately, my hair is pretty thick and I don't think I look like I'm balding, but obviously I don't want it to go any further.

So, basically, I am looking for a shampoo + conditioner for myself that will keep my hair clean for several days (I try to wash only every third day at most) and volumnize + thicken, AND I am looking for a shampoo + conditioner + treatment for my three year old, who has extremely curly, frizzy, dry hair that ties in knots like it's nobody's business. I've tried different oils on her hair, and it helps some, but it still gets all tied up and it's a nightmare to brush it out (I use a detangling comb, start from the bottom, add moisture first, etc.). Any advice or product recommendations would be appreciated!

Anonymous Insider

RE: MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

I would recommend staying away from any products that do not 1. Have the first ingredient as water and any product with sulfates. I would not know what to suggest for the hair loss but as a woman who has curly and occasionally dry and frizzy hair, I use Shea moisture to rebuild my hair and it worked pretty well. They also have a kids selection for your daughter.
Anonymous Insider

Re: MAJOR hair loss after using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day

I had frizzy, knotty hair as a kid and Aussie totally helped.  My mom's friend recommended their 3 minute miracle for me and I remember it totally turning things around; maybe it would help your daughter?

Omg!! You have made me feel awesome with this post! I travel a lot for work and was using Living Proof products and the SAME thing happened to me!!! I freaked out!! I stopped using those products, did the SugarBear hair vitamins, used the Alterna Caviar Clinical weekly boost religiously. After about 9 months, my hair finally got back to normal!! So crazy. I'm now addicted to DryBar Texas Tea shampoo and conditioner.

I had a similar issue with living proof but I don't know that I was allergic to anything. The ingredients just weighed down my hair a lot because its chalk full of silicones. I switched to John Masters shampoos and have been in love. My hair is clean and thick and the shedding has decreased dramatically. 

Have you ever tried the Bumble and bumble curl products for your daughter? I have been a devotee for almost ten years. And they reformulated recently and I still use the curl creme and the new primer which definitely helps smooth the frizz. The curl creme is unlike anything I've ever tried which is why I keep coming back to it. You might have to play a bit with the amount of curl cream to use. Once you put it in try to not to touch it much [and if possible have your daughter not touch it] until it drys. You should get sealed curls once you figure it out.

I recently stopped using Living Proof after I noticed my hairline changing and doing some research. I found a lot of information online (including posts here!) that said an ingredient called Methylchloroisothiazolinone can cause issues in people who are allergic to it. I've started using Rahua shampoo and conditioner, but it's pricey.

2 1/2 years later I can’t believe they still sell this stuff, my sister and brother in laws started loosing their hair and researched the cause and fou d out that their beloved shampoo might seriously be the cause. OMG !!!

Wow, a few months ago a friend gave me a sample of Living Proof Perfect Hair Day dry shampoo from Sephora. I loved it and bought more. Suddenly I've noticed my hair thinning at lightning speed. The only thing that's changed in my routine is using this product regularly. Looked it up today and found this string of comments. Thank you for speaking out about this!

28 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing