Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Formula Changes

This thread is for use to keep each other updated on product formula changes.  All too often, a favorite product can get changed without our knowledge.  Then, we're left scrambling to figure out if we like it or not.  Many formula changes don't seem to be for the better, and then it's a challenge to find an "original" formulation for sale.  

Please post what product formula changes you've noticed recently.  It can help alert others and avoid some heartache.

post.jpg

Re: Formula Changes

I was unhappy with the response from PM after I contacted them regarding my dissatisfaction if the new formula.  They responded, in part, with:

"The fastest way to resolve this would be to return the product to the retailer for a refund or exchange."

This doesn't address my issue at all, and does not resolve it in the least.

@greeneyedgirl107 - They're response is basically saying, "we don't want to hear it, now go away!"  Most companies will thank you for your feedback and "say" they will pass the information on.  This isn't a product I've used, so I can't weigh in, but I do know good customer service and that wasn't it!

@Titian06 thanks for sharing my thoughts!

I finally bought a FS bottle of ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Aging® Smoothing Anti-Frizz Blowout Butter and found the ingredients to be different from the DS I've had for the longest time.  I know this was a GWP recently.  I'm curious if the GWP was the "old" version or the "new" version.  I'll be trying my FS bottle this weekend, so I guess I'll see if I need to hunt down "old" bottles or not.  The FS seems to be a different texture than my DS.

Here's the current formulation:

Spoiler
Water/Aqua/Eau, C32-36 Isoalkyl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Butylene Glycol, Lauryl Laurate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isododecane, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-11, BIS-Cetearyl Amodimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Saccharina Longicruris Extract, Phospholipids, Caviar Extract, Superoxide Dismutase, Ascorbic Acid, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Polysilicone-15, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Trichilia Emetica Seed Butter, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Benzalkonium Chloride, Polyacrylate-1 Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Candelilla/Jojoba/Rice Bran Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol,Carthmus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Stearic Acid, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Copernicia Cerifera Cera/Cire de Carnauba, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, BIS-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance(Parfum). (10-17-717A).

Looks like the CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion formula has changed again.  

Here's the current ingredient list:

AQUA / WATER / EAU, GLYCERIN, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, NIACINAMIDE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CERAMIDE NP, CERAMIDE AP, CERAMIDE EOP, CARBOMER, DIMETHICONE, CETEARETH-20, BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE, SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, CHOLESTEROL, PHENOXYETHANOL, DISODIUM EDTA, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, PHYTOSPHINGOSINE, XANTHAN GUM, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN

I'm not sure what the formulation right before this one was.  My "old" bottle has been around for a while, and Ulta has an ingredient list that differs from it, as well as from the CeraVe website.  I thought about buying the up & up brand, but decided against.  Now, I feel like since the formula is different I just should've bought it.  Oh well.

it's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product changed their packaging a long time ago, but I thought the ingredients were the same.  Well, I was either mistaken or the formula change did not coincide with the bottle change and occurred at a later time.  

download.jpe

This is the new formula:

Spoiler
Water (Aqua,/Eau), Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Chloridealoe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Helianthus Annuusextract, Isopropyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium-80, Silk Amino Acids, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylparaben,Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Propylparaben, Sodium Benzoate,Citronellol,Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.

This is the old formula:

Spoiler
Water (Aqua,/Eau), Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Chloridealoe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Quaternium-80, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Fragrance (Parfum), Butylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Helianthus Annuss (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Isoeugenol.

The claims are also different on the bottle.

The new bottle lists it does the following instantly:

1. Inhibits dry, damaged hair

2. Adds shine

3. Detangles

4. Helps replace lost protein

5. Seals & protects hair color

6. Helps prevent split ends

8. Creates silkiness

9. Helps strengthen hair

10. Flat iron spray & thermal protector

The old bottle's claims are:

1. Repairs dry, damaged hair

2. Adds shine

3. Detangles

4. Controls frizz

5. Seals & protects hair color

6. Prevents split ends

7. Stops hair breakage

8. Creates silkiness

9. Enhances natural body

10. Flat iron spray & thermal protector.

This product is such a staple, so I'm surprised the formula changed.  I'm really curious what BICers think about the new formula.  I just ran out, so will have to wait to try the new formula.  I'm not in a panic, though, because this product was so prevalent that I'm confident I can find the "old" version.  Still, it'll be another beauty pain to have to seek out a discontinued formulation.

@greeneyedgirl107 I just tried the new version because I finally used up the old one. To me it still felt the same in my hair. 

@SportyGirly125 thanks for weighing in - I really appreciate it!  So far it's felt the same on my hair, too!  I'm hoping I will continue to feel that way.

Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer has been re-formulated.  I use this in the cold months.  I really like it, but I never hear of anyone else using it.  Of course I have at least half a bottle left but for some reason I can't get anything out of it now that I've re-visited it.  I wonder when it was changed.  

The old ingredient list:

Spoiler
Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Propanediol, Pentylene Glycol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitol, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ceramide NP, Panthenol, Caffeine, Citric Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Disodium Ethylene Dicocamide PEG-15 Disulfate, Niacinamide, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, BHT.

The new ingredient list:

Spoiler
Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Propanediol, Pentylene Glycol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil Sorbitol, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ceramide NP, Panthenol, Caffeine, Citric Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Disodium Ethylene Dicocamide PEG-15 Disulfate, Niacinamide, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, BHT, Sodium Hydroxide.

714zJTTHJpL._SY355_.jpg

It seems like Dr. Dennis Gross has made some formula changes.  For example, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL has changed.  The new formula contains:

Spoiler
Water/Aqua/Eau, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Bakuchiol, Retinol, Nephelium Lappaceum Leaf Extract, Ferulic Acid, Ubiquinone, Quercetin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Saccharide Isomerate, Phospholipids, Centella Asiatica Extract, Caffeine, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi Leaf Extract, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, Glycolic Acid, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Tetrapeptide-21, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Mandelic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Maltodextrin, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492).

The old formula contains:

Spoiler
WATER/AQUA/EAU, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ETHOXYDIGLYCOL, CENTELLA ASIATICA EXTRACT, GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT, FERULIC ACID, RETINOL, POTASSIUM AZELOYL DIGLYCINATE, ARCTOSTAPHYLOS UVA URSI LEAF EXTRACT, MORUS NIGRA FRUIT EXTRACT, SALIX ALBA (WILLOW) BARK EXTRACT, QUERCETIN, CAFFEINE, UBIQUINONE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SALICYLIC ACID, GLYCOLIC ACID, MANDELIC ACID, PANTHENOL, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, DISODIUM LAURIMINODIPROPIONATE TOCOPHERYL PHOSPHATES, LECITHIN, TETRAPEPTIDE-21, ACRYLATES/CARBAMATE COPOLYMER, DISODIUM EDTA, PVM/MA DECADIENE CROSSPOLYMER, UREA, POLYSORBATE 20, BHT, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499)

I saw recently that the amika Bust Your Brass Blonde Purple Shampoo has been reformulated.  It's not a product I use, so I can't offer much input.  But I know a friend that is hooked on it.

Stop the presses!  First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser has been re-formulated.  I can't believe it!  It's such a popular cleanser.

Here are the old ingredients:

Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Allantoin, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Pca, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, EDTA.

Here are the new ingredients: 

Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Coconut Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Stearyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium PCA, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin, Sodium Phytate, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Maltodextrin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate, Tetrasodium EDTA.

The packaging is different, too.  It's similar, but I noticed the differences right away.

I've only tried it once since receiving the new one today.  The smells is much more "soapy."  To me, it's reminiscent of Ivory soap.  I also found that it lingered.  The texture seemed similar when I squeezed some out, but once I rubbed it between my palms I could discern a difference.  The lather seemed a little thinner.  Also, this isn't a foaming cleanser, but it does foam a little in that it gets some bubbles here and there during the lather.  I found the new one was foamier.  I guess the cleansing was OK.  I did have some oil on my face and it seemed to break through it well enough.  I can't say for sure how my skin has reacted to it with only one use.  I'm also curious how well this will remove makeup.  I thought that the old one was pretty good, as long as you had realistic expectations.  I'd hate to see the new one fail in that department.

I'm curious to hear other's reactions.  I never considered this would change.  I thought it was such a staple.  I don't know of anything else like it.

Oh, I wish I had seen this last year then I wouldn't have bought 2 of them when they were on sale a month or 2 ago.😭 Lots of product is wasted when squeezing out due to the runny consistency. I thought I got a bad batch but my face also feels a tiny dry after showering ( i wash my face in the beginning.) It rinses away well enough but looks like I will have to look for another HG cleanser. Grrr. Anything with Hydrogenated in the front makes me think they are using cheap ingredients.@greeneyedgirl107 

@Buootiful - Hydrogenation means adding hydrogen molecules to an oil, which is usually liquid at room temperature, to make it more solid, spreadable, and shelf-stable.  I've not read anything that says it makes the oil inferior in skincare and makeup.  It can add transfats in processed foods so read your nutritional labels and ingredients!

@Buootiful After using this for a brief bit I can say that I really don't notice any change.  I mean, I stand by my initial reactions but now I'm used to it.  I honestly don't even know what other cleanser I would use if I didn't use this one.  So, keep with it, and see how it goes.  Tag me with your thoughts.  Best of luck!  🙂

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on this one, @greeneyedgirl107. This is one cleanser (at least the old version) that I've used often and always liked. I guess I'll have to see how the new version compares at some point. Like you though, I'm really surprised they reformulated such a popular product!

I was scrolling through the new products and fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL  came up. I clicked on it and saw it has been reformulated. I have been using this product for years and love it so I am nervous about this formula change. Has anyone tried the new version? 

I noticed that the bottle for Redken's All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment has changed.  The ingredient list looks the same on my old bottle as it does on Redken's website and Ulta's website.  However, I've had companies incorrectly list "old" formulations before.  I e-mailed Redken, and am waiting to hear.  Does anyone know for sure?  The suspense is killing me.  I'm tagging @GG84, who turned me onto this product to begin with 🙂  TIA

I'd love to know what you hear back from Redken, @greeneyedgirl107. I noticed they changed out their packaging recently and was curious about any formula changes but hadn't looked too far into it yet!

@quspork I've been catching up on my e-mails since vacation.  I saw an ad for Redken in an Ulta promotional e-mail that essentially said, "new look, same formula."  I've been having difficulty copying/pasting on BIC for some time, or else I would have posted it.  If I hear anything directly from Redken, I will let you know.  🙂

I'm having the same issues with the email notifications not going through again, @greeneyedgirl107 but hopefully that gets all ironed out once they finish up with the big update. Thanks for the Redken update from the email!

Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 340 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos7
  • post.jpg
  • 714zJTTHJpL._SY355_.jpg
  • download.jpe
  • 51gN4MeZL6L._SL1500_.jpg
  • 2603446cm_alt01.jpe
  • 20230524_185139.jpg
  • 1000003296.png