Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

I am starting accutane and have heard horror stories...what kind of foundation should I use? Any advice on skin care? I usually use Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, but I have a feeling it may not be enough soon?

Tags:

RE: Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

When I was on accutane the only foundation that was hydrating enough for my was the neutrogena hydro boost foundation. Light coverage but everything else looked sooo dry on me. Fair warning, it oxidizes

Re: Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

I was on accutane last year and I did not wear foundation because my skin was HELLLLAA DRY! 

I did have a wedding to go to and for that I used Kat Von D's tattoo foundation, it was okay but I had to use an oil based serum first to not look too patchy. 

Use a BB cream while you're on it. 

@SavSav7 I took Accutane about fifteen years ago, so unfortunately I don't have much advice about products. I do, however, highly recommend one of my favorite YouTubers, thataylaa, who just finished her Accutane journey. She posted quite frequently about how Accutane changed her skin and the new makeup and skincare she started using. Good luck! 

Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

Yikes! Two things, 1. Be very careful taking the accutane, if that medication is your last resort, then please be cautious of your behavior and emotions - try not to take it for more than 4 months. If you're able to try other medication, do so PRIOR to resorting to accutane. 2. Estee Lauder has discontinued that line of foundation...I've been in search of a replacement for the past couple months, spent more money than I wanted to; unfortunately, nothing compares 😞

In terms of skin care- I'd recommend the Drunk Elephant gel moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. Maybe Cerave lotion as well. You could add a hydrating serum or toner to add moisture in that way without breaking you out. I agree with everyone who said it basically stinks but the results are worth it. I was on it a few times and it's worth toughing it out. I don't think I really wore makeup during it except concealer, but that was more because I didn't know how to at the time. Now I'm not sure what I would do. I think I would have wished for my younger self to have a foundation like Armani Power Fabric-- great coverage but sits close to the skin. It's not hydrating though so it could stick to dry patches. I'm not sure what the best solution is makeup wise, you'll probably have to experiment. Good luck! @SavSav7

I've been on Zenatane, a form of accutane and ever since I have been using Clinique Acne solutions liquid makeup. It's oil free, has salicylic acid, helps with redness and will not make you break out! It's a great product, it's not heavy and has buildable coverage.

Re: RE: Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

Ask your doctor if this is okay. Some doctors do not recommend topicals like salicylic acid while on accutane

RE: Re: RE: Starting Acutane...what foundation should I go on?

That is true, doc knows best, however the salicylic acid in the liquid foundation is .5% which is a small amount compared to most face washes that have 2%.

I took acutane years ago and honestly not using anything was the best option. Your face gets so dang dry that trying to cover with makeup just makes it look worse and no moisturizer in the world will help since it's medicine drying you from the inside out. But it did do wonders for my cystic acne. Stick through it, it's a tough road but the results are amazing. Good luck!

I don't know what type of skin you have currently, but if...

I don't know what type of skin you have currently, but if you have oily skin prepare to say goodbye. Don't use anything mattifying unless you moisturize really well before hand. I would stock up on some lip chaps/scrubs if you haven't already, as normally chapped lips are the first side effect that will probably drive you nuts. The estee Lauder foundation should work fine imo maybe with a dewy primer or setting spray to help out if needed and a spot concealer for the breakouts, you don't want to go to insanely heavy to cover what is going to be bad acne, although you may not have the most "full-coverage/flawless" face during this time, don't stress, before you know it your skin will be clearer than ever. Ps. Good luck on your journey with Accutane - I'm 2 months in. Chapped lips is the worst.

You actually want to moisturize very well because you're about to get very very dry! I have severe eczema on my face with lots of redness, and I recommend Chanel Les Beiges and the Nars radiant creamy concealer! Best of the luck!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing