cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not you’re a resolution-maker, there’s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a “fresh start” 🧼 and while we’re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how you’re practicing different types of self-care – they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesn’t speak to you – by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! 🤗

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBD…) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine ◀

Hit the reply button below and let us know – how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Don’t forget to tag any products you’re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the “#” sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Let’s set some beauty intentions!

@eshoe What a great routine. It sounds like you are really in tune with what works for you. That is such a smart idea to have a skincare diary. There are so many factors that can contribute to skin flare-ups. 

@Mellmars1185 it is most helpful for keeping me in check from over-exfoliating. A few years ago, before keeping one, I over-cleansed and exfoliated my skin to the point that my cheeks had literal cracks. It was a wake up call, for sure. Now when I have a sudden whim to do something crazy like try out a new peel, I check my diary to make sure I have not recently dermaplaned or used an acidic toner/sleeping mask the night before. My skin is in much better shape, but it has taken patience and time ☺️

@eshoe Thank you for sharing. I have definitely used products when I shouldn't have. I used to not necessarily think before using a product, thinking it would 'solve' my skin concerns. I had the best intentions but was not as mindful as I am now. I don't have a specific example but I know i have burned my skin with chemicals . I think a journal would take it to the next level. I like writing things down like grocery lists and meal planning. Even knowing what i eat or what time of month it is might even be contributing factors. You are right. With time and patience good things come. Sometimes those 'negative' experiences teach us the most and steer us in the right direction.

Yes, GREAT point about other contributing factors, @Mellmars1185!

I absolutely love making lists, too, which is probably why this was an easy project for me to undertake.  

81801D1E-EDDC-42AB-99AC-68D19FBCEA12.gif

This is fabulous information, @eshoe! Thank you for taking the time to share your routine! 

Oh wow, thank you, @curlychiquita! It was certainly fun to do, and I still feel like I left so much out. 

A skincare diary is such a great idea @eshoe!

I love mine, @faeriegirl! It is also fun to look back and see what products I have kept in my rotation. And which have been tossed🧐

@eshoe   Would please tell me what you like about the Farmacy Niacinamide and the Fresh Tea Elixir?  Thank you! 💕

@Ispend2much6 

A9CB80D4-41AD-4748-93D8-5153286DAD2D.jpeg

The Fresh, well…the milky rich serum and the scent, which is cucumber/white tea (reminds me of the Bvlgari White Tea, although not as strong). It also feels soothing on my skin and absorbs quickly.

The Farmacy feels like a gel/balm hybrid, but does not leave my skin feeling greasy like Honey Savior. It does not feel like something is just ‘sitting’ on my skin, and of course the shade is soothing. I know, I am a sucker for pretty colors and scents. But also - my cheeks are never taut in the morning. Which makes for better blush application! Hope that helps.

@eshoe  Thank you for the info!  Does the Farmacy one have a scent?  I think I could use that one.

@Ispend2much6 no, the Farmacy does not have a scent. It is also in a glass jar, so it does not have that residual plastic-y scent some products can take on when housed in other containers. 

I went through a promo size sample of this before committing to the full size, but I knew I love it the very first time I tried it. I think there is a foil in the ALLTHECLEAN sampler right now…in case there was anything else you were eyeing 😉

BE56A8BF-06A9-427A-8710-38657F5168BB.jpeg

Thank you friend! @eshoe 

@TeamBIC i love having this accountability - it makes it more motivating to stick with habits and reach goals!

i'm usually pretty good with my skincare routine (with the help of many product suggestions from here, as well as challenges like the Mask of the Week Challenge!), but what i've started being more diligent about, and would like to stick with is skin-cycling! ive dabbled with it in the past, but wasnt always sticking with it. i also had to take some time off because i way overdid it with the acids and my skin was not having any of that!

here is my current night routine/schedule (always looking for suggestions or recommendations! there is always room for improvement 😊). Specific products in the spoiler.

• Daily - Makeup remover, cleanser, micellar water, hydrating toner, [active], moisturizer, sleeping mask (as needed)
  • Sunday - acne and dermatitis care day! i have a prescription cream from my derm (it isnt a tretinoin) for these concerns. i've mostly solved these issues, so once a week is enough just to keep anything that wants to pop up at bay! it also is a little drying, so i follow up with a thicker moisturizer.
  • Monday - rest day. the derm cream is drying, so ill do a hydrating serum instead of an active, and always use a sleeping mask for maximum recovery
  • Tuesday and Thursday - retinol. i've been exploring retinol alternatives as well because i believe retinol is not pregnancy safe. not currently expecting, but i want to see what works and what doesnt
  • Wednesday - brightening. i have a few products i like for this, and they have different actives, but this is what i focus on wednesdays (in conjunction with my morning niacinamide)
  • Friday - chemical exfoliation
  • Saturday - another rest day, similar to monday

Spoiler
makeup removers: CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover  , Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 
micellar water: Garnier micellar water, Caudalie Vinoclean Cleansing Micellar Water , Laneige Brightening Cleansing Water (discontinued unfortunately)
hydrating toner: First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Toner , Frudia Pomegranate Moisturizing Toner, LANEIGE Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer 5.0 oz/ 150 mL 
moisturizer - First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration , La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5, LANEIGE Water Bank Blue Hyaluronic Cream Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 
sleeping mask - LANEIGE Cica Sleeping Mask and LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask with Squalane 2.3 oz/ 70 mL , Drunk Elephant F-Balm™ Electrolyte Waterfacial Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 
actives - Herbivore Moon Fruit 1% Bakuchiol + Peptides Retinol Alternative Serum 1 oz / 30 ml Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Night Cream 1.6 oz/ 50 mL Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Intensive Exfoliating Treatment Mini & Mighty Kit , Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair night cream, Caudalie Premier Cru Anti Aging Cream Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 

I love how much thought and care you've

out into your routine @cianni. It’s awesome that it’s helped with the ailments you’ve experienced with your skin. Good luck moving forward, I hope you’ll continue to see great results and balanced skin!

@bakeamuffin thank you! having a tried-and-true routine set up this way also makes it easier to introduce new products, because i can tell right away if something isnt working or causing a reaction!

Great routine @cianni and very organized 👌 I love it 😃

I try to do retinols on specific days but I don't always keep to my plans, I love your system and it encourages me to maybe build a more organized approach 😄

@CynthieLu thank you! i totally feel you on the sticking with a routine. its hard at first. for the first few months i kept all my products lined up on my counter labeled with the day i was supposed to use it in sharpie! im happy to have that clutter off my counter but it definitely helped build the habit!

@cianni  Great routine!! I love how you have each day broken down! I do the same with my schedule I use retinols 2 days a week and I try to mask more during the winter months to help keep moisture in!! 

@ather yess!! skincare twins 💕

@cianni Great routine. Sounds like you have found a routine that works for you. I am still on a skincare journey - trying to find what works. I really like the laneige cica sleeping mask!

2 Replies
testing