Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

I know youโ€™ve tried a sample (or ten) of something and it was so magical it made you stop everything and buy a product cause it was love at first sample!  What was it and did the full sized version live up to your initial heart-melted impression? Or is it still on your shopping list to pick up at your earliest convenience?  

The first time I can recall this happening to me was when Sephora still carried Dermadoctor.  I had a sample of their KP Duty Body Scrub.  I used it just to push it through my stash and was absolutely blown away by how immediately soft and exfoliated my skin was!  Instant purchase!   Itโ€™s been six years and I have yet to find any body scrub that compares -and Iโ€™ve tried!

A more recent love-at-first-sample is the Dior Backstage Face and Body Primer!  Itโ€™s a slightly peach tinted,creamy gel consistency and is mega hydrating while blurring subtle imperfections on its own but making foundation apply so smoothly!!!  Plus it has a beautiful floral fragrance which may not be everyoneโ€™s cup of tea but itโ€™s very pleasing to me. ๐Ÿ™‚  

Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Primer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif

โ€ƒ

3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Re: Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@heartsmyface I'm usually not lucky enough to get samples of products I'm especially interested in.  So, only two spring to mind.  ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Agingยฎ Smoothing Anti-Frizz Blowout Butter (I got a DS, and it might be time to get the FS soon) and Paula's Choice essence, which is now discontinued.

@greeneyedgirl107  Oooo yay!!! Glad you loved it!

@ather I recently bought the FS!

@greeneyedgirl107  Ouhhh, I havenโ€™t seen this one!  

@heartsmyface It's still going strong!

I think? my 1st ever Love at first sample in Sephora, was the DEREK LAM 10 CROSBY 2am Kiss 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray I bought the Full size during a fragrance multiplier ๐Ÿ˜. The smell didn't change and it was my staple for awhile.  It's still a quarter full now and stick with travel sprays now to limit waste.

@heartsmyface it's usually fragrances that will get me at first sample,, two recent ones are #Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Parfum Spray 

And Maison Marie Louis 4 perfume

@heartsmyface great idea for a thread! I got a sample of the MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Skin Undetectable Longwear Foundation and even though it's not my favorite, the shade is so close to my skintone that I decided to pick it up. It's nothing to write home about, imo, but it's a great go to when I'm in a rush and need something that will do the job and stay on well.

@makeitup305  Finding a foundation thatโ€™s an exact match is sooo rare!   I know what you mean, my exact matches donโ€™t have to perform perfectly cause if they misbehave they donโ€™t tend to be obvious as a shade thatโ€™s simply close.  
I wish a brand would come out that custom mixed shades for customers on the spot.  That would be such a game changer.  

@heartsmyface exactly. I much prefer it with a glowy base underneath. I think Lancome had a custom foundation builder in some stores but I'm not sure  if they still do. I never heard much about it though,  the formula must not have been great. I wonder if it's hard to do with a standard "base" since I might have heard that darker shades require more tweaking? Idk. I think it would be amazing to be able to go into Sephora and get a custom shade there and then.

@heartsmyface, what a fab thread. Itโ€™s been great reading about the products that left a lasting and loving first impression on everyone! ๐Ÿ˜ Many of my tried-and-true products made their way into my collection after I sampled it. Hereโ€™s my most recent love at first sample:

Sample 2 Full Size - Lancoฬ‚me.jpeg

Lancรดme Teint Idole Ultra Wear All Over Full Coverage Concealer 

I typically have a more expansive selection of foundations on hand, even at my most streamlined. When it comes to concealer though, I've kept them to just a small few. I made room for this one. It holds up very well, doesn't feel tight or dry after a long day of wear, and looks nice on the skin. ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  does it dry down like Nars radiant creamy concealer or is it more moist and in need of a separate setting powder? 

Good question @heartsmyface! It wears better when I use a setting powder. Itโ€™s not bad without a setting powder but shows signs of wear and fading sooner than if I used a setting powder. Iโ€™ve been using it as both an under eye concealer and over spots.

The fresh Black Tea Firming and De-Puffing Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL was the most recent sample that "got me". I couldn't stomach the price at first, but none of the other half dozen eye creams even held a candle! I don't get a lot of sleep these days and it is the only thing that makes any difference in de-puffing and moisturizing, while also not causing any pilling with my make-up. Love at first sight, for sure!

@blueyonder  Ohhh i liked this one!! I had a bunch of samples I used for an entire month of travelling and never remembered to purchase it when I got home even though it was great!!! 

The original Farmacy Honey Potion was a major love from the first sample!

@faeriegirl Okay, tbh, I donโ€™t even need to try samples to buy Farmacy products.  I just assume (usually correctly) Iโ€™m going to love them. ๐Ÿ˜†

It wont really count but if i could i would buy the Oribe shampoo from the sample i got a while ago.

I maybe wouldnt buy the same version, but still, those shampoos are pricey. 

@Emy10   It still counts if you tried it and you fell in love!  And yes, the Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo won my heart in a big way!  No white cast and it works instantly!  Mineโ€™s nearly empty but the price point makes me cringe.  I have a self inflicted arbitrary price cap on certain items and more than $50 for a dry shampoo is it (unless of course Iโ€™m feeling irresponsible which happens ๐Ÿ˜) Iโ€™ve already replaced it with the Ouai Super Dry Shampoo.  The Melrose Place scent is fresh and Divine.  It does leave a slight white cast that needs to be tousled out but itโ€™s worth it for the fragrance. OUAI Super Dry Shampoo 4.5 oz/ 127 g #

@heartsmyface  Oooh i love the Ouai leave in, its the best detangler for my hair.

26$ is still way too much for a Dry Shampoo ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

For me, two stick out -

Sol de Janeiro Bom Dia Brightโ„ข Visibly Brightening and Smoothing Body Cream with Vitamin C 8.1 oz / ...

fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence 

Both have become staples in my skin and body care routine, Iโ€™m obsessed with them!  

Conversation Stats
Photos22
  • 3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg
  • DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif
  • Sample 2 Full Size - Lancoฬ‚me.jpeg
  • Photo from US Lookfantastic site
  • D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg
  • Benefit Concealer.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220826-133617_Chrome.jpg
  • Saint Jane SPF.jpg
  • 560dce3d-8ba7-5b69-8453-7a5e70aced25.jpeg.jpg
  • Nest Orange oil.JPG