Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Beauty Storage Hacks and Ideas

I was getting tired of digging through a tiny little drawer to get to my nail clippers, file, tweezers, etc… so I repurposed a cheap magnetic knife holder into grooming tool storage. It’s so much neater and easier to access now.

IMG_2593.jpeg

From this… 👎

IMG_2590.jpeg

To this! 👍

And that got me thinking… what beauty storage hacks or ideas do you use at home/work/school? I’d love to exchange ideas and see what you do to keep your beauty products or tools organized. 🤔

Re: Beauty Storage Hacks and Ideas

IMG_7080.jpeg

Revision number 3!

I added some cup hooks to hang a mirror on the door. Our washroom is pretty small. If both of us are getting ready at the same time in the morning, I would pull out the makeup I wanted to wear and finish upstairs where we have another mirror. Now, I can continue even if my wife needs the sink or the main mirror. 

And I wanted to take advantage of the empty space upper right corner. A flat organizer, some strategically drilled holes, and now it’s hanging up in the corner. 

And the new main organizer has a large space in the middle. I plan to use it as a place to lay out what I want to wear so I can find it easier. I can also use it as a dumping ground if I’m in a rush and don’t have time to put all my makeup back where it belongs. 

@JoSometimes wow all I have is all my makeup stuffed under my bathroom sink. Your setup looks great

Awww thanks @CorgiMommy! My bathroom is tiny, so I have to get creative. I built the cabinet myself to fit nicely on that wall and clear the door that’s off screen. Ones in the store were too deep and stuck out too much. 

This isn’t pretty but it’s a proof of concept that’s inspired by @heartsmyface (metal brush ferrules)

I drilled a tiny hole in this cuticle trimmer so I could thread a tiny screw. That gave it a magnetic spot on the handle so I could hang it on the magnetic block. If I were to do this in the future, I’d use a smaller screw that I can sink flush with the handle so it doesn’t stick out like this. 

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

I'm only coming here to say what a genius idea this is @JoSometimes ! SO GOOD.

Thank you @AnimalBrain! I’m still making some minor tweaks to make it more functional for me. 

How about you? What’s your beauty storage like?

Honestly? Nothing special hahaha. I have been actively trying to really minimize my collection and use acrylic storage drawers (clear) for my every day make up, and then MUJI storage boxes for the overflow haha. Not very organized in the grand scheme of things, but it does the job for now @JoSometimes . I love seeing how everyone else organizes their stuff though, LOVE organization content.

@AnimalBrain Muji! I completely forgot about them! I was trying to find larger acrylic or at least clear containers and almost resorted to getting something on Amazon. Thanks for the reminder!

I’ve been shifting things around in my beauty cabinet. I made some space and finally got my makeup in there too!

IMG_5278.jpeg

The lower level containers are dollar store containers. I wanted clear acrylic so I could actually see what was in there. I also wanted to utilize the wasted space between the two shelves so I added a wire corner shelf. It was actually meant for the shower. I removed the decorations and suction cups and screwed into the cabinet.

IMG_5276.jpeg

And then I realized, the wire grating underneath was too big for some of my skincare and the smaller ones would just fall through. 

IMG_5274.jpeg

I had a scrap piece of skinny plywood lying around in the garage. I traced the bottom of the shelf, cut it out with a jigsaw and sanded it smooth. I picked plywood specifically because I knew it would hold up to the humidity in the bathroom and possible skincare spills and not warp or disintegrate.

IMG_5275.jpeg

Even though plywood can handle getting a little wet without warping, I coated it in some furniture wax to protect it even more. Technically, any wood finish is food safe once properly cured but if anyone ever does something similar and is worried about chemicals, you can use butcher block wax.

IMG_5277.jpeg

Finally, I slid it into place and started organizing everything. No more worrying about products falling through!

I’m really happy with how this turned out. I wanted to maximize the space I had, still see and access all my products, and have it also look somewhat presentable. My next goals are a better way to store my lip balms so I have easy access to them and also an expandable way to store my eyeshadow palettes. 

@JoSometimes  I love this thread! So many ingenious and inspiring ideas and solutions to be found here! Hopefully I'll get my stash organized better soon and then maybe I'll have something to contribute too 😅

@caitbird I love repurposing things into solutions that are specific to my needs and my space. If it doesn’t exist, make it exist!

I can’t wait to see what you ideas you come up with once you’re all organized!

@JoSometimes  "if it doesn't exist, make it exist" I love that!

Time to brainstorm some organizing ideas... 🤔

DIY Nail Polish Storage
IMG_2744.jpeg

Took an Amazon shopping box and cut some strips

IMG_2749.jpeg

So I could do this!

Thank you to @bakeamuffin for sharing your recommendation for polish storage. It gave me an idea to make my own. I used a ruler, straight edge, and a box cutter to break down an Amazon shipping box, then strategically cut it so I could make a grid that holds each polish bottle in place. Now I can keep them organized, see each colour easily at a glance, and still put the lid back on and tuck it away from my kids’ little grabby hands. 

@JoSometimes , I low-key follow this thread for one day, I may actually organize my stuff.  One. Day.  Anyhow, I had to comment, because how brilliant is this?  It's clever and sustainable! 🤯

Thank you @danielledanielle! I like solutions that fit my exact needs. If I can’t buy it or it costs more money than it’s worth, I’ll see if I can make my own. I also sometimes teach environmental science. I would feel like a hypocrite if I didn’t contribute in someway to finding a more sustainable solution for things I need around the house. 

And hopefully we’ll get to see all the the genius ways you sort and store your stash!  

Ah, that's cool @JoSometimes , be about what you teach about.

Err, don't hold your breath on me 😂🤞🏼🤷🏽‍♀️

@JoSometimes you nailed this project (pun intended)!! This looks great, well done! Safe and away from little hands is perfect, I have to keep mine away too because my daughter wants to get into everything I have 😅 

Thanks @bakeamuffin! Honestly, if you didn’t suggest the storage box from Amazon, I wouldn’t have thought about this. Thank you again for this inspiration! 🙌

@JoSometimes I wish I had something helpful to contribute but I definitely have not perfected my organizational system for my make up, skin care etc..

What I do to keep it somewhat in order is the many make up bags and boxes I've collected over the years, house various things.

I have a bag for my lippies and a bag for sunscreens, a box for my palettes etc.. I just try to keep similar products close together. Masks, hair care , skin care,  make up etc..

Everything goes into this sort of old, not to big Cradenza I have. It's an old dresser with an inclosed desk space that I've taken over and use to house all my beauty things 😅

@CynthieLu You basically have a filing system for your beauty things. I love that you repurposed old furniture for it too!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 256 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos21
  • I keep saying I'll paint the outside someday but still haven't.
  • The dark grey mesh things tucked into the case's tag on the right side are brush guards, in case I fully wash a brush (these guards let me dry brushes upside-down on countertops).
  • All Sephora branded products here were generously gifted by Sephora. Pretty sure this photo's missing a Fenty Gloss Bomb or 2.
  • Pretty sure Lancome's discontinuing the L'Absolu Lacquers, which is a terrible decision because they're THE BEST glosses ever.
  • Aw, so many discontinued products in the bottom row.
  • There's also a black version. Last time I checked, it cost a bit more than this teal green one.
  • Eyeliner pencils. I... might have a problem.
  • IMG_2593.jpeg
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
  • IMG_4777.jpeg
  • I've moved most of what was here to my new makeup area, but there are still stragglers.
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
  • IMG_2749.jpeg
  • IMG_5278.jpeg
  • IMG_5276.jpeg
testing