Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Well I was horrible at keeping up posts with my panning projects for 2019, but I think I did pretty good at my 19 in 19.  I certainly learned that some products don't work and just won't work no matter how much I want them to.  I have a thing where I really want to use up products, not discard them.  And while this is a great way to find ways to use products, and I've found a few, I have learned to accept that sometimes things are just ready to leave our collections.  

I started the year with 19 products, all of them items that I'd let fall off my radar, that were mostly 'meh' to me.  I used up all except for 7 items.  

My 7 leftover products

Ogx Coconut Milk - This stuff is fine, but I just have so much else I prefer.  I'm determined to use this up, so while it's not going to be rolled over, I'm still leaving it on my counter for a month.  If it's not gone by Valentines day, it's done anyhow.

MUFE foundation - this is just too dark for my skin.  No way around it.

Korres Toner - I'm not a toner gal.  I'm not a Korres gal.  This stuff is done and shall be ditched.

Becca foundation - this is a good shade match, however it's wayyyy too heavy for how I do my makeup now.  I've tried to sheer it out with a moisturizer but I just don't have the time or inclination to do this in the morning. Bye.

DKNY perfumes - I made an effort with these and can see it when I look at the bottles, but they're just done.  I have grown so much with my choices in fragrances and have some that I love, no need to keep these around.

Mini Lancome palette - I used up the lighter pink colour, and put a good dent in the light purple, and did just barely hit pan on the darkest shade (a deep eggplant with random sparkles).  I used this as an eyeliner and only dipped into the exact same spot.  I feel like I gave this a good shot and used what I could.  Also learned I'm horrible at panning shadows. 

Two products are going to be rolled into 2020.  

Mac Bronzer - I just don't use bronzer.  I'm going to use this on my eyes and shoulders and as I did last year, then I think if I'm headed to a MAC counter it'll be back to Mac'd. It's a warmer shade than I like for my eyes so it'll be a challenge to use it as much as I can.

It cosmetics powder foundation - I actually don't mind this foundation as a touch up tool.  I just need to remember to use it.  

January 2019 - was so proud I finished off the Bite lip mask in smashed agave.  The bottom was busted open and I couldn't take the product anywhere other than my bathroom lol.January 2019 - was so proud I finished off the Bite lip mask in smashed agave. The bottom was busted open and I couldn't take the product anywhere other than my bathroom lol.All that was left... plus two roll over products that will go into my 20 in 20.  Might try to make it a little less challenging this year, and try to be actively working on products through the entire year.All that was left... plus two roll over products that will go into my 20 in 20. Might try to make it a little less challenging this year, and try to be actively working on products through the entire year.

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

That’s all for 2019 folks! It’s crazy how time has flown. Here’s to many more pans in 2020! My biggest takeaway from 2019 is: ITS OKAY TO DESTASH!!! When stuff isn’t working, don’t force it. I’ve worked too hard to clear my skin up to let a product break me out and I don’t have time between two jobs, traveling to see my boyfriend, and my pets to deal with products that I hate or don’t perform even passably. December 2019 Empties: -Yes To Blueberries Facial Cleansing Wipes 30 count -Algenist GENIUS Sleeping Collagen 8 ml/0.27 fl oz -destashed (approx 65% left): Maybelline Babylips in 05 Quenched SPF 20 4.4 g/0.15 oz (this always dries out my lips and makes them flaky) -destashed: NUDESTIX Magnetic Matte Lip Color in Greystone 2.5 g/0.088 oz (honest to God can’t figure out how to sharpen this and also can’t find a reasonably-priced sharpener big enough for it. And it also makes me look a bit like a corpse) -Youth to the People Superfood Air-whip Moisture Cream 7.4 ml/0.25 fl oz x2 -Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Body Lotion 500 ml/17 fl oz -Youth to the People Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream 7.4 ml/0.25 fl oz -destashed (95% full): NYX Radiant Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray 50 ml/1.69 fl oz (DO NOT BUY unless you like glitter all over everything you own and wear) -Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat hair mask 400 ml/13.5 fl oz

*2020 Thread (okay that sounds weird 😳) will be up this weekend.*

December Update on my long term project.November 2019November 2019

December 2019December 2019

A bit more progress on my Lorac Mega Pro 3. I managed to hit pan on Dk Roast and I feel like I managed to thoroughly complete this palette despite having more to go. We'll see how much more I can use in the next couple weeks but I'm already looking ahead to 2020 when I kick this baby to the curb. 

Hope all of your 2019 projects wrap up on a strong note and that you're thinking about 2020 goals 😘

@ElleElleG Awesome progress! 

Best,
Rebecca

@ElleElleG Do you have a 2020 thread up? I plan on participating, just set some goals tonight. Lots of primers but I have so many right now and these are lingering. Time for the new!CE836CD6-317D-4B4B-A210-79CE0E11E54E.jpeg

@eshoe How are you liking the Glossier Priming Moisturizer? 🙂

@Guessgal I reach for it at least once a week, in the winter I find myself looking for a richer primer. It is unscented, and has the ever-so-slightest punk shimmer. Almost undetectable. 

CB5818D9-42B5-48A5-AFBA-FC2447A8EEA1.jpeg

You cannot even see the shimmer here, so subtle! 

It doesn’t pill and is a piece of cake to use. I like it when I need a primer that doesn’t require a lot of work, it just works. My skin is normal, drier in the summer. While I don’t think the product is a must buy, I love having it and it is a tried and true stand by!

@eshoe Oh thank you for your feedback and the pic to show texture & shimmer - super helpful! I like what I’m hearing about this primer. My skin is currently so parched that I’m trying to pass off not wearing foundation for the next few days. The moisturizing primer seems like a good addition! I’ll have to see if I can pick it up next time I’m in NYC or LA 😉

@Guessgal It is a great extra layer of moisture, which my skin just loves. I wanted to mention too that it absorbs quickly without leaving your skin feeling/looking greasy or tacky. Not to mention a very friendly price-point😉

Would love to hear what you think if you try it!

@eshoe Good luck on your 2020 goals! I also need to get through a lot of my primers 🙂

Best,
Rebecca

Thank you, @RebeccaBT. I think this may be a bit ambitious but I am going to give it go anyway!

My goal is to have it up this weekend @eshoe, I've been slacking 😅.

Ohhh that's a nice spread for the 1st quarter! It's amazing how primers add up.  Can't wait to hear your thoughts on each once you've dug into them further.

I will be on the look out for it @ElleElleG!

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Relatively few things this month but I plan on going through a bunch of deluxe samples to finish out 2019 and start 2020! I’ve come a long way since I first started working through my lip products in 2018 and I’m very hopeful by this time next year I will have a much more manageable collection of beauty and skincare and haircare products 😊 November 2019 Empties: -Chapstick Classic Strawberry 4 g/0.15 oz -Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream 5 ml/0.17 oz -Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream foil 1.5 ml/0.05 fl oz -Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Anti-pollution Sunshine Drops 5 ml/0.17 fl oz -Lush American Cream conditioner 250 ml/8.4 fl oz -dpHUE Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse 1 fl oz -Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Chocolate 0.085 g/0.003 oz -I Dew Care Say You Dew Moisturizing Vitamin C Gel + Cream 50 ml/1.69 fl oz -RIP (~65% left): Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Beetroot 1.55 g/0.05 oz (unfortunately this went through the washer by accident and nothing remains—oops)

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

You've done great this year @KeriCherryDee !!  Once you find your footing it's hard to stop, I have no doubt you'll pan even more than you can fathom in 2020.

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@KeriCherryDee, I'm glad to hear 2019 went so well!  Mine did, too.  I haven't purchased a serum since March because I have three that I am determined to use up.

Im so excited that its almost the end of the year and i get to add up all my used up products and see how much progress I've made. I have decided that for 2020 im going to give myself a budget to keep myself under control and try as hard as i can to use what i have and not keep buying new. Ive realized how much i waste my money on beauty and i want to narrow down my loves and only repurchase those. Anyways

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.45.46 AM.png

Im super excited to say I finished my Becca moonstone highlighter! I repressed it after last update and it got very powdery and gave off a lot of kick up every time I used it. I know thats a huge reason i finished it off. I cant believe i have 3 Becca empties for this year! Im so excited to work through more highlighters and bronzers in 2020 seeing as i slather myself in them i think i can finish a few. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.46.16 AM.png

I also finished both my Mac lipsticks and a L'Oreal one! I used these as blushes and lipsticks and eyeshadow and i would often mix them together so I ended up flying through them. I did use them everyday even if it was as a base under my powder blush and I'm surprised it didn't look clownish.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.46.24 AM.png

Lastly I'm happy and heartbroken I finished my fenty foundation as well as the cover fx drops i mixed it with. I fell in love with this foundation again and I may repurchase in the future when i work through some other foundations. I did have to declutter the Cover fx stick foundation because it went off. It would patch really bad and become an oil slick by the time i was done with the rest of my makeup. Not to mention it started breaking me out. 

I have hit my goal on all my pan items for 2019 and im gonna spend December playing and maybe getting some bonus pans.

Good luck everyone!

Great job on panning this year, @PaulinaAP .  Your progress has been truly inspiring!!

Great work, @PaulinaAP!  Using so many products up is so satisfying!

1 Reply
testing