Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Formula Changes

This thread is for use to keep each other updated on product formula changes.  All too often, a favorite product can get changed without our knowledge.  Then, we're left scrambling to figure out if we like it or not.  Many formula changes don't seem to be for the better, and then it's a challenge to find an "original" formulation for sale.  

Please post what product formula changes you've noticed recently.  It can help alert others and avoid some heartache.

post.jpg

Re: Formula Changes

@quspork I will *try* to remember to tag you when I hear back.  I noticed in my Ulta catalog today that they changes all sorts of packaging, so I'm hoping it's just that - more of a "new look - same formula" sort of thing.  I'm thinking they might have just kept with the same formulas, b/c it would have been a lot of work to re-tool so many products.  But, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

P.S. - I'm not getting my e-mails when I'm tagged again (sigh!) so I will try to keep up as best as I can.  BIC is so much for fun when it's organized.

Maybe all you YYTP fans can weigh in on this.  I started using their Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL and had been wanting to try their Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil with Squalane and Antioxidants 1 oz / 30 ml for ages.  I finally got a sample (long story) and took a quick look at the ingredients just now.  Turns out, they've changed.  Seems like irritants at the end, and "natural fragrance" is now one of the top ingredients.  IDK when this happened.  At least they changed the name slightly to reflect changes.

These are the ingredients from the "old" one called Maqui + Acai Prickly Pear Goji Superberry Hydrate + Glow Oil:

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Dicapryl Carbonate, Simmondsia Chineses (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Opuntia Tuna Extract (Prickly Pear), Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract (Acai), Lycium Barbarum (Goji) Extract, Aristotelia Chilensis (Maqui) Fruit Extract, Moringa Oleifera Leaf Extract, Squalane Olive, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Flaxseed) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Oil, Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Fruit Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Natural Fragrance

And these are the ingredients from the "new" one called Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil:

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Squalane Olive, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Natural Fragrance, Aristotelia Chilensis (Maqui) Fruit Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit (Acai) Extract, Lycium Barbarum (Goji) Fruit Extract, Moringa Oleifera Leaf Extract, Opuntia Tuna (Prickly Pear) Flower/Stem Extract, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Flaxseed) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Fruit Oil, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Amylcinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool

@greeneyedgirl107 - Yes, "natural fragrance" can be anything (including irritants and allergens) and yes, those are (potential) irritants and allergens at the end of the list.  😝

I'm on my third bottle of First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum .  To my surprise, my newest bottle showed a formula change. 

The new ingredients are:

Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Soluble Collagen, Methyl Gluceth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Colloidal Oatmeal, Maltodextrin, Sodium Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Sodium PCA, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Allantoin, Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Phosphate, Tetrasodium EDTA.

The old ingredients are:

Water, Glycerin, Soluble Collagen, Methyl Gluceth-20, Colloidal Oatmeal, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Allantoin, Panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium PCA, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Maltodextrin, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Nitrate, Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Phosphate, EDTA, Glyoxal.

I haven't been able to cross-reference the ingredients yet, but a quick glance shows some significant changes.  

The bottle has also changed.  It's larger, at 1.7 ounces for $38 instead of 1 ounce for about $36.  I already dislike the larger bottle, as too much product comes out.  One of the things I liked about the other packaging is that I could get a little bit out at a time, so it lasted a very long time.  The texture of the serum feels similar, but it's a little hard to gauge given more is coming out so I have to adjust my application method.  The feel on my skin is still lightweight/barely there - which I love.  As for results, that remains to be seen!

RE: Re: Formula Changes

Super late to seeing this but I could tell the new formula is different. They took out the good stuff and moved the preservatives up to the top of the list. Sadly going to have to find something to replace this. So disappointed in Fab.

Re: RE: Re: Formula Changes

@sarahshter Have you found a good replacement, yet?  I'm still using it, but incorporated The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum to address the lack of peptides.

@greeneyedgirl107 Late to the party but what a bummer! I just started phasing the old formula into my skincare routine this year. I get laser on my face and it’s been great for the week before and after. I hope I have your luck and this bottle lasts me awhile. 

@lnum Sorry to hear that you got screwed as well!  Fingers crossed that you bottle will in fact last you a long time.  I'm going to e-mail the company and just let them know how I feel.  I know it won't change anything, but I at least like to register my dissatisfaction.  😛

@greeneyedgirl107 It absolutely matters, though, that they realize people do notice and they can’t just change ingredients without a notification. Unbelievable. 😒

FAB just confirmed that the peptides have been removed.  I didn't see them in the ingredient list, but their website was still advertising them.  When I asked them about it, they said, "We apologize for the confusion. The peptides have been removed from First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum and our E-commerce team is in the process of updating our website."

Considering that I think this change was months ago, I find this response unacceptable. 

@greeneyedgirl107  At least FAB was honest in their reply, unlike another brand I couldn't get a straight or honest "when and why did you reformulate" answer from. But sheesh, brands need to get faster/better at updating their product pages to coincide with reformulations. I'm tired of skincare companies thinking customers won't notice or care about these changes. 

Also, this change is a big bummer. Sure, the new version still contains lots of good stuff. But I recently recommended this serum to someone looking for a good single-product version of The Ordinary Buffet (which the old version of FAB's hydrating serum didn't match, of course, but at least it did have a peptide) + licorice root serum + ferment essence, so she could simplify her routine. Boo hiss, FAB! 

@WinglessOne You're right - I do appreciate that they owned up to it.   It is beyond me, though, how a company wouldn't update their website.  And you're also on the right track that brands need to give their customers more credit about noticing changes.  I've never personally experienced a product formula change that was for the better.  And I always dislike it when it's done in a sneaky way.  

This experience has cast a shadow over FAB for me.  I use their cleanser, their retinol eye cream and their .25% retinol.  Plus, I really liked that serum!  I wonder if they'll come up with a peptide serum now.  It's unfortunate to have to use more products just to get the same results, though.

@greeneyedgirl107  I've noticed more brands are starting to post blanket statements like "ingredients subject to change; check product packaging for latest ingredients" on their own sites' product pages. That ticks me off even more: not only are brands too lazy or inefficient to keep their own site info updated, they think it's okay for a customer to not know about newly added irritants/allergens (for that customer) or removed key ingredients until after said customer's ordered the product and has the box in their hands. That's 3 strikes: tweak the product for worse, don't disclose the changes on your own product page, and waste customer time & money. Sure, customers can return products to recover money spent, but it's extra effort placed on the customer instead of brands working on their own pre-sale product pages. 

The way you now feel about FAB is how I've felt about YTTP since they changed their Superfood Moisturizer. I just saw your other post about their facial oil; that's the same change they made to the moisturizer. Good luck getting an honest answer from them. I liked many things about YTTP (despite all their clear glass packaging), but I've been phasing their products out of my routine because I no longer trust them. 😞 

@WinglessOne That's so CRAZY that brands are posting such disclaimed.  You are totally correct with your three-strikes analogy!

That's a real shame about YTTP.  Honestly, I wish these companies would just leave well enough alone.  I feel like all they accomplish in changing a product is losing their loyal customer base.  I never understand that, b/c then in theory they'd have to find new customers to replace the ones they've lost - along with additional customers to make the change worth it.  I guess it must work out financially, though, b/c brands do it all the time.

@WinglessOne do you know of an alternative to the FAB? I've been looking and not having much luck 😕

@lmaster I haven't found a good alternative yet either, aside from using Buffet + 1 or 2 other products. 

Thank you @WinglessOne 

@WinglessOne What products do you use in addition to Buffet?  I recently tried Buffet again and worked it into my nighttime routine.  It was just before I discovered the FAB serum change, so I guess the timing was good as it allowed me to makeup for the peptides I was missing with the new formula.

@greeneyedgirl107  I use Buffet in the morning, though not every morning. (Sometimes I use COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum instead.) I use it after my hydrating toner/essence: either e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence or Good Molecules Niacinamide Toner (contains licorice root and yeast ferment, among other good stuff). If I do a sheet mask in the morning, I apply it right after Buffet. Each night, I use It's Skin Power 10 Li Effector for polyglutamic acid and licorice root. 

The only serum I remember seeing (back when I helped a friend look for her one-stop solution) that contained at least one peptide, humectants, licorice root, and ferments was something that also contained stuff she can't use (certain fragrance components). I don't remember the name of it or the brand... eh, I wouldn't recommend it anyway because it was overpriced, especially compared to using Buffet + anything (serum or toner/essence) containing licorice root & ferments. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for the detailed reply!  The COSRX Cica has been on my radar since you mentioned it a while back.  I'm waiting for it to come to Ulta.  And I do normally use the e.l.f. essence - I decided to buy it after reading some of your posts.  (My skin has been a little weird lately - I think due to weather change - so I scaled back on it for now.)  I've been interested in Good Molecules, but it isn't sold anywhere I shop.  I was going to just buy some direct, but never got around to it.  And I am intrigued by the It's Skin Power 10 Li Effector since seeing you post a pic.  For some reason the visual really appealed to me!

Why on earth would an ingredient like this be removed @greeneyedgirl107 @lmaster ? I am a little confused....makes absolutely no sense.

Conversation Stats
  • 73 replies
  • 339 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos6
  • post.jpg
  • 714zJTTHJpL._SY355_.jpg
  • download.jpe
  • 51gN4MeZL6L._SL1500_.jpg
  • 2603446cm_alt01.jpe
  • 20230524_185139.jpg
testing