Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trans is Beautiful
|

Happy to be here!

Hello there community friends. I just joined and I am happy to be here. I am now (after a very LONG time) starting to explore my feminine side and I am looking forward to growing and being able to be myself.

I plan on heading to a Sephora next week to talk to some associates about products. Do you suggest going in dressed up in femme mode or is it ok to go in as male? I have only been in public dressed up once and it didn't go well.

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you everyone. I look forward to the connections here.

~Kam

Re: Happy to be here!

Hello Kam and thank you for your post.  I'm about in the same boat as you were.  Sorry, you had a bad first experience.  In a few weeks, I am going for a makeup service.  I'm hoping to get some basic everyday tips and tricks.  I hope future trips go better for you.

@thatgirlgrace23 Ooo! That’s so exciting! I hope you’ll share your experiences here after!

Hello there @thatgirlgrace23! Thanks for the message and welcome to the group.

I think where I went wrong was to just walk into the store without an appointment. I probably won't do that again. It was quite an unnerving and awkward feeling for sure.

You'll have to fill me in on your trip! I am so excited for you.

Please let me know if you ever want to chat as I would love to be there for you.

Have an amazing day Grace!

~Kam

@KamFray  Its amazing to have you here ❤️

I'm so sorry you hear your trip today didn't go well. *Hug* 

@CynthieLu your kind words have brought a smile to my face. Thank you for that. I feel like I belong here and I haven't felt like that before so thank you. The hug and your kindness is very special to me and I cannot thank you enough.

Even though today didn't turn out like I hoped, feeling like I belong somewhere means the world to me.

I feel amazed at your kindness.

Thank you for the hug too. I really needed that.

❤️kam

@KamFray Welcome! I hope your trip goes well!

Hey @Samtian. The trip today was a difficult one. I won't let it deter me, but it did make me feel a bit inadequate/odd/misfit.

The next time will be better I know.

Thank you again for your support.

🤗kam

@KamFray I'm so sorry to hear that. If you lived near me I would have went with you and we could have been misfits together! 

@Samtian that would have been a lot of fun for sure. I bet we would have had a few laughs.along the way too. Thanks for the offer! We need more misfits like us don't we?

@KamFray Oh for sure! And yes we definitely do!

Hello @Samtian. Thank you for your kind note. The countdown is on and I am getting ready.

I do wish someone could accompany me today but I will get through this and I hope I leave beaming.

I will let you know how it goes!

~kam

@KamFray Welcome to the group! It’s so exciting to hear from someone else exploring their femme side. I’ve done both before and have had a both positive and negative experiences. 

If you are planning to shade match a foundation or concealer, it’s best to go with nothing on your skin. For me, that’s easiest when I’m my usual masc self. 

Hi @JoSometimes.. Thanks for the tip. I will go in with no makeup on and give them a clean slate so to speak. I am very excited to see what they have to say. I hope it's going to be fun!

@KamFray I’m sure it will be. Are you just going to browse around or have you booked some of their services? Be sure to ask lots of questions. It’s a really great way to learn and helpful in figuring out where best to apply products for your facial features. It might also be handy to have a few reference photos of what kind of looks you’d like to achieve. I’m excited for you!

Good morning @JoSometimes. I am just going to browse and talk to someone. At this point I am in for information gathering and to see what works for me at this time. I am fairly sure I will be a little overwhelmed.

As for questions, my favorite one is still "why" so I am completely covered there.

I did look at the 90 minute package and I think I will do that at one point.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement. 

~ kam

@KamFrayLooking forward to hearing about your adventure today!

And definitely do the makeup service if you can! I did the 60 minute one and it was worth it. Some locations also offer a 75 minute lesson. 

Hey there @JoSometimes. Thanks for checking in on me. I dearly appreciate it!

I would loved to have told everyone that today was an amazing experience but that was unfortunately far from the case.

I went into the store (the first time going into one so the layout was a challenge) and someone asked if I wanted help and I said I wanted to get some tips on makeup and some suggested products. She looked a bit shocked/surprised but said I should go over to the makeup section and she'd get someone to help me out.

After I went to the section, I stood there for about 10 minutes and nobody came over, even though there were a lot of staff in the store. Then the store started to get busy and a few customers seemed to have had funny looks at me, so I left.

I can't say I am heartbroken, but I am not going to lie, it was very hard. It has been a down rest of the day.

Thank you for listening!

~kam 😞

@KamFray I’m so sorry that was your first experience in the beauty world. I’ve been there too and it sucks when you’re ignored or left to the side. I’m sorry the advisors weren’t helpful at all today. Don’t give up though! Hopefully, next time you’re able to work with someone who is passionate about beauty and is willing to share their knowledge.

Some stores have a personal shopping service, so you can book dedicated time with an advisor. Or if you do want to sit down and book makeup services, you’re welcome to use it as you see fit. Part of it could be dedicated applying makeup and the remainder of the time can be set aside to wander around the store with them looking at different products. You can even leave a note requesting for someone who has worked with trans people before or is at least willing to try.

And if you have any questions about anything, you’re more than welcome to ask here too! There are some things that are tricky to address online but we’ll do out best here. 🙂

Hello @JoSometimes. These are great tips for the next time. I think booking something with someone with trans experience is the way to go.

Thank you for your guidance and willingness to help guide me along this journey.

Hugs to you. 🤗

@KamFray There’s no guarantee that any of the employees will have experience working with members of the trans community, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I hope you’re able to find something that works for you and your next experience is more positive!

Another one to look out for is Sephora’s Bold Beauty class. That one is meant for members of the trans community. Not sure where you’re located, but in Canada, they happen in the summer time around pride season.

24 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 81 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing