Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Flaky patch in one spot

Hi! I've got one patch at the front of my head that gets itchy and flaky, no matter what I do. I've tried different scrubs on the area while washing. They work but don't last. Yesterday I used one and just now when I looked down, a big flake fell down. It usually goes away in the summer but I'd love to know what is out there to help it if it doesn't, or when it comes back.

It's annoying and gross.

My next step is tea tree oil. What else should be on my list?

l

l

Re: Flaky patch in one spot

@Crashleyw 

Besides seeing a dermatologist, the only suggestions I have are to stop with the manual exfoliations (no more physical scalp scrubs) and switch to a salicylic based shampoo. 

Hi @Crashleyw ! If you can, see your primary care doctor or a board certified dermatologist who can diagnose your skin. Sounds to me like you might have seborrheic dermatitis, but I’m not a doctor who can offer diagnosis or medical treatment. 

Seborrheic dermatitis is often caused by an overgrowth or overactivity of a type of yeast that lives on our skin. This skin condition also causes dandruff. An easy way to treat it, besides seeing a doctor, is to wash the affected skin with an anti-dandruff shampoo like Nizoral or Vanicream Dandruff Shampoo. Those 2 shampoos contain  ketoconazole and pyrithione zinc, respectively; both ingredients target the overactive yeast. Use it a couple times a week for a few weeks. 

Again, I cant say thats definitely whats happening with your skin. You could have a different skin condition that needs different treatment. What you should probably stop doing is trying to scrub the flakes away: exfoliation can make the problem worse. 

I hope you find relief soon! 

It's not dermatitis but thanks!

@Crashleyw  Quick BIC tip: be sure to @ the person you respond to so they’ll get a notification. Otherwise they might never see your reply. 

Have you seen a doctor about it? If you’re sure it’s not dermatitis, then I still recommend you stop exfoliating (scrubbing) that skin and do see a doc for diagnosis and treatment. Show the doc a list of everything you’ve used and done to try self-treating that skin, to help them figure out what’s happening. 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing