Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Hairbrush for fine and thinning hair?

I have the double whammy of hair genetics. Very fine and not a ton of it, so I really need a hairbrush that detangles without breakage (as my hair easily gets tangled) and gives the illusion of volume or maybe a good shine! Thank you!

Re: Hairbrush for fine and thinning hair?

Hi Layce!  I also have thin hair (lots of it, but each strand is thinnnnnn!) and had terrible breakage until I invested in a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush.  It's been a total game changer.  I also have a round boar bristle brush by Regincos (extra large cork brush) for when I'm blowdrying my hair.  Good luck!

Something else to make sure you're doing if you don't already...use a detangler (Dove and Pantene have good detanglers).  Also, start at the bottom of your hair combing/brushing and work your way up.

Hi @Layce711

I use a boar bristle hair brush, they're super gentle in terms of brushing and take good care of your scalp which helps with hair loss. 

I got the Christophe Robin one, a little bit of an investment but definitely worth it and will last you forever. 🙂

http://www.sephora.com/boar-bristle-detangling-hairbrush-P415206?skuId=1898022&icid2=products%20grid...

Thanks for the suggestion!  Is this brush similar to the Mason Pearson brushes? 

Hi, Layce711!

For detangling, the Tangle Teezer brush can work wonders, without the typical long handle of a brush or comb, you grasp the brush along its actual body so pressure from your hand is equally distributed as you work the brush through hair versus if you were to firm grasp a handle of a brush or comb and then have to drag the body/head of the brush/comb through strands which can cause a lot of forced drag and stress. The plastic teeth are evenly spaced and are also connected to the base in a seamless piece so there's so separation from the base of the brush and its teeth as some times this can create space to pinch and pull strands. 

Image result for tangle teezer

Be sure that as you're detangling, start at the ends of your hair and work upwards. Don't try to comb/brush from the root down and just force all tangles and knots to the ends of your hair.

To be more gentle on strands, also incorporate a natural hair brush into your hair regimen. Natural bristles help distribute the oils from the roots/scalp throughout strands better to help nourish hair, cut down on frizz, and can help make hair feel softer.

To help add volume, once tangles are tackled and taken care of, brush or comb your hair in a direction that goes against how you usually part it. For example, if your part tends to sit along your left side, brush your hair from the right side over to create a part on your right temporarily before gently tousling it back to the left. If you part your hair in the center, brush your hair directly back and let it fall naturally back in place, but giving it that change in direction can help give a boost to strands.

If you're up for incorporating some styling products in your routine, try Dry Bar's Triple Sec 3-in-1, it's a texturing dry shampoo that adds volume in a spray as to remain ideal for those with fine or even thin hair. Living Proof's Full Dry Volume Blast actually has expanding particles to help boost volume between strands to create fullness and even give a bit of texture.

If you're looking for something to punch up shine, try a lightweight mist or spray such as Bumble and Bumble's hairdresser's Invisible Oil Dry Oil Finishing Spray or IGK's Speechless Hair and Body Dry Oil Spray. If you notice both formulas are dry oils, which do a stellar job at absorbing quickly without being too weighted or heavy on hair (and skin, in the instance of the IGK formula) so there's less risk of strands becoming sopped in oil and being too greasy feeling. Hold the can at least 8-10 inches away from strands and do a light spritz, you don't want to saturate hair with product, and then brush through. Some folks with fine or thin strands that don't want to spray direct onto hair can also mist a brush or comb and running that through hair.

Thank you! I had looked at that brush but really prefer a brush with a handle. And thank you for all the suggestions of other products. I've always had hair "issues" and I've found that Big Sexy Root Pump Plus gives me some more volume.

I'll look into the Dry Bar Triple Sec. Any other dry shampoos you recommend? Because my hair is so thin, I really need to wash it everyday, but I know my hair seems more healthy if its only washed a few times each week.

If you get a brush with a handle to detangle, you can hold it at the head too like you would a Tangle Teezer. There are also some detangling brushes with shorter handles so again the drag isn't applying too much force and stress to strands.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Tangle-hair/m-p/1824178/highlight/true#M51869

The above thread has some more brushes/comb suggestions and images of techniques to detangle.

If you're looking for other dry shampoo options, Living Proof's Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo is nice if you want a formula that actual adhere's to excess oils and build up to where you can brush them out of hair to be rid of them versus a formula that just soaks it up and leaves it along the roots. The LP dry shampoo isn't one to use if you're wanting that product to build up and boost roots, but rather a genuine "dry cleanser" for hair to use between washings.

The Ultimate Beauty Fit Kit is also a nice set to look into if you are considering buying the LP dry shampoo, it also includes 3 Invisibobble rings to pull back hair without causing dents or kinks and would be great to gather hair into a topknot as you slept so give some volume and body to your hair and roots by the morning.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing