Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

All about backups (and backups of the backups)

For the last year I have really tried to stop buying so much of anything beauty related since it amassed to more than I can use in a timely manner.  

Which leads me to questions about backups.  I consider a backup a product  an identical product or one I have more than one of that serves the same purpose, e.g. having several face washes that help acne, yet they are different in brand or having several face masks that are moisturizing.

I did an inventory and I see that i tend to hoard face washes and toners, and I have an abundancy of face masks, even though many of them serve the exact same purpose, and usage depends on how I feel or what I consider my fav at the moment.

Here are my questions for you:

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

3.  How many backups is too many?

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

What did I leave out?

Re: All about backups (and backups of the backups)

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product? I typically have 1 backup of a product I really enjoy.

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? Cleansing oil. The burt's bees one isn't sold at ulta anymore, so I need to go search to see if target and walmart still sell it.

3.  How many backups is too many? For me, it'd be 3-5. Or what would equate to me not opening or using it in the year I bought it.

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? I have about 15 eyeshadow palettes. They all have their uses, I swear!

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? Eyeshadow haha.

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? The bite beauty multisticks. I tried to buy a backup of brioche to use while I tried to find a replacement. It was already moldy though, so I couldn't use it.

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? The bite beauty multisticks. Bite beauty's luminous creme lipstick in cin cin.

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) I wait until I know I have a few weeks left of product use, or if there is a sale.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? I keep it all of the backups in a large makeup bag. I thankfully haven't had the issue of room, but depending on the product I would either find the room or wait until I had the space.

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?- I try to stick to only one backup of only repurchases which are essentially only holy grail status products for me. I like to constantly try new things so keeping tons of backups of the same product would deter me from venturing out.

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?- Only holy grail status products like my Beautyblender, KAPLAN MD Lip Mask, Too Faced Born This Way Concealer, Estee Lauder Double Wear.

3.  How many backups is too many?- 5 of something. Although 5 is too many, I am guilty of having more than 5 backups of certain products *nervous laugh*

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?- Confession time: I like to hoard Beautyblenders. I take advantage of sales and buy the Beautyblender sets every time I see them on sale. If I had to guess how many Beautyblender backups I had right now, I would say the number is around 20. I also go crazy with buying body washes and hand soaps during BBW's semi annual sales and I have about 20 backups of body washes and hand soaps.

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?- BEAUTYBLENDERS!

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?- None. I don't regret my slight obsession with beautyblenders.

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?- KAPLAN MD Lip Mask. It's no longer at Sephora and that's where I discovered it initially. It's only available on their direct website. Same goes for my Sand & Sky products.

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)- I buy before the last one is opened. I usually wait for sales to take advantage of picking up backups for a cheaper price.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?- I have backups in some of the vanity drawers, closet drawers, closet boxes, linen closet drawers, under bathroom sink, downstairs storage closet. I have stopped buying backups because I feel like I am running out of storage space in my house plus I want to actually start using up what I own.

Hi @gonerogue,

I suffer from the same addiction to BEAUTYBLENDER - the original beautyblender® I love them!

Best,
Rebecca

@RebeccaBT  Glad I’m not the only one! It’s hard for me to resist a sale on beauty blenders since they are a staple in my makeup routine 🤷🏼‍♀️

Beautyblenders are such a great HG @gonerogue! I forgot about tools completely when thinking about backups!

@haleyvvvv  Beauty blenders are the first thing that pop in my mind when I think of the words “backups” and “hoarding” lol 😩

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?  I keep up to two backups of skincare and stopped buying backups of makeup a while back unless I was buying for collecting purposes.  

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? I certainly don’t panic but I like to have an extra ole lemon strip flash peel on hand at a times.  Also farmacy green clean.  

3.  How many backups is too many? It depends on how quickly you go through a product.  Two of anything is usually sufficient to get a person through til the next sale. 

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?  Mostly many of the same type of product.  Haha, i love that you just assume we’re hoarding stuff.  😅 it’s true but funny. 

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?  Ole lemon strip flash peel

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?  Oh my gosh, haha, the Mac giambatista lipsticks are a regret.  

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? Meh, I don’t like to think about it. 

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?). I will usually buy a backup if once been using something religiously for a couple weeks and it’s limited edition.  Or if it’s limited edition and I don’t want to mar the first one. 

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?  In my makeup room with all the other makeup... and in a bin.  I usually do a declutter so I can fit it into the collection if it’s getting too full.   

2 currently but I had 4 at one point.

DE Protini 

I’m trying to cut back on backups so 3

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

The same product.

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

DE Protini and IT cosmetics powder foundation.

Farmacy cleansing balm.

None that I can think of.

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

Usually when I open the last one. Unless there is a sale.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

I have a bin in my closet

FBEA4753-7DC7-4092-B696-4DD9256B5A90.jpeg

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product? I am a back up kinda girl lol. I am moving soon and packing up my stuff. I had a back up of my favorite contour palette which I recently had to move into rotations and now need another one of. Kevyn Aucoin The contour book Vol. 2 which apparently isn't at Sephora now so make that a few back ups I need from Beautylish. I packed up an entire card board box of house of lashes plus a small collectors case of Velour silk lashes and two witches and wizard collection lashes. Red, blue, green and yellow lashes from Elegant lashes to represent the Harry Potter houses. A bunch of eyeliners, trial sized mascaras, beauty blenders ect. 

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? I am pretty paranoid about that contour book right no lol. I have so many products as far as makeup goes that its mostly skin care and cleansers. Makeup wipes oils balms to remove stuff makes me get worked up when I am low. 

3.  How many backups is too many? My lash collection is probably ...most likely.... certainly beyond necessary. House of lashes had a bunch of sales and I was obsessed with lashes at that point and went a little nuts.  I probably have enough lashes till I am 40. they last a long time if you take good care of them.

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? Yeah lol

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? Retin-A even the most talented painter always start with a great canvas. 

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? Mascara every time I see those Sephora Favorites kits I'm like yeah so many for the price of one and they added up fast. I hope they are all still good but who knows. Plus I found one that really dos it all for me and now the others are just there.

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? Bobbi Brown limited edition Pink shimmer brick its has an emblem on the package and says Bobbi Brown Est. 1991 It's described as a soft pink glow but even on my fair skin is an icy highlight. So pretty and has the biggest dip in my collection. Hitting pan hurts. 

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) When i find a product i am obsessed with a buy a few. Otherwise it always seems to be gone when I come back around. RIP Armani Mania *Cries*

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? I have a back up drawer. I have the self made Ikea Alex drawer style vanity and I use the bottom drawer of the 9 drawers to put back ups in. Low drawers least opened seemed like a good place.

Very cool topic. I've recently changed my views and have been buying less backups. I'm curious how I will end the year because right now I have a stash of products.

I am trying to tone down the number of backups I have. My high is 2 backups while using the same product.

I really like hyaluronic acid serum and that was what I tended to stockpile the most.

2 is my max. Even that is sometimes a lot to have depending on how long it takes to use the product.

I don't tend to hoard until I find a product I really like. So it would be the exact same product. Though right now I have a lot of serums that do similar functions. Each have some differences so I don't think they are the "same."

5.  What's the one product you will never let run out?

Probably moisturizer or cleanser. Those are essentials for skincare.

Shampoo. A while ago I was heavy into couponing and had enough product for years. I have two huge things of shampoo I haven't touched that I'm thinking I'll repurpose for shaving my legs.

I remember really enjoying the Maybelline Dream Mousse products - foundation and blush but they were discontinued. Not that a backup for a product made in 2010 would be good now anyway.

I've been tracking product uses and am trying to do it when I'm midway through the last one. In the past I would buy way before opening the last one. If a deal/coupon would be available when the last product hasn't been opened, I would consider a backup depending on the length of usage and savings.

Backups are under the sink or in an over john cabinet. The space in the over john cabinet was crowded with hair products which motivated me to rethink buying backups.

Hindsight: I went into this answering about skincare. I guess I have a ton of mascara minis, many of which were gifts, and I don't think of them as backups.

Nice job repurposing your backups you regret, @ShortErica!

Thanks @haleyvvvv!

What a fun post!

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product? 3!

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? Limited edition lipsticks get me every time!

3.  How many backups is too many? 6, I guess it depends on the product and how much I like it

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? Yes! It is always a limited edition lipstick, I am always afraid of running out and not finding a perfect dupe.

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? Face wash PTR

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? Blushes! I have yet to run out of any blush

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? Limited edition bronzerSmiley Sad

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) I buy it all at once

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? I store it in clear bins!

<3 Melissa

Ah ha, @melissabt reading your post made me realize I had to get a GWP bag with Paaarty blush in it and regret it. I really like the shade but haven't even hit pan on my first mini.

Hope they bring back that limited edition bronzer for you!

FUN! 

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product? I generally only have 1 back up of my go to products 

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder and CLARINS - Lotus Face Treatment Oil and DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum

3.  How many backups is too many? When they go bad before you can use them 

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? Generally no - I have my go tos I know I'll rebuy - everything else I get bored too easily haha 

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? CLARINS - Lotus Face Treatment Oil

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? I got a little too excited when the benefit brow products were half off at ulta last year - I haven't even finished the original one I had when I bought the sale items haha 

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? Nothing comes to mind - I do have a limited edition lancome lip tint that I have a backup of, but I'll be super sad when I use both - it's the perfect pink lip stain

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) Usually during sales rather than when I open or am using something 

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? in a bin in my closet - good to keep them in a cool dark place 

Ooooh, that Clarins oil seems lovely, makes sense you never let it run out, @Kim888!

Ooo that is fun! So here it is

1: How many backups do I have of a product?
Well as of now I have 6 backups of my BBW Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating hand cream.

2: Eye Cream, I always buy next eye cream either same or a different I want to try shortly afterward I start a jar. 
3: Depends on the product, if it is something I use a lot like hand cream there is nothing like too many backups but any other product I usually consider one backup is enough.

4: Again both, if my tried and tested product is on sale I would buy a couple. Otherwise I just pick something new in the same category.

5:Cleansers: though I always have a bunch of deluxe sized cleanser for emergencies but I prefer to get backups of my regular cleansers way before they are about to finish.

6: I have picked many different acid based peels/exfoliants without considering if I’ll be able to use them all before they go bad. All of them are great products on their own but just too many to use simultaneously.

7: Stila CC Cream. It was my most favourite base product ever and their Medium shade was the perfect match for my skin tone. 
8: Mostly when I open the last one but sometimes if I see something that I wanted to try is on a great deal, I make exception and pick it even before I open the last one in that category I have.

9: I have large labeled boxes to store the backups of each type of products, this way it is easy for me to keep a track of what I have in my inventory.

@fatimamummy are your boxes labeled with like all the products in them? I'm always curious about people's storage and inventory process.

I'm sorry the Stila CC cream isn't available anymore!

@haleyvvvv  Here is a part of my backups I keep them in labeled boxes at the very top shelf of a closet, so they are out of way but I can still keep a track of how much in each category I have sitting around.

16C8F349-D1AD-4A12-A1E0-13AF5C895CE3.jpeg

Thank you @makeupobesessed for starting this thread and @averylayne for refreshing it!

1. How many backups do you have of any one product?

Maybe a few, of things I've gotten across subscription boxes, multiple kits, rewards or GWP, but no full size multiples. I have few full size multiples of the same products.

I do have tons of backups for each TYPE of products though.

2. What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

If I didn't have sunscreen or makeup remover.

3. How many backups is too many?

Eh, it depends on $, space and interest. Too many is when stuff starts to go bad from not using it.

4. Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

Definitely many of the same type of product.

5. Whats the one product you will never let run out?

It's hard to pick just one. But I would try not to run out of sunscreen, moisturizer or cleanser and makeup remover.

6. What product do you have backups for that you regret?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, especially cause I'm mostly working through not full sizes, so its quick to get through. Sometimes I really want to try a different project, but if a product isn't causing harm, I have a hard time passing it over for something else.

7. What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

Blissfully, this hasn't happened to me. Maybe slight changes in formulas, but overall largely the same product.

8. When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

Hahahahahahaha. All the time. When's there a good GWP I buy things on my loves list to add to my stash. Or when there's a good reward, I'll add to basket. Or in monthly subscription boxes. I will say, I'm still trying to find what combination works best for my skin, so I'm testing all of the things. Once I settle on a holy grail for a particular type, I'd probably just buy when the last one was opened or a good sale.

9. Where do you store the backups? Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

I have a large shelving unit in my closet, where all different types of products are stored separately, and I pull when I'm close to running out. I keep my lipstick stash in the bathroom. I keep my night product stashes on my night table so I don't have to go digging at night. When I get new items they're stored on my desk until sorting.

What did I leave out?

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

79 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.59.43 AM.png
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • IMG_0018.jpg
  • 812B2A80-38C6-447F-8E58-C402041A01B6.jpg
  • E5F64340-2BF6-497C-8251-07D048916112.jpg
  • FBEA4753-7DC7-4092-B696-4DD9256B5A90.jpeg