cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not youโ€™re a resolution-maker, thereโ€™s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a โ€œfresh startโ€ ๐Ÿงผ and while weโ€™re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesnโ€™t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how youโ€™re practicing different types of self-care โ€“ they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesnโ€™t speak to you โ€“ by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! ๐Ÿค—

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBDโ€ฆ) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good nightโ€™s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine โ—€

Hit the reply button below and let us know โ€“ how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Donโ€™t forget to tag any products youโ€™re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the โ€œ#โ€ sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

@CynthieLu I never thought the material of my pillowcase would make a difference but Iโ€™m glad a bought a silk one too! I tend to sleep on my side and itโ€™s a nice treat for my face. ๐Ÿ˜

I love mine too! @JoSometimes It's a splurge but totally worth it โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜„โ€Œ

I'm handwashing mine forever so it lasts lol

@CynthieLu hmmm, I've given the The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + Hyaluronic Acid Scalp Serum 60ml the sideeye but haven't actually tried it; maybe I should...

I loooovvee the #The Ordinary Mini Multi Peptide Hair Density Serum 1 oz / 30 mL but I haven't tired thier hair hylaronic serum yet, I do have dry hair, lol it might be beneficial to me โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜‹โ€Œ

@CookieGirl1 I've heard how Hylaronic Acid works well on hair though โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜โ€Œ I've thought about trying it too

Itโ€™s such a great feeling when you find the right products for your hair and scalp @CynthieLu

Oooh yes @itsfi it's soo good ๐Ÿ˜

@CynthieLu Great tips! Thanks for sharing. I have been using a satin pillow case, and I think it is really helpful. Do you sleep with your hair up or down?

I switch it up @Mellmars1185 I sleep with it up alot in the summer just due to the heat, but in the winter it depends if it's getting in my way or off I'm wearing a moisturizing sleep mask ๐Ÿ˜‹

I think sleeping in a braid would be more hair healthy but it's an extra step I haven't ever committed to. What do you do with your hair at night?

@CynthieLu I actually sleep with a clip a lot. I know it doesn't sound comfortable. I am a side/stomach sleeper, so it doesn't really bother me. The clip usually doesn't leave a kink in my hair, that is why i like to wear it. I used to braid my hair sometimes but fell out of that habit. If all else fails, I wear it down. I bought a satin sleeping cap to wear, but the elastic leaves an indent on my forehead.

I find that clips don't leave marks either, I use them to hold up my hair at night too ๐Ÿ˜„ @Mellmars1185  or a silk or satin scruchie. If it's high up enough on my head I can move my head around while I sleep without anything interfering with my sleep.

Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine
Self Care Week 8 - Scalp Care.jpg
I don't use all of these products weekly - some are part of a monthly rotation while others are on an as-needed basis - but these beauties have been helping to keep my scalp healthy and happy.

Regular Use:
OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL # (gratis) - daily use is recommended but my usage isn't always so frequent. It ranges from every day to every other day or every third day. My scalp gets pretty dry in the winter and itchy too. Since I started using this serum late last year, I've noticed that my scalp feels more moisturized and a lot less itchy. I also noticed, to my great delight, that on the mornings I use this, there's a little extra fullness and lift to my hair (at the crown, where I'm in the most need of extra volume).

K18 Biomimetic Hairscience Mini PEPTIDE PREPโ„ข Clarifying Detox Shampoo 1.8 oz / 53 mL and the K18 Biomimetic Hairscience Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  too (not pictured). I've been reaching for this pair about every 7-14 days. I've been loving the results from this dynamic duo. The detox shampoo does a lovely job of making my hair and scalp feel cleansed and clarified, all without making it feel dry, stringy or stripped of its oils. The mask is amazing! I love how quickly it works - it takes just 4 minutes to activate once applied and I can leave it in my hair. I notice that my hair looks soft and shiny, with an all over fullness and bounce to it on the day (and a couple days after as well) that I use these products

Occasional Use

In the Testing Phase
I've been testing the Ceremonia Aceite de Moska Pre-Shampoo Scalp & Hair Oil 2 oz / 60 mL # as a pre-shampoo oil, some days with the SEPHORA COLLECTION Silicone Scalp Massager for a little extra pampering and so far, so good. My hair feels soft, looks shiny and healthy and is clear of product build up. I like that this can also be applied and left on overnight; I haven't used it that way ... yet, but plan to soon

@itsfi This routine is fantastic, it changes when your hair needs something different. I think that's great. ๐Ÿ˜„

I bought a scalp massager but I'm not sure how to use it best, I feel like like I do a better job with my fingers lol

Thanks so much @CynthieLu! Iโ€™m still working on coming up with a โ€œsetโ€ routine of HG products and a few testers but Iโ€™ve been happy with what Iโ€™ve used. I only started on scalp care the last few years. All thanks to the beauties on BIC and @TeamBIC. As a result, my hair (and scalp) have been the healthiest I can remember. ๐Ÿฅฐ

Love it! ๐Ÿ˜„@itsfi Scalp health is something that wasn't on my radar until the last few years either, and it's been so lovely and refreshing. Who knew good hair days can be greatly improved with a little scalp love ๐Ÿฅฐ

I have tried to let the pandemic give me time to give my hair a break from flat ironing.  I just wish I had started much, much sooner.  I don't have any particular scalp issues, but I have difficult hair.  

Redken's All Soft Mega Shampoo has been life changing.  My hair is so much more relaxed looking.  It's softer, shinier and sleeker.  It makes me think that once I get a hair cut, I could rely on my flat iron less once I want to go back to it.

Redken All Soft Heavy Cream is a staple and continues to work wonders.

For styling, I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Treatment, Phytodefrisant, ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Agingยฎ Smoothing Anti-Frizz Blowout Butter  John Frieda Extra Strength Frizz Ease on the ends.

I've been dabbling in new hair oils to put on my dry hair, and have been using Redken Frizz Dismiss Oil in Serum.  I like it well enough, although scents of hair oils bother me and this one is no different.  I just bought shu uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Hair Oil 5 oz/ 150 mL and have used it once.  The results were amazing!  My hair was sleek, shiny, glossy.  It didn't even look like my hair.  I'm actually nervous to try it again b/c I'm afraid this was a one-off and I just got a really, really good hair day.  We'll see!  

I also try to take care day to day, which means sleeping in a Grace Eleyae The Original Slap | Satin Lined Cap Grey each night, using a wide toothed comb (I upgraded from my old Conair one to The Hair Edit and it was well worth the $11 or so).  I also only wash my hair once a week.  My fave dry shampoo is the loose powder by Klorane.

Growing out hair damage is a long process @Anonymous7 You are on your way to healthier hair now โ€Œโญโ€Œ

I tried a sample of #shu uemura Color Lustre Sulfate-Free Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair 10 oz/ 300 mL and it was fabulous, I can picture thier oil being amazing too ๐Ÿคฉ Let us know if it keeps performing?

@CynthieLu It sure is!  I've been at it pretty actively for about a year, so I guess I have about six inches of headway.  I will most certainly be posting about the shu uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Hair Oil 5 oz/ 150 mL in the future.  I guess it'll be in next month's favorites or misses!  Fingers crossed!

BTW, I haven't gotten all your tags.  I think some of them have gone to GreenEyedGirl10 instead of greeneyedgirl107.  I find a good way to check is to watch for my avatar to pop up: the Krupp diamond owned by Elizabeth Taylor.

@greeneyedgirl107  @Just testing to see if you get my tag or not since @CynthieLu said she has been tagging you. 

@SportyGirly125 received!  โค๏ธ 

This is a strange glitch โ€Œ๐Ÿค”โ€Œ I select your name and photo and the tag still comes up wrong, I think you should report it to @TeamBIC on the community feed back page.

Even if I type it out fully, so your tag, image and handle are the only one on the list and select it, it still comes out as the other person @Anonymous7

@CynthieLu thanks for being diligent with following up with me on this.  I will mention it to BIC later on today because I don't want to miss your tags!   โค๏ธ 

843 Replies
testing