cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

2021 Challenge located here: Pan It! - 2021 Challenge 🏆

It's time for a new decade, and a new Project Pan!

Before we dive into the details, I want to thank each and every one of you for joining me in another year of panning.  I cannot believe that this thread marks the 4th year of this challenge and how much it has grown over the years.  It's been a joy to witness so many of you participate and encourage others along the way.  For those of you thinking, "there's no way I can do that," think again!  We've all said that at one time or another, and some of the biggest skeptics have grown to take panning by storm.  Thank you all for your never ending inspiration 😘. Cheers to a new decade 🥂-Elle

Image result for hello 2020

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

Dec Pan Project.jpg

My progress. I decided to cut it down to two. Hoping I can get my smell back before I start on the original third one, I really liked how it smelled.

Woah! 😁 Nice work @Samtian👍

@itsfi Thank you!!!

B6429AC3-D329-400D-BBBA-7F00DDE561C7.jpeg

F4904559-4340-4B1C-ABFA-D5F06493DA27.jpeg

0AE927B6-C7F0-493F-8281-B797B237F546.jpeg

Holy bananas 2021 is here!! 🎉🎉 It’s so weird looking back at my December empties because the first few I barely remember finishing. I’m thinking of commandeering some of my sister’s makeup (she left it here over the past year after she built a house) so I can do a combination no/low buy and Project Pan—but we will see what the new year brings!

December 2020 Empties:

-Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream 8 g/0.3 fl oz

-First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Pores Be Gone Matte Primer 9.6 g/0.34 oz (might have broken me out? not sure if that’s due to it being an old sample or the product itself or if it was an unrelated stress pimple)

-Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Treatment Lotion 30 ml/0.1 fl oz (this is not lotion at all, this is earthy liquid mushroom water)

-KVD Vegan Beauty Lock-It Translucent Setting Powder 1.4 g/0.049 oz

-Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Shampoo 236 ml/8 fl oz

-Bath & Body Works Ultra Shea Body Cream in Sweet Pea 70 g/2.5 oz

-Yes To Superblueberries Facial Cleansing Wipes 30 count

-Tarte SEA Water Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in 15N Fair-Light Neutral 5 ml/0.17 fl oz (cleaned out the bottle to save for a travel mini and ordered a lighter shade that should actually match; this is the first liquid foundation in my life I’ve truly enjoyed and am comfortable wearing)

-Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 237 ml/8 oz

-dpHUE ACV Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse 251 ml/8.5 fl oz

-Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Intense Black 0.25 ml/0.008 fl oz

@KeriCherryDee, nice work finishing your hair products! 😁

End of the year recap (as a heads up I was TERRIBLE at taking update photos 🙃)

December 2019December 2019

January 2020January 2020

February 2020February 2020

March 2020March 2020

April 2020April 2020

July 2020July 2020

December 2020December 2020

This is probably my first long term project that I loved using just as much at the end of the project as I did when first starting.  The shadows are not as pigmented as they used to be and wear time has a short life span if not paired with other shadows/bases.  I'm planning to continue using this through January (maybe February?) since I won't be with my other palettes until then.  After that point I'll have to say goodbye to this gem.  

Hello my loves!  Thank you all for keeping this thread alive and sharing your amazing panning progress.  I've not been on my game (this year has been an entire mess but I digress) but I have still been chugging away with my eyeshadow project.  I'll make it a point to share the few progress photos I have this week and will also plan to start a thread for 2021 for those of you that are interested.

Much love to you all,

xoxo

Here's the new thread: Pan It! - 2021 Challenge 🏆 (also included at the top of the original post)

Thank you @ElleElleG! Looking forward to seeing everyone's project pan for 2021! Happy New Year!

Looking forward to hearing about your eyeshadow project @ElleElleG! 😃 Good reminder for me to decide what to make part of next year’s project pan. 🤔 

@ElleElleG Can't wait!! My photos are ready to go haha. Can't wait to see the progress you've made. 

Since I sidelined the Tarte Paaarty blush, I only had 2 pan items for November. My goal for the Sephora Collection Coconut Water Hydrating Mist was to finish it if not by November then definitely before the end of the year. As for the Natasha Denona Bib Eyeshadow Palette, I wanted to hit pan on one more eyeshadow and specifically, Freckle. And... ta da!!! @Samtian, I hit pan on that shadow - just barely. It seemed like it took forever with this shadow, but it does feel good to have gotten it done!

Here's where we stand as of December 1, 2020Here's where we stand as of December 1, 2020

Except for the Tarte blush, I finished up all of the products I wanted to before the end of the year. Of the ones I finished, there were only 2 items that I would not repurchase. I'm happy that I was able to get through as many products as I did, especially items that I wouldn't ordinarily be as committed to working through, which was probably most, if not all, of the products I included in my project pan. Huge "thank you" to @ElleElleG for hosting this thread, and to everyone for the encouragements along the way. I think I'll hit "pause" on a pan project in December with so many other things going on, but I'm looking forward to seeing and reading up on everyone's project pan progress! 

@itsfi WOOOOOO!!!! Congrats!! That is so awesome you got through almost everything you wanted to!

Thank you @Samtian! 😃 It was interesting to see what worked (and didn’t work) for me when it came to going through different types of products. 

Great work @itsfi !  There's a TON of product in these Natasha Denona palettes and you've made some impressive progress on the palette.   Is this a palette you think you'll continue to use? are you ready to "lose" it in your collection for a while? or are you over it completely?

Thank you @ElleElleG! 🤗 I’ll continue to use the palette. I just want to take a little breather from it. These shadows were pretty much the only eyeshadows I used this year, which really helped with panning and with not having to think too much what to reach for, which in the beginning of the stay at home was really good to have as a routine while adjusting to everything else. Having some more variety or at least more colors to mix with the shadows in this palette would be nice. I’m planning on looking through my collection and figuring out what eyeshadows or other palettes I want to add into the rotation with this one for next year. 

Completely understandable @itsfi !  Remind me, is this one of the ND palettes where the shades pop out?  If so you could pop out a shade or two and pair it with other singles to add some variation to the looks you created previously.

@ElleElleG, thank you!!! I went to check my ND Biba and the shades can pop out! 😍 2021 will definitely include a mix of colors. Last year, I wanted to see if I could hit pan / what it would take for me to do that. I feel like I can still stay focused on my pan and introduce other shadows to the mix now and plan to do that this year. I like the idea of pop the shades out. That could come in handy to for helping me focus on a particular shadow in the palette and not get distracted by other shades. lol. 

Just a few things for November, but look at that gorgeous empty cleanser! I’m going to tackle my remaining skincare samples/minis and some haircare during December, and maybe I’ll polish off one or two more makeup items.

November 2020 Empties:

-Sunday Riley Good Genes All-in-One Lactic Acid Treatment 8 ml/0.27 fl oz (the second of two very old minis)

-Burt’s Bees Ultra Conditioning Moisturizing Lip Balm 4.25 g/0.15 oz

-Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Soft Brown 0.085 g/0.003 oz

-Herbivore Pink Cloud Creamy Jelly Cleanser 100 ml/3.3 fl oz

96C52492-7DF2-462B-A8DB-C78DA8643037.jpeg

40569DDE-8C4C-43F5-AC94-91A382985B2B.jpeg

Great work @KeriCherryDee . Skincare seems to take me forever to finish!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos189
  • December 2019
  • I am going to join for 2020 these are my products. I also have a lot of perfume samples I want to use up.
  • Snapseed.jpg
  • 80962039_490329748286306_3239451337519267840_n.jpg
  • 20200102_233040.jpg
testing