Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Looking for Fragrance Free Heat Protectant

Hey all, can anyone suggest a good fragrance free heat protectant? I also have thick hair.

Re: Looking for Fragrance Free Heat Protectant

So I'm also in the process of looking for a fragrance free heat protectant, because the nape of my neck is prone to eczema breakouts triggered by any form of fragrance (be it in shampoo, conditioner, heat protectant, etc.). From my extensive personal research, these are the ingredients to look out for in a heat protectant because they protect your hair from heat:

Acrylamide copolymer

Argan oil (smoke point 420 F)

Avocado oil (smoke point 520 F)

Cetearyl methicone

Cetyl Dimethicone

Cyclomethicone

Dimethicone

Dimethiconol

Grapeseed oil (smoke point 420 F)

Hydrolyzed wheat protein

Hydroxypropyl polysiloxane

Polyquaternium 11

PVP/DMAPA acrylates copolymer

Quaternium 70

Shea butter

Silicones

Stearyl dimethicone

*The specific oils I listed all have higher smoke points in comparison to most oils. But if your hair tool is hotter than the smoke point, it will not protect your hair. 

Also, look out for denatured alcohol, because it's common for a lot of hair products to contain high amounts of denatured alcohol, and this will only dry out your hair. Example, the heat protectant spray by No Nothing is in fragrance free, however it's highly concentrated in denat. alcohol, so for that reason I would personally cancel this product for my dry, damaged hair. 

So far the only products that I've come across that are fragrance free use shea butter as its main heat protectant property:

SEEN Curly Creme, Fragrance Free ($27)

Cristophe Robin Anti-Frizz Rescue Milk with Shea Butter ($35)

Shea butter works as a heat protectant by coating and protecting the hair, similar to silicones. I am still in the process of researching heat protectants but of the two products, I would pick SEEN because the shea butter concentration is higher, and it's cheaper. Hope this helps! 🙂

Edit: just found a detangler/leave in conditioner/heat protectant by FragFree for $12.95. Very minimal ingredients, no fragrance. Will be purchasing this and trying out! 

No Nothing.

That’s the name of the brand! They carry only fragrance free products and I do use the heat protection and it works well 🙂 

The price is reasonable (less than $20). 

You will love it 🙂

@Hridi12 

Sorry, I don’t know of any that are FF Generally consumers enjoy a pleasant smelling hair product. 

That's a very hurtful and exclusionary comment. Many people prefer, or need, fragrance-free products.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing