cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Workout Accountability/check-ins

Hi All,

Hoping people would be interested in this. 

I want to work out regularly and have a group of people who can keep each other accountable, just do daily check IN’s. I keep falling off the routine and then get into inertia and then it takes few weeks to couple of months to start back up. I am still not fully recovered after last years health issues and excercising is imperative to my health and everyone’s health. 

Please let me know your ideas !! We can structure it how everyone wants it.

I was thinking a check in and any tips people have, every day. This is the social group I interact most with and love the company of you kind and fun ladies. 

Also let me know if we need to move this thread in any other group.

Some tips I learned for athletic/ athleisure clothes I used buying new workout clothes as my motivation incentive for being consistent for 1 months rather than any food incentive. Used points to convert to gift cards and then bought 2 sets during sales. Before this I just had 1 legging and 2 Costco shirt. I didn't want to spend any money till I convinced myself that I would consistently use the clothes. Now I do so did some shopping 🙂

Leggings (criteria not rolling down on tummy fat, not needed to be pulled up a lot during the workout) - 

• Old Navy compression leggings - Very highly recommended and affordable
  • Athleta Contender Leggings - Mid range, they have sales (semi-annual and general)
  • Zella Live-in leggings from Nordstorms (people stock-up during anniversary sales)
  • Sweaty Betty Power Leggings
  • LuluLemon Fast & Free - High price but people love these
  • Reebok Cotton 7/8 - I love these for yoga. These are my most "roll-down-proof-during-downward-dog" on my tummy since I gained mass in mis-section after surgeries. 
  • Nike Dry Fit etc. from big box sporting goods store (name starts with D)

Shirts -

• I like short sleeve so most of mine are from Costco (Tuff brand or Kirkland)
  • Tanks from Athleta. They have most of their styles in all sleeve length (from Tanks, short sleeves as well as long sleeve shirts)
  • Tanks from Old Navy
  • Calia by Carrie Underwood - I have been eyeing some but waiting for them to go on sale
  • Nike Dry-Fit
  • Under Arrmer compression shirts

How to take care of your workout clothes - I learnt about these recently. I always bought workout clothes from clearance racks in the past so used to just wash with regular clothes in normal cycle. That can cause them to fade soon. If investing in pricier/ better clothes, better take care of these 🙂

• Wash in cold/ delicate/ "activewear mode" if your machine has one
  • If not washing immediately, let them air out if wet and not put it in hampers
  • Line dry or tumble dry WITHOUT heat
  • If too sweaty/ too stinky soak in a bucket full of water with 1/2 cup white vinegar overnight and then dump in the wash

*****Goals ***** <<still updating>>

@naturalooks15  Excercise 4 x week. still get to 7000 steps on off days. PT specific exercises 4 x week

@Brutalitops 

-Exercise at least once a day, no matter how little

-Go to an (easy) yoga class once a week until I can do it without muscle soreness the following day

@RNGesusPls 

Weekly goals: 

Run 30+ min on at least 1 weekday, 6 miles on a weekend

@scott1201 

• Exercise class 6x a week
  • At least two long walks around the neighborhood 
  • Try out all the trials from local studios (1st class free! One week for $10, etc) before committing to a new studio contract
  • Make myself talk to a person at each class

@MissPuff 

Goal: 6-7 miles a week, split into 2 or 3 evening runs

Proof: Selfie or run stats screenshot

@gonerogue 

personal training/weight lifting 2x a week

add in a 3rd day of boot camp (class) and

a 4th day of just cardio (running)

@jen143xo 

Exercise 5-6 days a week (Lifting and cardio)

add more HITT cardio in approx 2x-3x a week

Hit my macro numbers everyday

Drink more water

Re: Workout Accountability/check-ins

@naturalooks15 if you want to learn choreography I know that a lot of dance teachers are offering classes on Zoom and there are also dances you can learn on YouTube. If you look up the studios you're interested in it's pretty easy to find their offerings on their websites or social media accounts.

I also did a YouTube cardio latin dance class the other week - it wasn't my favorite but this is a good reminder to keep trying 🙂 

@KatieBT  😄 I am not that talented that I would learn choreography. I just enjoy dance workouts and was looking for a set-up where they teach basic steps first before getting into the routine (at the risk of dating myself, something like Jazzercise that I loved around 2001). 

@naturalooks15 Have you tried any of the Popsugar dance cardio workouts?  They have a 30-Minute Cardio Dance and Yoga Hybrid with Take Flight that is soooo motivating. It’s so encouraging and fun☺️

@eshoe  Thanks. Are these on Amazon prime or some other site. These sound interesting.

Just YT, @naturalooks15🙂

I don't know really anything about this @naturalooks15 but I did see an ad for Masterclass, which offers a wide range of classes and topics, one of which was a dance class

@Brutalitops  My spouse had subscription to MasterClass but I didn’t find any dance class there. 

Fair enough @naturalooks15 

Sat Apr 4th - 1 hr Yoga (Two 30 min YouTube videos) along with both my daughters 

Hey @naturalooks15 , I'm slinking back to the thread. So I'll start with an update- before all the madness that really came into full swing last month, I had been going for regular walks and going to a once a week yoga class and hit the gym every now and again. Now that all my group fitness options are (obviously) out, I'm having trouble finding a way to stay accountable and active.

I started Julia Marie's 30 days of yoga for weight loss- free if you have prime along with a few other videos. At first I thought it wouldn't be tough enough since the first week's videos were very easy but in week two they sure ramped up! I missed a few days this week- though I've keept up walking- so I'm looking to this thread to stay on top of things.

In addition to fitness, I've started calorie logging again in MyFitnessPal and I'm really trying to make healthier vegetable-focused meals. I've lost about 5 lbs since I really committed to everything somewhere in early march. Since I also started a serious budgeting journey, I tied a lot of the treats I've allowed myself to buy to meeting fitness goals.

New goals- still to exercise everyday. Specifically one yoga video a day along with 2-3 walks a week (while practicing social distancing 🙃 ). Meet calorie and protein goals at least 3 days a week. If I finish the 30-day yoga series I can buy either a new mat or a new set of yoga clothes

@Brutalitops  I have prime. I will try Julia Marie's 30 days of yoga for weight loss. Thanks for suggestion. 
you made some real good progress !!! Keep it going  👍🎊

When I was doing regular Orange Theory I didn’t see much weight loss but I was feeling stronger and my waistline had shrunk visibly.

I I swear since it all stopped 3 weeks ago my waist line has definitely increased and I feel heavy. I think I need to start logging on MyFitnessPal but that somehow is hard for me to do (I am vegetarian and cook mostly at home, non standard dishes.

@naturalooks15I wasn't seeing any weight loss either until I started watching calories, but I was definitely seeing some waistline shrinkage and definitely improved strength and flexibility! It is frustrating how fast we lose traction when we have to take a break. I stopped exercising for a few weeks in January for a family emergency and it felt like all the progress I'd made in my practice was gone. It sounds like you're hannging in there though, and that's what's important!

My fitness pal is kind of a pain, as I've been cooking more at home it takes forever to enter stuff and like you said, it's not like these are regular meals so it's hardly worth the effort of actually entering anything as "recipes" for later. I generally try to stick to using the same/similar ingredients over and over (like 7 vegetables and 5-6 favorite fruits) plus regular grains/proteins and just skip entering spices or aromatics like garlic since that level of detail takes forever and the calories from those sorts of things are negligible. I'll definitely stop again once I get closer to my weight loss goals and hopefully get a good handle on what I can "afford" from a calorie perspective

Plan on trying the daily yoga app, In free trial I could only find immune boosting sequence so I will try that in about 3 hours.

@naturalooks15I'd love to hear what you think of it! I've also been thinking about trying Gymodo after I finish the Amazon videos

I ended up doing free YouTube videos, two 30 min session since I was getting my daughter to do it. The daily yoga app was on phone and I couldn’t projects it on TV.

will let you know when I use it. 

Gotcha @naturalooks15, I've been trying to get my SO to do some with me since he's been bummed about the gym being closed but it's been a struggle

So lonely over here .... 😐

Wed Apr 1st - No workout

Thur Apr 2nd - 30 Min Orange Theory at home workout

Fri Apr 3rd - 35 Min Orange Theory at home workout

Rise from the dead...... 

Thought it would be good if we can re-activate this thread since it's a brand new month starting tomorrow. 

Update from me -

Progress - I have been working out regularly until about 3 weeks ago. I averaged about 12-16 days each month. I ahven't lost much weight or anything but in general feel stronger and feel so much better mentally !! 

But slacked after March 15th since OrangeTheory and Pilate studio closed. 

I have re-started workouts at home but just can't seem to push myself as hard as I push in the group classes, still better than now doing it altogether. On the plus side, I am doing the workout with my daughters so that's helping them get some exercise while they are stuck at home and we get some bonding time. 

Resources - There are tons of things out there but Orange Theory Fitness has been posting videos on youtube (available for anyone) which are closest to workouts I have been doing at OTF so easier to follow these. Try it if anyone is interested.

Also many places are giving 3 month free trial to online subscriptions. 

I NEED HELP staying accountable assuming few others also might !! Can we please revive this thread. 

Just wanted to post an update that I hurt my shoulder so my PT has told me to rest/ice and massage it for 2-3 weeks and no strain hence not too active. Though I did go to 3-4 times,  just avoided any rowing plus shoulder/arm exercises and stick to treadmill, bike, abs, squats etc. 

I am super happy, including today's yoga class, I closed at 21 total workouts in Nov. Though I am sure all the pecan pie, mashed potatoes etc.  I ate in last two days cancelled out few of those days. 

Folks !! get your workouts in before the holidays so you can eat those yummy treats guilt-free !!

Congrats @naturalooks15 !

I don't feel guilty about the feasting (my appetite is huge), but I like to workout, eat, repeat lol. I've been doing some gentle workouts lately due to an injury. Happy holidays to all!

Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • 1D7A64A5-759D-465A-B88C-65A93D884A3A.jpeg
  • 8CBE3B33-F2A5-4DAC-86E7-C7F3B9292EA5.jpeg
  • FDBD69E4-272F-44E7-8CFC-51391F1902D9.jpeg
  • D8081EA1-E34B-4E0F-B853-AD7B005CB4A5.jpeg
  • IMG_20190728_103226.jpg
  • 6A104437-13A4-4701-AD3E-B5A7FA8EB6B4.jpeg
  • CFB89364-C082-4506-A7EA-DF632FB0F7A7.png
  • 4165BE47-B0D5-4782-BC39-18B4869C324A.png
  • 204778EC-3F1B-478F-BE56-19C410F7DEFB.jpeg
  • B39643BE-5B23-46C9-8319-48A3EB8F2835.jpeg