Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

What can I use to get rid of blackheads and dark spots?

I've been having trouble breaking out since I was you the acne has spread to my upper chest and back along with my shoulders, my sideburn area, chin, and cheeks. Are there any products that you all can recommend for me and others with the same situation?

Re: What can I use to get rid of blackheads and dark spots?

Panoxyl is a really great product for facial and body acne. It has helped clear my skin when it comes to my hormonal and cystic acne. You can find this at target/Walmart 

Use this makeup foundation for both face, body! Get uniform coverage and an even perfected finish that will last all day.

@lavenderlyn14  What's your current skincare routine (brands + product names)? Do you currently use any acne-fighting products? 

Here are 2 of the usual go-to ingredients for blackheads, plus 1 that's also good for hyperpigmentation:  

Spoiler
Salicylic acid (BHA) - A leave-on product can help with many forms of acne. A cult favorite is Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 4 oz/ 118 mL ; for my particularly reactive skin, I use Paula's Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid 4 oz/ 118 mL . Paula's Choice has products containing 2%, 4%, and 9% BHA. Not everyone needs the 4% or 9%; good ol' 2% is effective for many people. For acne on your back, consider Paula's Choice CLEAR Acne Body Spray (Sephora doesn't carry it, but PC direct does of course): that's a 2% BHA leave-on that comes in a spray bottle that works when held at any angle. 

You can also try a BHA cleanser. After lathering up the cleanser, you'll have to let it sit on your skin for a few minutes so the BHA has time to do its job. Then you can rinse it off. When I get back acne, I use either Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Acne Cleanser 6 oz/ 177 mL (contains just 0.5% BHA; I use this when I'm also going to apply a leave-on BHA product to my back), The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml (2% BHA), or CeraVe Acne Control Cleanser (also 2% BHA). 

Azelaic acid - Fights acne-causing bacteria and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (such as dark marks left behind by acne). I like to apply it to active acne; this clears the acne a bit quicker and reduces the PIH usually left behind. You can get a 20% Rx from a doctor, or try an OTC 10% product. My favorite OTC is Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL which also contains 0.5% BHA. I also like FaceTheory Lumizela Azelaic Acid Serum, which has a milky consistency. (The PC product has a cream texture.) You can also try The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream . 

Clay masks - These can loosen blackhead plugs and draw out excess oil. You don't have to use it on your whole face; since I have mostly-dry combo skin, I usually apply a clay mask only to the area(s) that need it, like my oily zone or an area with active acne (usually my jawline). You can also apply a clay mask to your back and shoulders, and then remove it with a wet washcloth or microfiber cloth or rinse it off in the shower. My favorite clay masks are Origins Mini Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL , Paula's Choice Pore Clarifying Charcoal Mask (contains clay and charcoal), and The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . 

If you've already tried several acne-fighting ingredients and nothing seems to work on your acne, then it's time to see a dermatologist or your primary care doctor for a diagnosis and personalized treatment plan. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing