Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

I love seeing everyone's progress. I thought I'd give an update on mine. My start of my panning is to use every shade at least once and go from there. I've had some changes since the start of the year, so it's time to show them. I currently have, if my horrible math is correct, 47 palettes/quads/things to test not including singles. I have fully tested 13 of them. I had started only using each palette for about a week and only at work. I know go through each palette until it is done, and not at work, due to work environment conditions getting worse haha. I'm putting everything in the spoilers since it is a bit much.

Finished Palettes-

Spoiler
Pal 1.jpg

Results-...Well looks like I didn't take photos of some. I'll have to fix that later.

Spoiler
Urban Decay Ammo Box After.jpgKVD Serpentina After.jpgToo Faced Boudoir After.jpgUD Basquiat After.jpgUD Vice After.jpgJS Thirsty After.jpgTF Romantic After.jpgUD Reloaded After.jpgKVD Pastel Goth After.jpgWeekly Viseart After.jpgWeekly Charlotte Tillbury Rock Chick After.jpg

Partial Tested + Results-

Spoiler
Pal 4.jpgFirst Test, Before I did Checks and X's.First Test, Before I did Checks and X's.Weekly Morphe 3502 After.jpgSmashbox After.jpg

Waiting-

Spoiler
Pal 3.jpgPal 2.jpg

So that's that for now!

Are checks ones you liked and the Xs ones you didn’t like?  Or are they tried and not tried?  @Samtian 

@heartsmyface  The KVD Saint & Sinner was one of the early ones and x was for everything. Everything else the x is bad, check is good,? is unsure, and - is no opinion.

I have a trip at the end of June through mid-July so I'm looking for help with choosing two shades from the palette for the next couple months.

As always, I appreciate the BIC members who have helped with prior selections: @GG84  - Authentic for January, @GG84 -Skillful for February, @eshoe - Angelic for March, @ElleElleG - Exhilarating for April and both @sparklekai and @christyrc for the inspiration to use Paaarty for May.

A little detail about the shades I have:

Spoiler

Blush Update 2019-05.PNG

Tarte holiday blush bazaar top circle (at 12 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Highlight - Whimsical - X Not Included X

-Angelic (peachy pink) – X March X

-Fortunate (pink melon)

-Skillful (pink berry) – X February X

-Exhilarating (fuschia) - X April X

Second circle (at 1 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Endless (pink raspberry)

-Dainty (melon)

-Extraordinary (shimmering coral)

-Highlight - Worthy - X Not Included X

-Authentic (plummy rose) - X January X

-Tarte blush - Paaarty (nude) - X May X

-Bare Minerals Secret (mauve)

I also have a picture of Paaarty for the end of this month:

Spoiler
If my tracking is right, this is 127 uses. There's progress but I don't feel close to pan. I also think I prefer rotating than sticking with one blush for 6 months or a year so it is what it is.If my tracking is right, this is 127 uses. There's progress but I don't feel close to pan. I also think I prefer rotating than sticking with one blush for 6 months or a year so it is what it is.

Paaarty is a good shade but as I said in the spoiler, I don't want to have to wear one blush forever to get pan. That's why I wanted a blush palette in the first place - to try a variety of shades. But I'm glad to have Paaarty from the birthday gift ..though why did I need the GWP bag that also had Paaarty, I don't know. Maybe I should pass it along for someone else to enjoy since it is a nice product.

Any opinions for the summer months are appreciated! Also, I'm halfway through my 10 shades which is pretty cool. 🙂

@ShortErica My vote is to lay down the lighter shade first with a big fluffy brush and then lay the second shade down right over top but don’t blend it out as far as the base layer.  I think they’d mix well.

71065C41-4A75-4BA6-B60D-9141EC04A907.jpeg

You must have faith in my makeup abilities @heartsmyface cause I don't think I've even thought of blending blushes. I think those will be the shades I use. I'll have to see about this two blushes at one time thing. 😉

@ShortErica  haha, i’m just reading this now!  How’d the blending go for you?  

Shoot @heartsmyface. Never tried it. And I forgot today was the 1st and used the “June” blush today instead of the coral shimmer. I must say I was disappointed in the peach shade. Perhaps my foundation which leans cool affected it but it looked more pink and less peach most days. Which was an okay shade just not what I expected/wanted.

@ShortErica  I vote for the one between April and March!

@Samtian I think that one is a highlight..more gold right? I probably should use it during summer for warmer looks though. Thanks! 🙂

Great job on panning your blushes! I actually was very close to finishing my Tarte Paaarty blush from the Sephora birthday gift and then it broke. I personally love it so I bought a replacement. 😬 

@Gemini619 I'm sorry it broke but great job on panning it!

My Tarte blushes look like I've never even used them, @ShortErica 🙈 You definitely made some progress on Paaarty though! I feel like Extraordinary would be a cool shade for June since it's coral and it'll give you a glow! 🙂 

@SpaceLlama I've been waiting for a warmer month to do that one. This definitely seems like the right time!

How many tarte blushes do you have? Not that I need more blush but I like the formula and am curious about their standard shades.

Paarty took me FOREVER to pan! I will say that as I have tried more blush formulas I have come to appreciate the build-ability of the amazonian clay blushes. I love how you have split up the blush palette by month! Such a great way to ensure that you get use out of the products without getting too bored!

Thanks @m3rc3d3s! I guess that's the good and bad about blushes - taking forever to pan. Nice that they can be used a lot and get your money's worth but they stick around forever when you want to try other things. I hope this palette will be good for another couple years and maybe..maybe..I'll hit pan in something.

TF quad pan project progress. Ive been using this quad at least every other day. Not gonna lie I’m getting bored of the same look so I’ll occasionally switch to another TF quad or some ABH singles. It’s nice to switch it up but dang it sure it hard to pan eyeshadow!

367B108C-7D97-4299-8C6C-1DBDF094E335.jpeg

Great progress @trishavt 

Mixing things up are good for the soul so I'm glad you play with other items now & again to motivate you push forward 😃

You're doing great, @trishavt ! I feel you on getting bored of the same look. I haven't been using my pan projects as much for the past month because I wanted to try other looks and palettes. I don't wanna neglect my other palettes either haha

@SpaceLlama I feel you! I want to commit myself to panning but I find myself bored with the same palette so I'll switch over to something else and forget about my original goal. Somehow I end up remember my original pan project later and start all over again. haha!

@trishavt Awesome job!

Best,
Rebecca

3 Replies
testing