Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses: August 2020

This is a thread for us to discuss products that unfortunately didn't work out so well for us this August.  It could be a sample that you had the benefit of trying, but wouldn't ever purchase.  Or, it could be a full size product that you regret.  And of course it could be anything in between - like an item that you used to love but just stopped being effective  The key is to have fun with this, so that we feel less frustrated when something doesn't meet our expectations.

best in beauty 2016 v2.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: August 2020

Oh man!! That's a bummer @sprocketta 😣

I know this product is loved by many, but Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g just did not work for my skin. I only used it a few times, and each time I'd get little tiny bumps/pimples - and that almost never happens to me. I think this mask is refreshing and hydrating, so I can see why people would like it, but it's just not for me.

I do LOVE the Summer Fridays Overtime Mask though - it's definitely a top favorite of mine!

Another miss for me would be First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. It feels nice after applying, but no matter what foundation I use on top it pills up. It may be okay to use as a moisturizer, but just doesn't seem to work for priming.

@Shosh85 yeah I wasn't a fan of the FAB..for me it was like pick a lane, moisturizer or primer and I didn't feel like it was a strong contender in either category 🤷‍♀

Agreed, @ShortErica @Shosh85!! So much pilling and not a great moisturizer.

My miss for August is Holifrog tashmoo waterlily nourishing milky face wash. I had saw so many great reviews so I got it during the Dermstore sale. It smells terrible. It was so overwhelming I had to return it. 

@faeriegirl  Thank you for sharing this one. IG is all raving about this cleanser and I was very curious to know if it is actually that good.

Bummer, @faeriegirl , but thank you for sharing. I have been curious about the brand in general but haven’t tried anything yet.

@faeriegirl  Aww darn. I hate when that happens!

I'm feeling iffy about Hyper Skin Clear serum AND Fenty Skin Fat Water.  It's been about 2.5 weeks trying to suss out if I'm sensitive to them as well to see any improvement to my skin.  I definitely want to give it a full month because I think I hit the hormonal acne part of the month when I tested them, so that week is kind of bunk. AND, I was testing them where my mask covers up my face, which I now think was a mistake. 

Now I'm trying the fat water on a larger part of my face and where the pores are large to see if it helps.  The hyper skin I tried on hormonal acne, sometimes it looks like it worked, other times, I'm not so sure.  The fact that I'm not seeing a difference in either direction is bugging me.

Tagging @WinglessOne  and @lmaster and @lindseyyfaye and @haleyvvvv  because y'all were interested.  I was hoping for better, but oh well, stay tuned.

Thank you for sharing this review and for the tag, @danielledanielle!! I'm sorry it isn't working for you.

Thanks for the update @danielledanielle ! Hopefully you'll see more results after a full 4-5 weeks of use, especially from Hyper Clear which contains some good skin brightening ingredients. Were I to try either of those 2 products, it'd definitely be Hyper Clear. Fat Water's second ingredient is witch hazel, something my skin can no longer handle on a daily or even twice-a-week basis. 

Something I doubt Hyper Clear can do is clear active acne, though it does contain a wee bit of salicylic acid. But it should be able to lift dark acne scars and other hyperpigmentation to some degree. I'm glad you're sticking with it! I'll be very interested in your final assessment. 🙂 

@WinglessOne , I see what you mean.  I think I got swept up by reviews claiming it helped with their hormonal acne.

Also, I did see somewhere in the site it takes 3-4 weeks to see a difference 

@danielledanielle  Oh darn. It’s too bad your not noticing a difference. 

Thank you for sharing this info @danielledanielle 

@greeneyedgirl107  Two products this month (so far): 

Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Mask - a 2-piece cotton sheet mask. The top half was fine, but the bottom half had a useless attached neck piece that I cut off, making this a 3-piece sheet mask. Aside from sheet behavior issues, this was a very underwhelming mask. Didn't cause a bad skin reaction but also didn't do much for my skin. Certainly not worth $7-9 USD per single mask. 

fresh Seaberry Skin Nutrition Cleansing Oil - I bought a bottle for a friend who loves it, and she made me a little sample to try. Unfortunately, something in this stuff caused a very bumpy red angry reaction in my oily zone. Some folks may have gathered by now that I'm an ingredients stickler—I have to be, thanks to my skin's temper tantrums—so of course I checked this product's list before putting it on my face. The last 3 ingredients are volatile fragrance components, but I thought "eh, they're at the very end of the list, how much trouble can they cause?" 🤦‍♀️ Plus, I wonder if I'm sensitive to something higher up the list. Now I'll have to cross reference this product's ingredients with other products and see if there's a troublemaking common denominator. On top of all that, this cleansing oil stung my eyes. Callin' this a big ol' nope. 

@WinglessOne I'm so sorry to hear about your skin's bad reaction!  😞

Thanks @greeneyedgirl107 It's one of those "should've known better" things. The redness has subsided, thanks to some anti-inflammation products, but it'll probably take a while for the bumps to disappear. 

Fresh's products generally don't get along with my face. Their lip balms are fine, but everything else I've tried has caused some kind of bad reaction. Some things I won't try (especially all their rosewater products) because I know they'd tick my skin off. But a few other things contain mostly good ingredients, yet there's just enough yucky stuff to be dangerous. Fresh is going on my banned brands list—well, except for the lip balms, which also really aren't so great for skin but dang it, they smell so good! 😄 

@WinglessOne Glad to hear your skin is doing better! 

I agree that fresh's skincare should be improved.  They should hire you as a consultant!

SEPHORA COLLECTION Line Up Makeup Tape 

It doesn't stick at all! The corners keep lifting off my face.

I’ve always been curious about this, @rosegoldlovely - thanks for sharing, it’s very helpful to have some insight here:)

61 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • best in beauty 2016 v2.jpg
  • 20200815_220057.jpg
  • 20200815_220048.jpg
  • 20200830_140710.jpg
  • 20200831_102735.jpg
  • 56cd3d3a9f7aa568ada4449940f21f70
testing