Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2017 Challenge!

After chatting with a few of you it seems we were in need of an official "Project Pan" thread for longterm projects to get some use out of our respective makeup collections.  All are welcome to participate!

To accommodate various interests the purpose of this thread is for participants to pick at least 1 item (preferably an eyeshadow palette) to use for at least a month (for a "one month one palette") or until December 31, 2017.  You do not have to use the selected item(s) exclusively and working on simultaneous items is more than OK!

**No project is too big or too small, you know your collection, your goals, and your limitations, do what works best for you!**

Please use this thread to: 

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

To get started let us know:

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 🙂
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you have committed to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else

Need some challenges/ideas to help you along the way?  Here are some:

Spoiler
  • Pan a look:  At the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday Recreate a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an “everyday” look by throwing a different color in your crease or on your lower lash line
  • Roll the dice: pick 2-3 of your most underused shades in your palette and create a look

Prefer to pan other color items like highlighters or blush?  Feel free to share your items, goals, and progress as well 😉

Now let's see some pan!

**2018 Panning Challenge Thread located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/Pan-It-2018-Challenge/m-p/3604337#M317498

Re: Pan It! - 2017 Challenge

I'm going to try panning this Chanel blush. It will no doubt take a long time, but I'm trying to start using LE things instead of hoarding them to look at. 😄IMG_0249.JPG

@angel7594  You are my hero!   I am so hesitant to mess up/use up any of my LE items.   I just can't do it.   

Good luck!

This is beautiful @angel7594!  Are you someone who is OK with using items for more than what they are sold as?  If so that orange-ish shade would look beautiful on the eye, particularly in the crease!

@ElleElleG, that is a great idea! I will try it! ❤️

I've hit pan on a deluxe/travel sized IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed not long ago. There are two more in my stash and this one has lasted me a really long time so I should be good for quite a while. Haven't hit pan on anything else though. And likely won't. Does the bottom of a lip balm tube count as a pan? 

@alexasteph YEP!  If you've used it up you've hit pan 😄

I just want to say good luck to everyone participating!

pointing you got this dos equis the most interesting man GIF

Panning an eyeshadow palette is not something I want to accomplish lol. I like to keep all my palettes complete 😛 But I may try to pan my ALP so I can join in on some of the fun 🙂

LOL thanks for the support @Mcakes!  

I completely understand wanting to keep your eyeshadow palettes intact!   What finally sold me was seeing certain palettes go untouched for long periods of time.

To get us started, here is 1 of the projects I began on January 1, 2017.

• Which item(s) you would like to work on? Lorac Sweet Luxuries Palette (released Holiday 2012)
  • How long you will work on said item? Duration of 2017
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.?  completely finish item
  • Starting photo of item

Jan 2017Jan 2017

Spoiler
Feb 2017Feb 2017
Mar 2017Mar 2017
Apr. 2017Apr. 2017
May 2017May 2017
June 2017June 2017
Finished June 14 2017Finished June 14 2017

Wow!  That is some serious dedication!   Color me impressed!   @ElleElleG ❤️

@ElleElleG This is amazing progression! I can't even imagine getting this far. I've never hit pan on anything besides face powder and bronzer before my makeup craze days. 

Truly impressive! @ElleElleG 

Wow this is incredible @ElleElleG. The closest I have gotten to panning an item is a few shades in an eyeshadow palette but never the whole thing. They're always the same shades too-- the highlight-y ones-- and the smokier half of the palette sits around unused. It's the reason why I rarely buy palettes anymore, I guess. I am curious about the Lorac palette in your photo though... was it an item you liked to start with, or made yourself use up because you didn't like it? What did you learn in the process?

No problem @blueviolet21!  Same here with reviews, which is why I've done so few, lol.

You don't actually have to aim for pan to participate (same for you @Mcakes ).  If you want to make use of your palettes more generally you could focus on a different palette each month or pick various shades from different palettes (I did that more when some of my primary shades ran out). 

blueviolet21 wrote:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply @ElleElleG! So much food for thought. I bet panning Naked 2 was an experience. That was a palette I would like so much better if it was executed better-- not so glittery like you said! Hmm. That's a good point you make about being able to use eyeshadows for more than one purpose; and also about opinions changing. Sometimes I think I should never write reviews because my opinions often change so much over time that I feel guilty when I re-read them. I still need to think more about what a suitable item would be (maybe a quad where I've panned one shade but not the other three?), but thanks for giving me so much to think about Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for your detailed reply @ElleElleG! So much food for thought. I bet panning Naked 2 was an experience. That was a palette I would like so much better if it was executed better-- not so glittery like you said! Hmm. That's a good point you make about being able to use eyeshadows for more than one purpose; and also about opinions changing. Sometimes I think I should never write reviews because my opinions often change so much over time that I feel guilty when I re-read them. I still need to think more about what a suitable item would be (maybe a quad where I've panned one shade but not the other three?), but thanks for giving me so much to think about 🙂

blueviolet21 wrote:

Wow this is incredible @ElleElleG. The closest I have gotten to panning an item is a few shades in an eyeshadow palette but never the whole thing. They're always the same shades too-- the highlight-y ones-- and the smokier half of the palette sits around unused. It's the reason why I rarely buy palettes anymore, I guess. I am curious about the Lorac palette in your photo though... was it an item you liked to start with, or made yourself use up because you didn't like it? What did you learn in the process?

Thanks @blueviolet21 ! I was just like you before deciding to pan: gravitating towards the same shades and neglecting others.  Though you are far better than I because I can't not buy a good looking palette 😊.  

I absolutely adored the Lorac palette! It was simple and had all the components I needed to craft a quick everyday look without using additional palettes.  I largely used the palette as a travel palette because of its portability.  The decision to pan the palette came after stumbling across some Youtube videos and becoming fascinated with the idea.  My palette collection has grown considerably since purchasing the Lorac so it was often left on the back burner if I wasn't going out of town.  By the time I decided to give panning a shot the center shade (my perfect transition) had been long gone and although it was a bit bittersweet I wanted to move the palette out of my collection to make room for new things.

Lessons learned hmmm 🤔🤔.  Small palettes are convient but limited in combos/looks.  Eyeshadow can be used for more than eyeshadow (browns work great for creating natural eyebrows).  Glitter/shimmer shadows take longer for me to use.  I prefer palettes that allow me to create a "complete" look, especially when I am in a rush.  The Lorac formula is very forgiving, blending is/was a breeze.  Layering eyeshadows creates a new shade which is great when you're trying to force yourself to wear the same thing everyday.  I don't prefer copper/bronze/brown shades on my eye.  Opinions change: I used to love that copper/bronze/brown shade but not so much now.

I'm certain I am forgetting some things but this is what comes to mind when I think of this particular palette.  Not sure if I noted it in this particular thread but when I started my Lorac project I started another project as well (trying to use my Naked2 which has been an experience) which helped me not get frustrated with the Lorac.  Starting February I started a "one month one palette" with an ABH palette which also helped me get through the monotony of the Lorac, it also replaced some shades I managed to finish in the Lorac.

Yay! Thanks for starting this @ElleElleG. I'll have to think about what I want to work on, I'll be back with pictures!

Holy crap! if I can get to THIS point with ANY of my palettes, I'd be super happy!!

@k617 I think you should give the challenge a try!  It has certainly helped me learn what I like in a palette (formula, color scheme, etc.).

RESPECT!!! You have my respect @ElleElleG! I need to join this thread liked yesterday lol! I think i have 3 palettes in mind.

Aww thanks @blackkitty2014 ! I would love to see you pick one or all three to work on and the amazing looks you create 💕

Conversation Stats
Photos80
  • Jan 2017
  • Feb 2017
  • Mar 2017
  • Apr. 2017
  • May 2017
  • June 2017
  • Finished June 14 2017
  • IMG_0249.JPG
  • IMG_0768.JPG
  • nfgdvcsaevcz