Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Finished three items this month! Well technically two, but the LM caviar stick was so soft and eventually fell out into a sink as I was trying to use it so that is officially done (good riddance tbh). Made a solid amount of progress on some other items. I’m focusing on finishing the Buxom lip cream, Becca powder and Benetint this month. Even though it’s already July I haven’t fully decided what other products to focus on for this month, so I’ll be keeping these current items in for now until I go through what’s left of my pan. I kinda want to finish the liquid or cream based products while the weather is warm, but we’ll see!

3069214E-C3E6-4C9E-8161-8DE4C4D6BDCF.jpeg

40DB8909-41CF-461A-BEED-2561DAC0D2BE.jpeg

Awesome progress @cianni 

@cianni Great job! Something falling into the sink totally counts as panning IMO 😛 

@trishavt I think so too! Honestly I was so happy to see it go... I wasn’t too impressed with that product 😂 a little disappointing because I wanted to love it but oh well haha

My July focus products. 57BFE442-DD92-4F92-BE44-DF3ECCCD9E0F.jpeg

AABA91C7-4E41-4EA8-BC37-E694634AAC72.jpeg

I did alright for June.  Made some good dents in a few products.  I’m pretty sure if I keep the revlon lippy in rotation I’ll have it used up by the end of July.  The nars t’imiter moisturizer is feeling really light.  I’m going to keep it and the sugar in rotation as well.  Get them out 🙂 The cover fx highlighter is too dark for my face but i’ve been using it to give my shoulders some glow. F12C25D3-C3DD-43BF-9FBA-8DEC5DB8D225.png

1684930E-DA1E-4663-9BBE-FA56457F12E1.jpeg

I’m removing the cos2 powder from my collection.   It’s too drying. 

Ohhhh a little shoulder glow, go @heartsmyfaceUnidentified

Great job putting your stash to use! 

@heartsmyface nice work! You should be able to pan that revlon lipstick in no time 😉

Its freeing to get rid of something that just doesn’t work. I used to feel obligated to finish an item before tossing even if it didn’t work for me but now I’ll toss something if it doesnt suit me. Its very liberating 😄

@trishavt. Oh it is for sure!   I was trying to use it as an eyeshadow base but it’s just making me unhappy.  I hate wasting things but It’s more of a waste not using the products I actually enjoy.  It had a fair trial so no guilt.   

Ugh, I have to systematically go through my blushes and be honest with myself about which shades I actually use.  I’ve been putting it off but it needs doing.  

I originally joined the challenge to pan 3 of my palettes, the Urban Decay Naked palette, the Too Face Chocolate Bar palette, and the Tarte Tartelette palette. On, my original post, I mistakenly posted the Tartelette in Bloom palette, but the original Tartelette had the same use. 

IMG_0313.JPGToo Faced Chocolate Bar

IMG_0312.JPGUrban Decay Naked

IMG_0311.JPGTarte Tartelette

However, I have to modify the challenge for myself because after using each palette for 2 months, I haven't made a dent in any pan!!! All the palettes look as untouched as they did in the original before pictures, which is quite discouraging! On top of that, I was getting really bored with all the natural looks that always looked the same on me. 

For the rest of the year, I'm going to continue doing one month, one palette. The goal is to determine which palettes I want to keep and which ones I am ready to declutter. My plan is to update at the beginning of the month with the palette of the upcoming month and whether the previous month's palette is on the stay or go list.

This month's palette is the Urban Decay Electric (can you tell I was starved for color?! LOL), but I'm also using the  NYX Lid Lingerie palette as a companion. From the previous palettes I've used, the Tartelette palette is on the declutter chopping block because the colors look so muddy on me. 

Keep at it @sephoraaddict918Unidentified.

While progress may seem minimal when working on multiple items the cook thing is that once you make those dents you'll make several all at once. One month one palette will also help you stay motivated. 

@sephoraaddict918 @It’s a real eye opener how long a single palette actually lasts with regular use! 

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Oh my goodness - I must say I felt like I wasn’t making that much progress, but looking back at my last post I can’t believe how far these have come along! I decided to declutter the tarte cream blush palette since my skin started to react to it. (I did have it past the best by date after all) I also lost the mini tarte lipstick since it fell out of my pocket when I was running errands. I decided to add in the hourglass ambient lighting blush in dim infusion and a coverfx shimmer veil in moonstone.

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Great progress @KaylabrUnidentified

This is why I advocate taking photos. Seeing progress overtime, especially if doesn't feel like there's actual progress, is a fantastic motivator!

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Ahh thank you, ElleElleG! Not only is it a great motivator, but I also have fun arranging the products around while taking them haha

@Kaylabr @Dang that’s amazing progress!!!  

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Thank you, @heartsmyface!

Amazing work, @Kaylabr!

Thank you, @curlychiquita!

i'm also happy to report that i have completely finished the becca highlight and the middle shade of the hourglass ambient lighting palette!

@Kaylabr Impressive!!!!!

@Sodayui Thank you! at the rate i've been going i think i'll be completely done with the hourglass palette and the becca highlight soon

1 Reply
testing